Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South Downs National Park. Government announcement July 2nd

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
According to the Argus (below) July 2nd is when Defra say what they are going to do about a South Downs National Park. The boundary of the park hopefully will exclude the stadium site at Falmer. I trust 2 government departments have been talking to each other!

National park back on the cards

The creation of a South Downs national park has moved a step closer this week after two years of delays.

The Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs has revealed it is to reopen the file after a lengthy legal battle involving the New Forest National Park came to end.

The new protected zone will cover swathes of Sussex and Hampshire and the inital plans could be extending by a further 25 sq km in Arun, Adur, Chichester, Horsham, Lewes, Mid Sussex, Wealden, Eastbourne and Worthing.

Proposals to redraw the northern boundary between Petersfield, Hampshire, and Pulborough are also being considered.

On July 2, Defra will release the conclusion from the public inquiry, which finished in 2004, and a report into new laws governing national parks.

Comments on changes to the boundaries and the impact of the legal challenge will then be gathered and the Secretary of State, David Miliband, will decide whether to open another public inquiry or press on with the plans.

The report has been held until now as a landowner in Hampshire challenged the boundary of the New Forest National Park.

The judge concluded that land shaped by man could not be included and removed the estate from the protected area.

But Defra appealed against the ruling and the High Court's decision not to overturn the judgment came only in February 2007.

Concerns the Meyrick ruling could lead to swathes of the South Downs National Park being cut out were appeased after the Government used the Natural England and Rural Communities Bill to clarify that natural beauty can apply to land shaped by man.

Chris Todd, of the South Downs Campaign, said Defra's decision to consult on changes to boundaries indicated that the inspector had found in favour of a national park in principal.

He said: "We are pleased things are back on track and it is clear the inspector must have recommended in favour of a South Downs National Park and that extra areas should be included.

"There is a suggestion that large chunk of the Lower Weald should be excluded and we are worried that the land could be left completely unprotected.

"It is good the Secretary of State has offered us an opportunity to consult because if he decides not to include land he doesn't have to come back to the public before making the decision.

"We need the national park because it will create a permanent, independent body which is better funded and has more powers to protect the South Downs for future generation."

A spokesman for the South Downs Joint Committee, which currently run the area, said: "After a long delay we welcome progress on resolving the future designation of the South Downs"

12:56pm Monday 25th June 2007

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It's all getting so close now. Like you, I hope the depts. have been liaising.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I hope they say no to this one.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I have a bad feeling about this!

If they manage to cock this one up by including just one square millimeter of the Falmer land in any proposed national park I will give up the will to live.

Someone with inside knowledge please tell me that the timing of the Southdowns park and Falmer stadium are not going to throw the biggest spanner of all time into the works.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
This must be too good to be coincidence. The National Park had been on the backburner for months and suddenly, 2nd July an announcement......with the proposed 'Falmer' stadium site outside it.

Just a few days later....the go ahead for the new stadium.
The main objection that it is in an AONB now meaningless.

There is a God or at least an effective civil service department. PLEASE.

Mind you any other combination of the above outcomes and we are STUFFED.

But that won't happen.

:albion2:

Last edited:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
This must be too good to be coincidence. The National Park had been on the backburner for months and suddenly, 2nd July an announcement......with the proposed 'Falmer' stadium site outside it.

There is a God or at least an effective civil service department. PLEASE.

Mind you any other combination of the above outcomes and we are STUFFED.

But that won't happen.

I hope you're right.

It does seem a real coincedence that the Falmer announcement and the National Park confirmation are happening so close together.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf

That's what I'm hoping too.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Doh, my brain hurts,

What does this all mean?

Yours confused from Burgess Hill

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I'll put my money on this being a coincidence. The government right hand often doesn't know what the left one is doing and I find it hard to believe that there have been conversations about Falmer and the National Park so that announcements about both could coincide.

Of course, I could be wrong and there has been perfect co-ordination but that would make it a rarity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here