Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Southend (not Southport) - machete fight

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Agree. It's a lost war. Legalise drugs - like fags and booze. Crime would drop - black market almost wiped out over night - and then carry out the same tactics as for smoking. The war on drugs is an utterly pointless war.

Have you ever been to Vancouver? Recently to NYC or LA where they have relaxed drug laws? It is not the answer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Have you ever been to Vancouver? Recently to NYC or LA where they have relaxed drug laws? It is not the answer.
I was in Amsterdam for the Albion game and IMO it's a lot nicer and no more dangerous than London. Vegas two years ago. Had a fantastic and very safe time. Provincial towns in The Netherlands are also safe and 'nice' IMO.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I was in Amsterdam for the Albion game and IMO it's a lot nicer and no more dangerous than London. Vegas two years ago. Had a fantastic and very safe time.

Amsterdam is heavily regulated, yes some drugs are legal but with a lot of caveats. Vegan, you don't f*** about because it's not the police you worry about.

Think in England, a country where the majority of the population can't even have a beer without luzzing a chair along with an underfunded and ineffective police force. It would turn the place into an opening scene of The Walking Dead. Just like Vancouver, NYC and LA.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Amsterdam is heavily regulated, yes some drugs are legal but with a lot of caveats. Vegan, you don't f*** about because it's not the police you worry about.

Think in England, a country where the majority of the population can't even have a beer without luzzing a chair along with an underfunded and ineffective police force. It would turn the place into an opening scene of The Walking Dead. Just like Vancouver, NYC and LA.
There's an excellent book by Travis Lupick about the drug problems in Vancouver called 'Fighting for Space'. Well worth reading.

They've been rocked, as many cities have on that side of the globe, by the opioid crisis.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Are you sure about this? I have never seen this in Faversham, and have never been offered it. I would suggest that 95% of all tobacco and alcohol sold in the UK is taxed.
Well, it's Faversham!

And I don't know the stats. Where did your 95% come from? You could well be right. What is your source?

I could take you on a tour around Worthing where you can buy baccy and booze "under the counter".

My sister went on a recent trip to the US and brought me back 5 x 50g of Golden Virginia at £6 per pouch. Its around £30 in Tesco. The difference is tax and duty.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Well, it's Faversham!

And I don't know the stats. Where did your 95% come from? You could well be right. What is your source?

I could take you on a tour around Worthing where you can buy baccy and booze "under the counter".

My sister went on a recent trip to the US and brought me back 5 x 50g of Golden Virginia at £6 per pouch. Its around £30 in Tesco. The difference is tax and duty.
Living in London loads of newsagents sell smuggled tobacco/cigs if they know you. My local shop took a £5k fine and still carries on selling he makes that much.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, it's Faversham!

I accept that places vary.

Also, though, you can bring back a fair bit of baccy bought abroad, legally.

I'm relaxed about how we tax fags and booze, and a bit of contraband. Probably far more tax is 'lost' via cash in hand. Especially cleaners. Much more important things to worry about :thumbsup:

Bald Head

Jul 20, 2022
Brighton
Well, it's Faversham!

Same in Brighton i have a under the counter outlet where i purchase my baccy.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Have to say it never occurred to me to pack a machete for away days there even though the locals could be a little feisty
A few though did made the effort to "greet" us on Canvey Island after the infamous 1995 FA cup tie

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
It's almost as silly as the Secret Service having to defend their poor operations while a bunch of Republican US Senators can't see at all their own implication in the attempted Trump assassination by never even attempting to stem the proliferation of guns and gun violence in the US.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
LA/SFO is a complete dump, but I am not sure that is down to drugs (obviously part of the reason) but homelessness.
Don't know about LA but San Fran is where my company is based and I know people there. It has a MASSIVE Fentynal problem and that drug isn't legal in CA. It also has ridiculous property prices. Weed is the least of its worries.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
In the early 2000's, I used to stay in Southend due to work on a regular basis. Looking at this thread, It's nice to see that things have improved markedly since then.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In the early 2000's, I used to stay in Southend due to work on a regular basis. Looking at this thread, It's nice to see that things have improved markedly since then.
Walking up to Roots Hall early evening of Friday 22nd August, to see us win 2-0 (Murray, Forster) and go top of League One, when just in front of us -HUGE bloke with England tattoos walking a bulldog spots a Southend fan heading to the game;

"Oo you playin today then?"

"Brighton"

"Bunch of FACKIN POOFTAS"

We swiftly closed our jackets over our Brighton shirts.

We later saw an Albion fan in the away end wearing a BERET. I shit you not.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Can we buy an island and deport any criminal like we used to do with Australia?

I'm semi serious. It seems to me that prisons are rammed, so any policy pushing for longer sentences is doomed to fail and criminals know they won't serve their sentence.

Might be more of a detterant if they were sent somewhere permanently. Suspect Australia won't be keen, what about some of the Scottish islands that are not inhabited?

Or maybe non violent crimes should suffer a different punishment to prison to free up space for violent offenders?

It clearly isn't working so try something different?

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021

I'm semi serious. It seems to me that prisons are rammed, so any policy pushing for longer sentences is doomed to fail and criminals know they won't serve their sentence.

Might be more of a deterrent if they were sent somewhere permanently. Suspect Australia won't be keen, what about some of the Scottish islands that are not inhabited?

Or maybe non violent crimes should suffer a different punishment to prison to free up space for violent offenders?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Might be more of a detterant if they were sent somewhere permanently. Suspect Australia won't be keen, what about some of the Scottish islands that are not inhabited?

Non violent criminals shouldn't be in prison. They should be set to work to make amends. Conviction is humiliation enough. The punishment should be to make better. Violent offenders are different. Society should be spared their presence.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Non violent criminals shouldn't be in prison. They should be set to work to make amends. Conviction is humiliation enough. The punishment should be to make better. Violent offenders are different. Society should be spared their presence.

Also:

Burglars
Online sex offenders
Drug traffickers, conspiracy to supply, conspiracy to import
Money laundering
Repeat drink/drug drivers
Repeat fraudsters

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Walking up to Roots Hall early evening of Friday 22nd August, to see us win 2-0 (Murray, Forster) and go top of League One, when just in front of us -HUGE bloke with England tattoos walking a bulldog spots a Southend fan heading to the game;

"Oo you playin today then?"

"Brighton"

"Bunch of FACKIN POOFTAS"

We swiftly closed our jackets over our Brighton shirts.

We later saw an Albion fan in the away end wearing a BERET. I shit you not.
IMG_1614.jpeg

Palace has a beret wearing fan too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here