Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South Downs Way

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I am thinking of walking the South Downs way (Eastbourne - Winchester). Has anybody done this? I thought I'd take 6/7 days probably getting picked up and dropped off most days. Anyone got an itinerary, thoughts, experience they'd be willing to share?

Thanks

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I've done half of it over a period of three days. I have also done much of Offa's Dyke in one go (six days). I shall give you some practical tips once dinner has been sorted out!

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Cycled it a coupla years ago - best to go west to east with the wind behind you - plenty of places to stay en route and this map and book are musts:

51CDYqWZ0%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
ref=dp_image_0
51GHxYZK3pL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
My niece has cycled it in 13 hrs. But then she only takes 11 hrs complete an Iron man. :eek:

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
A mate of mine did this but didn't take any money or a mobile or anything other than the bare essentials really.

All I can remember him saying is that he had to do about 50 miles in two days because he ran out of food and how he wished he'd taken a change of footwear (torrential rain caused blisters).

Would love to give this a go myself one day, such a beautiful part of the world. I take the Downs for granted.

I've done the support bit - driving out every evening to greet the walkers when they reached their destination for the night, delivering supplies and picking up unwanted stuff. This was years ago - for a mixed group of teenage kids. Only one of the girls on the walk got pregnant.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The prevailing wind is West to East so its betters to do it the other way.

Many years ago I did it from Petersfield to Eastbourne, over a bank holiday weekend

I've cycled this in a day and know the SDW well from hiking also. Get laminated pages of the route, it's no fun trying to work out which way to go when it's hacking it down and your paper map is turning to mush. If you can get hold of a decent GPS and download the route then use the maps as back up all the better. Some of the signposting is sketchy notably around Alfriston. There is a National Trail Guide that covers the route and will highlight areas of interest when on foot. Take plenty of snacks and water, it's pretty hilly in places apart from the first 20 miles out of Winchester which to be honest is pretty mundane and was added on in the 80's in order to try and trace the original downland route. I'd think about starting at Queen Elizabeth Country park near Petersfield for this reason and just do the original 80miles, travelling west to Eastbourne to avoid having the prevailing south westerly in your face. You'll be rewarded with fantastic views (check out the visual impact of the new stadium between Ditchling Beacon and the top of Streat hill) but also the depressing effect that modern agribusiness has had on the downs in many places. Oh and don't try it in the winter unless your a seasoned hiker and used to the elements...Good luck!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'd love to do walk both the South Downs Way and from Land's End to John O'Groats. But my map reading skills are no-where near good enough!!

Me too, think I might do LE to JO'G by bike though, I don't have the patience to walk it :)

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've done it in 15 hours 40 minutes from Queen Elizabeth Park to Eastbourne. The record for the event I run (see signature link) is under 14 hours.
For " normal" people, 3 - 4 days should easily see the original 80 miles done. In summer, it's an enjoyable and fulfilling walk. I first did the whole thing backpacking in 3 days between Christmas and New Year, but the short daylight hours made it quite tough, especially as we spent too long in pubs in the evenings - plough at Pyecombe on the first night having covered 50 miles in 9 hours!
The route finding is generally easy due to waymarking being good, but occasionally it let's you down badly, so a bit of map reading ability is helpful. There's also a couple of very dangerous road crossings - the A24, A29 and Pyecombe by the golf course.
Well worth doing, but as others have said, do it Eastwards. If nothing else, it's a much better finish across Seven Sisters an Beachy Head than stopping at Queen Elizabeth Park or the boring bit into Winchester.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Can I suggest you do it from Winchester to Eastbourne? Not just for prevailing winds but also for the sense of achievement. The Winchester end is a pub carpark and roundabout, the Eastbourne end is Beachy Head, the Belle Tout lighthouse and stunning vistas. Trust me, after 6 or so days walking you want to end it in style.

Good luck, Matthew.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Have walked it once and cycled it 4 times - Alot of hills

Get the guide book -seem to remember the winchester to Petersfield section is not too well sign posted [may have improved by now]

I think there is an east west and a west east version - its difficult with the wrong version everythings back to front

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here