Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Southampton vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
You can see why Southampton have done so well recently, they looked very impressive. Exciting times at St Mary’s.

Our recruitment needs to be spot on for next season.

Oh and we are staying up.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
You can see why Southampton have done so well recently, they looked very impressive. Exciting times at St Mary’s.

Our recruitment needs to be spot on for next season.

Oh and we are staying up.

After that result against Leicester, you have to hold your hands up and say fair ****ing play to them.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If you listen carefully, you can hear Chris Sutton crying in the distance. Tosser.

Took him 3 replays to realise Ryan had saved that shot when most could surely see it after 1 - then was all smug he’d called it... Also claimed there was a handball by Dunk on the line at first in another incident. Couldn’t grasp the stat on Le Tissiers goals was different because they’d played more games. Strange ‘pundit’.

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
Took him 3 replays to realise Ryan had saved that shot when most could surely see it after 1 - then was all smug he’d called it... Also claimed there was a handball by Dunk on the line at first in another incident. Couldn’t grasp the stat on Le Tissiers goals was different because they’d played more games. Strange ‘pundit’.
Also called out Maupay as a cheat/diver and hinted at retrospective. There's contact to his side and he went down, ref was good in not giving it cos there wasn't enough. Really do hate them BT Sport lot, bunch of amateurs. Yeah a lot of cock ups from him tonight! Thought Sidwell was fair and unbiased actually!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
As I mentioned before - 2 wins for muff or villa and 2 defeats for us would be a minimum 4 goal swing. 9 isn’t out the equation completely. But then you have Watford and West Ham still down there too and I doubt Villa and Bournemouth will be trying to thrash teams - we just can’t lose 3-0 or worse to Newcastle or it may get twitchy..

A 9 goal swing wouldn’t be out of the question if Muff had Norwich to play and we had City, United or Liverpool. But they don’t, and we don’t.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Also called out Maupay as a cheat/diver and hinted at retrospective. There's contact to his side and he went down, ref was good in not giving it cos there wasn't enough. Really do hate them BT Sport lot, bunch of amateurs. Yeah a lot of cock ups from him tonight! Thought Sidwell was fair and unbiased actually!

Yep - that was mental to say that. Wasn’t a pen but wasn’t a dive. To liken it to Grealish was so so so unfair.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
A 9 goal swing wouldn’t be out of the question if Muff had Norwich to play and we had City, United or Liverpool. But they don’t, and we don’t.

Also, unless Watford beat West Ham, they are extremely vulnerable with Man City and a seemingly improving Arsenal to finish up.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Well I havent seen much of Potterball for a long time. More like Hughton but not as good. Great we are staying up but does Potter after 36 games have any idea how he wants to play or any idea what team he wants..

This is a very old school opinion.

Potter is a modern progressive manager. There is no “one way to play”, “this is my best team and I always play this 11” mindset with us anymore.

We are capable of adapting our style and system, mid game even.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yep - that was mental to say that. Wasn’t a pen but wasn’t a dive. To liken it to Grealish was so so so unfair.

Absolutely!

Don't recall any sky pundit calling for retrospective action against Grealish for a dive that would have embarrassed Zaha!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Lets be honest, it was an underserved point despite the 1-0 lead at half time
This is the premier league and we are like Wycombe and Luton in the championship

I have been reliably informed that "It evens out over a season"

We got a point in a game that we got battered in.. So what! It doesn't come close to the points we haven't picked up where we have outplayed the opposition.
Saints much vaunted win against City was an even more extreme case, of nicking undeserved points.

To your second point. Whatever!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Bit old fashioned wanting the same tactics and same personnel each week. Enjoy the fact we gave Southampton a bloody nose first half with a clever 3-4-2-1, but when Saints really started to play and we had a few passengers, reverted to 4-4-2, then 5–4-1 to earn the point.

We’ll see next season what Potter is really up to with his philosophy and a few signings hopefully making it more of a team he shapes than he inherited.
This. Potter has shown he is tactically bold and it has led to us starting on the front foot in key games since lockdown.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Lets be honest, it was an underserved point despite the 1-0 lead at half time
This is the premier league and we are like Wycombe and Luton in the championship
Bit harsh on Wycombe, they've never played in the 2nd tier in their history!

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Of course anyone has the right to be livid...but should we be?

New manager, new to the prem, change of playing style, change of the old (hughton) guard, coronavirus, ridiculously demanding fans and yet we are all but safe, have scored more points than last season and play better football.

I, for one, will not be livid unless we somehow go down!

Ok maybe livid is too strong, I would be angry if we play like that over the next two games as the pressure is massively off.

As I said we had a job to do against saints and we got what we needed at any expense but we can’t be playing that like regularly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Great to see Muzza start a game, genuinely thought I would never see that again.
Certainly not in partnership with Maupay away from home!
Gets a decent assist too. It felt like Christmas!.

Absolutely battered in the second half a proper Thieves like us result.

6 games unbeaten away from home against 5 top performing teams.
Mighty impressive stuff. Potter has out Hughtoned Hughton in the runin.

Happy days.

Was great (in hindsight) to see Muzza start; and what a run (well, jog) into space for the assist. Yep, the Saints defence for that was woeful, but you can only beat what you’re facing, and he did. Thanks, Glenn - a major contribution to a vital point. ‘Twas ever thus.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
6 away games undefeated is good form. I really don’t know what some fans actually want. We’ve also been playing two games a week in summer so the team has to be rotated.

8 points from 6 games, 3 of which included ManUtd, Liverpool and ManCity. Have people seen other teams form since lockdown return?? 8 points. I’d have said you were likely crazy in May had you said to me we’d go into the Newcastle game on 37pts with a chance of finishing 13th or 14th. :albion2:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ok maybe livid is too strong, I would be angry if we play like that over the next two games as the pressure is massively off.

As I said we had a job to do against saints and we got what we needed at any expense but we can’t be playing that like regularly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought Murray deserved a bit more credit for that flick, as it was made turned to face his on goal so coming from his left to right. Not sure that was as easy as it looked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here