Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South Today Falmer Week

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Sorry I missed this thread but just to point out that the farmer doesn't own the land he's tennent farmer. Like I said earlier I like so many have been made redundant more than once and right now I'm having real problems finding work partly because of my age.

Yes I have sympathy for the farmer but what about all the BHA employees who could lose their jobs ?

Sorry Mr Farmer but shit happens.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
bhaexpress said:
Sorry Mr Farmer but shit happens.
Most of it on farms

I'll repeat what I said in response to Yorkie and Buzza's comments, when South East Today showed the piece about the Farmer (on Wednesday):-

Yorkie said:
What a biased report :angry: :angry:
Actually, Yorkie, far less biased that most Falmer residents. He made the point that the stadium site is only part of his field, that it will replace the University buildings and that none of it is in parish of Falmer.

He also said that the village will not be affected by parking on matchdays.

When he gave evidence at the Inquiry, I was impressed then by the fact that he never tried to exaggerate. What he did say was that he would look to relocate his farming activities if the stadium is built, and he accepted that his current landholding is hardly big enough to be viable.

Buzza said:
Just watched it on South EAST today.

I'd like to think the farmer would be compensated in some way for loss of livelihood.
He's a tenant farmer. I hope his landlord (Brighton & Hove City Council) offer him a suitable deal and help him relocate.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
brightonfan_86 said:
I watched South East Today, and they are covering it aswell. And they did the Nimby point of view and they where talking to the Farmer who owns the land and he said one of the stands will block the sky on top of that hill. What aload of bollocks.

:lolol: :lol:

Classic! He probably still points at aeroplanes too.

Reminds me of the kids story Chicken Licken. The one about the sky falling in, for those too old/young to remember.

Also featuring cameo appearances from Goosey Lucy and Turkey Lurkey

:clap2:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I agree with Lord B. I thought the farmer's film was pretty reasonable, he didn't make outlandish claims and while it was true that the pond was featured (I believe that is a now a legal requirement in all films on Falmer), it didn't go over the top.

It's no good claiming it was biased: of course it was biased - it was meant to reflect the antis' viewpoint.

As I posted yesterday, the real disappointment was Harty's effort which did nothing to promote Falmer and nothing to show the reality of this 'AONB'.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Just read your post Gwlan take on board what you say but what you must remember I filmed most of a morning though I put a good case across but once the edit is done what I would have liked put out and what went out are not one and the same.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The land at Falmer where the stadium is allocated is all chalk and flints, with maybe a bit of sandstone (thats what gives Falmer its name, Fal = sandy*, mere = pool) and is rubbish land for farming. No good for playing football on either. New soil and turf required. Got to have some discrimination. (* fal like fallow-coloured)

There isn't a view (not yet) because the topography of the brow of the hill means you cannot see down into the dip.

This is all very clear from a cursory look at the site. It will not missed by the Inspectors.

This crappy land should not have been farmed in the first place. It is not productive enough. Just the type of land that should be taken out of agricultural production and put to a better use.

From the very moment it was ploughed up, it lost any quality as downland.

The land has not got any farming merit. This would not make a good TV though.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here