Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South Downs National Park. Government announcement July 2nd

This must be too good to be coincidence. The National Park had been on the backburner for months and suddenly, 2nd July an announcement......with the proposed 'Falmer' stadium site outside it.
There is no prospect of any early announcement about the final boundary of the National Park.

All that is happening is that Defra have invited comments from interested parties on the possible effect of the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006 on the possible boundaries of the South Downs National Park. They are also seeking comments on a possible variation to the boundary between Petersfield and Pulborough.

They have floated a suggestion that the National Park Inquiry might be re-opened, possibly in late November.

The 2 July "announcement" is no such thing. All that will happen then is that Defra will officially publish the background papers on the 2006 Act and the maps of options in the Petersfield - Pulborough area. They will also publish the report on the earlier Public Inquiry - but that won't be a decision about the boundaries.

The reason the Argus published a story is that Defra have just written to the "interested parties" telling them about this further consultation exercise.

This will have no impact on the Falmer stadium announcement.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
the nighmare scenario would be if the Government chose to pospone the decision to allow for further consultation as to teh boundries of the National Park.

What baffles me is why the hell we dont just move the stadium twenty yards away from the road, so we wont have to have the coach turn around bit and coach stop in LDC's land. Surely that would have negated all this crap in the first place.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
OK... received a letter from DEFRA about this today... please can Lord B let me know if I/we should do anything re the new public consultation being talked about... do we all need to write letters (again)?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
There is no prospect of any early announcement about the final boundary of the National Park.

All that is happening is that Defra have invited comments from interested parties on the possible effect of the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006 on the possible boundaries of the South Downs National Park. They are also seeking comments on a possible variation to the boundary between Petersfield and Pulborough.

They have floated a suggestion that the National Park Inquiry might be re-opened, possibly in late November.

The 2 July "announcement" is no such thing. All that will happen then is that Defra will officially publish the background papers on the 2006 Act and the maps of options in the Petersfield - Pulborough area. They will also publish the report on the earlier Public Inquiry - but that won't be a decision about the boundaries.

The reason the Argus published a story is that Defra have just written to the "interested parties" telling them about this further consultation exercise.

This will have no impact on the Falmer stadium announcement.

No impact on announcement, but do we need to write? I am an interested party (apparently!)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I have a memory from way back that the South Downs National Park people removed the Falmer site from their plans ages ago, 2 or 3 years ago. If that is so, then we have nothing to worry about from this lot.

the nighmare scenario would be if the Government chose to pospone the decision to allow for further consultation as to teh boundries of the National Park.

What baffles me is why the hell we dont just move the stadium twenty yards away from the road, so we wont have to have the coach turn around bit and coach stop in LDC's land. Surely that would have negated all this crap in the first place.
1. The consultation on the boundaries at Falmer took place YEARS ago and were fully debated at the National Park Inquiry at Worthing. There is nothing more to consult about. Everyone has had their say. This consultation isn't about Falmer - it's about Petersfield - Pulborough.

2. The NIMBY objections to the stadium would have been put forward regardless of where the coach park was located. A good part of their case was that the stadium will be visible from the National Park. They object to the Newhaven incinerator because it is visible from the National Park, even though it's not in the AONB and won't be in the National Park.

I have a memory from way back that the South Downs National Park people removed the Falmer site from their plans ages ago, 2 or 3 years ago. If that is so, then we have nothing to worry about from this lot.

They did. It is only Lewes District Council and Falmer Parish Council who have tried to put the stadium site back in.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
They did. It is only Lewes District Council and Falmer Parish Council who have tried to put the stadium site back in.

So... do we still need to write in support of it's exclusion from the Nat Park? Given the to$$ers at LDC/FPC are still looking for inclusion?

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
he South Downs National Park is a proposed National Park in the South Downs region of England, stretching for 90 miles, from Winchester in Hampshire in the west to Beachy Head, near Eastbourne in East Sussex in the east. The southern boundary of the proposed park lies a few miles inland along most of its length, excluding the coastal towns and cities of Southampton, Portsmouth, Chichester, Bognor Regis, Littlehampton, Worthing and Brighton, but it would include the towns of Petersfield, Liss, Midhurst, Arundel and Lewes. It would include two Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB): East Hampshire and the Sussex Downs. Unlike any other National Park, it would include an area of chalk downland.[1] Approximately 39 million people visit the area each year.[2]

I read this as bad news for Falmer :(

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
he South Downs National Park is a proposed National Park in the South Downs region of England, stretching for 90 miles, from Winchester in Hampshire in the west to Beachy Head, near Eastbourne in East Sussex in the east. The southern boundary of the proposed park lies a few miles inland along most of its length, excluding the coastal towns and cities of Southampton, Portsmouth, Chichester, Bognor Regis, Littlehampton, Worthing and Brighton, but it would include the towns of Petersfield, Liss, Midhurst, Arundel and Lewes. It would include two Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB): East Hampshire and the Sussex Downs. Unlike any other National Park, it would include an area of chalk downland.[1] Approximately 39 million people visit the area each year.[2]

I read this as bad news for Falmer :(

I do too...

LB - please help! I very much trust your judgement on these kind of things... thank you in advance...

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
well thats as clear as mud then, according to this half he Stadium will be in the boundary and half wont

student-context-map-(colour.jpg

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The Argus said:
The judge concluded that land shaped by man could not be included and removed the estate from the protected area.

Is the decision not flawed? Considering alot of the South Downs used to be covered in trees - It has all been shaped by man!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Someone who knows exactly where the Stadium will be please tell us if it falls with in the Orange area on this map

http://www.countryside.gov.uk/Images/Map 32_tcm2-26629.pdf

because I don't think it does (assuming its the square under Village Way !!)

The stadium will be in the bit above Village (don't forget some of the Uni buildings are going to be demolished for it) The square above Way is the land that belongs to the CofE.

It falls in the bit above Village Way (the coach park looks like it may fall into the SDW country park though).

Correct.

The Stadium is NOT in the National Park as shown on the Countryside Agency's map of the draft boundary. But the Bus Stops are.

But remember ... that is only a DRAFT boundary. It hasn't yet been confirmed - and the final version of the boundary won't be confirmed for some considerable time. The whole issue of was the subject of long debate at the National Park Inquiry.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Correct.

The Stadium is NOT in the National Park as shown on the Countryside Agency's map of the draft boundary. But the Bus Stops are.

But remember ... that is only a DRAFT boundary. It hasn't yet been confirmed - and the final version of the boundary won't be confirmed for some considerable time. The whole issue of was the subject of long debate at the National Park Inquiry.

So, sorry for the repetition, but do we need to write in support of the exclusion of all the Falmer stadium development from the Nat Park?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here