Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Well it might be YOUR future. For now. But what about the huge section of the community who might not be so physically or mentally able to use an app or a ticket machine? What chance have THEY got?

Plus, if there's only machines, the queues will be longer for everyone, including the tech savvy, as they'll be stuck behind someone who doesn't know what they're doing and have no one to ask.

If they're (staff) going to be 'station hosts' or whatever, helping people buy tickets, then why the bas***d f*** can't they do it behind a window marked 'tickets'. Makes no sense.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Plus, if there's only machines, the queues will be longer for everyone, including the tech savvy, as they'll be stuck behind someone who doesn't know what they're doing and have no one to ask.

If they're (staff) going to be 'station hosts' or whatever, helping people buy tickets, then why the bas***d f*** can't they do it behind a window marked 'tickets'. Makes no sense.

the machines are frequently broken or vandalised and the ticket office staff have to sort them out, also not everyone has credit cards to buy online tickets or has such an organised life style.
Bus to work (instead of train) broke down this morning, not sure my boss believed me ....

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The much vaunted German railway system had no ticket office just machines (even at the airport) or any visible sign of guards or revenue collectors on trains. Seemed to work OK when we used it last month.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Oh come on, they are taking the piss now.

"Aslef said "ongoing issues" over the imposition of new rosters to facilitate the introduction of an emergency timetable on Southern remain unresolved."

So in essence, they are striking because they don't agree to a new emergency timetable that had to be implemented because of the other strike!

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
The much vaunted German railway system had no ticket office just machines (even at the airport) or any visible sign of guards or revenue collectors on trains. Seemed to work OK when we used it last month.

I have no in depth knowledge of German railways but the last two trips in the last couple of years I have used them I bought my ticket from the ticket office (in Kiel - large and efficient) and showed said tickets to the guard on the train. Probably taken 5 or 6 trains during those trips and each train had a guard. I honestly don't know who shuts the doors but I'd be willing to bet it is either the guard or the driver with the aid of platform staff,

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh come on, they are taking the piss now.

So in essence, they are striking because they don't agree to a new emergency timetable that had to be implemented because of the other strike!

I'm sure they're just putting the safety of passengers first. Again.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I haven't studied 200 entries but can anyone explain the background to this?
The. RMT. Say that Southern plan to run their trains with drivers only...... Southern say the opposite, they are just changing some duties so conductor's serve passengers more..presummably inspect more tickets..

Someone is not telling the truth......

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I haven't studied 200 entries but can anyone explain the background to this?
The. RMT. Say that Southern plan to run their trains with drivers only...... Southern say the opposite, they are just changing some duties so conductor's serve passengers more..presummably inspect more tickets..

Someone is not telling the truth......

thats it in a nutshell, except theres no "opposite" both are part of the same plan. you'll need to read the whole 200 pages to savor the reasons, claims and counterclaims.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I just happened to be on the same sorry SASTA service as one Mr T Bloom this afternoon, from Victoria supposedly heading to Ore / L'hampton via HH. Train terminated at Haywards Heath, and so I had to hop on a connection to Brighton where there was a door failure and the driver got really pissed at the passengers stupidly pulling the emergency cord, then a connection to Hove, then a connection towards Littlehampton.

Tony Bloom got off at Brighton, and I can safely report: he was not a happy bunny.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I just happened to be on the same sorry SASTA service as one Mr T Bloom this afternoon, from Victoria supposedly heading to Ore / L'hampton via HH. Train terminated at Haywards Heath, and so I had to hop on a connection to Brighton where there was a door failure and the driver got really pissed at the passengers stupidly pulling the emergency cord, then a connection to Hove, then a connection towards Littlehampton.

Tony Bloom got off at Brighton, and I can safely report: he was not a happy bunny.

its shafted daily.

A while back we used to have a thread about it here for all such issues , its so screwed now that it isn't even reported. Just the norm.

Southern have won in a way

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I don't disagree with your wider point about valuing frontline staff. However I haven't bought a ticket in a ticket office for over a year. I buy online on an app and collect from a ticket machine at the station. Like it or not that is the future.

Although at lunchtime I collected my wad of tickets to get to Derby, first 12 printed out but there was then a printer error so it didn't print the last four (there are only two of us travelling!!) so I had to go to the ticket office and he printed out the other four tickets.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Although at lunchtime I collected my wad of tickets to get to Derby, first 12 printed out but there was then a printer error so it didn't print the last four (there are only two of us travelling!!) so I had to go to the ticket office and he printed out the other four tickets.

16 tickets for 2 to go to Derby. Pray tell......

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
its shafted daily.

A while back we used to have a thread about it here for all such issues , its so screwed now that it isn't even reported. Just the norm.

Southern have won in a way

With London Bridge lines fooked, it was carnage at Victoria tonight, reminded me of the worst days of the old rail strikes in the mid 90s. There were delays and cancellations at Victoria ('awaiting a member of the train crew' seemed to be the most common) and the trains that did leave were absolutely bursting - loads of people simply couldn't get on. I spent a total of 6 hours getting to and from Canary Wharf from Burgess Hill today - with the Underground working completely effectively.

It's a ******* shambles.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
following some problem hours earlier in Littlehampton that had pushed the network over its perpetual edge of failure, i waited at Victoria around 9 this evening for a train - any train - to take me southwards. i heard a regular pattern of announcment "can the conducter for charlie alpha 2 x whatever please make their to platform ...". a GX train came in and went. and another. with platforms 16-19 occupied by already late trains i got on the next GX and was on my way, better to be on the move. in 45 minutes 3 trains had left, and 4 had not, the common factor of those leaving and those staying whether they needed to have a conductor or not. prehaps we should have a surplus of conductors "on the bench" ready for such events, kicking their heals most of their time, or prehaps we can use technology so the conductor is not absolutly necessary on every train (except of course those its not already necessary) :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So it looks like the strike next week is going ahead then ? Full page 'Apology' from SASTA in the Metro this morning.

At least trains are running to London Bridge again this morning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here