Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Southend (not Southport) - machete fight

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It’s quite interesting ( actually no it’s boring as f*** ) but as part of my degree I was asked to read Gibbon, The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire and naturally I read as little as possible, but it was stark reading the fall of Rome and Roman Empire to the vandals and visigoths etc and how much Gibbon attributed to the breakdown of society, the collapse of law and order and the blaming and persecution of those society saw as being undesirables…..

fast forward to present days and the collapse of the British empire and the French Empire by the same pressures that brought down Roman society.

yes ok we have not been invaded by tribes trying to smash our society ( unless you are a EDL moron who thinks that Muslims are the modern day incarnation of the vandals and Visigoth’s and are packing the boats with jehadis coming here to enact sharia law) but you can see parallels of the way society is breaking down with the total disregard for the forces of law and order and the brazen “ you can’t touch me I have rights and I will film it all and out it on social media” that persists in parts of our society

apart from that, Gibbon is a bloody hard read!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was in Amsterdam for the Albion game and IMO it's a lot nicer and no more dangerous than London. Vegas two years ago. Had a fantastic and very safe time. Provincial towns in The Netherlands are also safe and 'nice' IMO.
Yes but people were not walking around all the main streets puffing spliffs like they do on Granville street in Vancouver.

It is.....civilised in Holland.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Don't know about LA but San Fran is where my company is based and I know people there. It has a MASSIVE Fentynal problem and that drug isn't legal in CA. It also has ridiculous property prices. Weed is the least of its worries.
After my operation I had a Fentanyl pump and all it does is send you to sleep didn’t get any high whatsoever. When I was getting better they switched me to Oxy which I must admit was mourish.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
No things would be much worse as if you remove the drug gangs income source they would then turn to robbery with violence against the general public to maintain their lifestyle
Only way to beat to gangs is to take them out permanently but we can't do that so we just all have to grin and bear it .
do you derive income from drug gangs?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
A sad indictment of society today. No one gives a fook about anything and thinks they can do whatever they like without consequence. Southport last night, Southend, twat on a bus in Brighton, Manchester Airport. Doesn't just have to be violence, you see all those videos of people just brazenly going into shops and effectively looting them without challenge. Where did it all go wrong, let alone how do you fix it.
was it thatcher doing away with community spirit?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It’s quite interesting ( actually no it’s boring as f*** ) but as part of my degree I was asked to read Gibbon, The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire and naturally I read as little as possible, but it was stark reading the fall of Rome and Roman Empire to the vandals and visigoths etc and how much Gibbon attributed to the breakdown of society, the collapse of law and order and the blaming and persecution of those society saw as being undesirables…..

fast forward to present days and the collapse of the British empire and the French Empire by the same pressures that brought down Roman society.

yes ok we have not been invaded by tribes trying to smash our society ( unless you are a EDL moron who thinks that Muslims are the modern day incarnation of the vandals and Visigoth’s and are packing the boats with jehadis coming here to enact sharia law) but you can see parallels of the way society is breaking down with the total disregard for the forces of law and order and the brazen “ you can’t touch me I have rights and I will film it all and out it on social media” that persists in parts of our society

apart from that, Gibbon is a bloody hard read!
There's a lot of truth in what you say. I've become quite addicted to YouTube videos of drunken / obnoxious americans getting arrested (once you've watched a few, your YouTube sidebar gets peppered with them). Its all bodycam footage, and I am often left literally AGOG at the entitlement, disrespect and foul abuse these officers have to deal with. To a man and woman they are polite and respectful to the perp, and do their level best to calm things down and de-escalate the situation, but so often they are just met with violence, rage, spitting and disgusting abuse, which they have to put up with. The "AHH KNOW MAH RIGHTS" and "I AIN'T DONE NOTHIN BRO" brigade. You could literally have a bingo card for these morons.

Now I'm not naive enough to be blind to the "bad apples" there are in the police force who abuse their authority, we've all seen the terrible instances from the wrong-uns in the Met in particular. But I'm satisfied that they are in a tiny minority, with the vast majority of officers doing a damn good job, often in horrendous circumstances, having to show restraint and bravery. And if these scumbags are ever in any kind of peril themselves, the first thing they'd do is call 999 / 911 to have them turn up and save the day. So its really quite quite sickening how some behave towards them.

I've gone off on a bit of a tangent, but my point is - I would NEVER feel entitled enough to run my mouth off and abuse a police officer. They are the thin blue line that prevents society from descending into anarchy. With no police, law enforcement or justice system, we are just animals in the wild who can be attacked and picked off by anyone. Like in Mad Max, or Croydon.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Listened to a number of podcasts, which included undercover cops, a member of govt drug classification team, lawyers (both defence and prosecution) and all said the war on drugs is dead and that some form of legalisation is the only way forward. stopping organised crime is where the real police effort has to go

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here