Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
thats makes sense as far as full peak fare or off peak fare as appropriate, they shirley cant charge peak fare when traveling through Burgess Hill at 11:30.

They will if you attempt to buy onboard the train or after you've made your journey , remember they're closing all ticket offices too so you'll have to negotiate the ticket machine and then find a cheap fare on that, good luck

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
They will if you attempt to buy onboard the train or after you've made your journey , remember they're closing all ticket offices too so you'll have to negotiate the ticket machine and then find a cheap fare on that, good luck

This. Don't believe any of the GTR bullshit propaganda. None of these moves are in any way designed to improve the customer service. This reasonable GTR "we can't understand what the fuss is about, we only want to improve the customer experience" nonsense is driving me mad. I can only liken it to some of the bullshit Archer and Bellotti came out with during the dark times-to the ill informed they sometimes came across as reasonable and made us look like the troublemakers.
Oh and once the new 700 Thameslink trains come into service they want the driver to self dispatch from everywhere, even terminus stations so when ur all running for a train, the driver will only be able to look at his monitors so will shut the doors and go. Very safe and why? So that GTR can get rid of platform staff too. If they could get away with installing travelators between here and London and make you all walk then they would. And they would even switch those off to save money!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Gah! I was looking forward to saving £100 by not having to commute next Tuesday and Wednesday and they've only gone and ruined it for me.

This. Effing militant ****s. At least if you're going to plan action, stick to it. Some of us have stuff to plan around those working from home days, especially now the evenings are lighter. ***ts. [emoji3]

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
This. Effing militant ****s. At least if you're going to plan action, stick to it. Some of us have stuff to plan around those working from home days, especially now the evenings are lighter. ***ts. [emoji3]
I suspect it is because of the docking of 2 days pay for 1 days strike if it goes over 2 distinct days ( surely illegal, but it'll still need to be challenged in court ). So in order to put an end to this disgrace they had to rearrange the strike time ( and still give the required legal notice of the change ).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So, no strike, but a 'shortage of conductors' causing delays and cancellations across the whole SASTA network. Entirely coincidental it's the warmest day of the year so far of course.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

albionite

May 20, 2009
So, no strike, but a 'shortage of conductors' causing delays and cancellations across the whole SASTA network. Entirely coincidental it's the warmest day of the year so far of course.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Company told conductors no more overtime if they went on strike, you can't blame them if they have decided to take their rest days off. Unless you believe the spin it's all about sickness.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This. Don't believe any of the GTR bullshit propaganda. None of these moves are in any way designed to improve the customer service. This reasonable GTR "we can't understand what the fuss is about, we only want to improve the customer experience" nonsense is driving me mad. I can only liken it to some of the bullshit Archer and Bellotti came out with during the dark times-to the ill informed they sometimes came across as reasonable and made us look like the troublemakers.
Oh and once the new 700 Thameslink trains come into service they want the driver to self dispatch from everywhere, even terminus stations so when ur all running for a train, the driver will only be able to look at his monitors so will shut the doors and go. Very safe and why? So that GTR can get rid of platform staff too. If they could get away with installing travelators between here and London and make you all walk then they would. And they would even switch those off to save money!

The trouble is that we passengers have little time for either side. It's only my principles that make me back the conductors. However, I have little respect for the people that work on the railways - on either side. They show me no respect as a passenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
winning no support from those us who had planned to take holiday on the Friday.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Surprised they didn't but not enough time too but doubt there will be a usual service as no way have they got enough guards to work it

This is probably a really thick question but you seem to know your stuff. If this is all ultimately leading to guard-free trains and self dispatching why can't they run the trains that they can't staff at the moment without the guard? Why is it unsafe to run without the guard now but not in six months or a year's time?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Isn't this '"unusually high level of sickness" tactic just playing into Southern management's hands? Southern seem perfectly happy quoting that line with the same straight face the unions are. It gives Southern an always-welcome excuse not to have to run a proper service. They can just run any length trains as and when they see fit. It's their perfect scenario, similar to the first leaf-fall of autumn or the first snowflake of winter.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Isn't this '"unusually high level of sickness" tactic just playing into Southern management's hands? Southern seem perfectly happy quoting that line with the same straight face the unions are. It gives Southern an always-welcome excuse not to have to run a proper service. They can just run any length trains as and when they see fit. It's their perfect scenario, similar to the first leaf-fall of autumn or the first snowflake of winter.

It's not over high, slightly more than average( believe there is around 25 off sick at moment) more a case of guards not working their rest days.
Today there was signal failure and a power failure in the Clapham area that caused a few trains 2 hour delays but gtr have blamed this on sick guards. Spin spin spin.

They have been understaffed for a few years now and rely on staff doing overtime/rest day workings.
When drivers stop working overtime you will notice it a lot more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here