Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South Downs National Park Designation Delayed for Years

The Government have just written to people who made representations to the South Downs National Park Public Inquiry, advising them that "there will be a delay in reaching the decision", because of "uncertainties over the interpretation of the relevant legislation".

This all flows from a High Court Judgement relating to the New Forest National Park that potentially changes the way in which the criteria for National Park status have been generally understood since the 1950s.

The Secretary of State is considering appealing against the Court's decision and possibly introducing new legislation in parliament. That can take years to come into effect.

The outcome - as I see it - is that any decision on the South Downs National Park boundary will be totally irrelevant to the status of land at Falmer, since the planning issue will have been completely settled and the stadium will be built before the boundary is decided.

From the Defra website:-

Designation Order for a South Downs National Park and Public Inquiry

A Designation Order for a South Downs National Park was submitted by the Countryside Agency to the Secretary of State on 27 January 2003 and placed on public deposit until 28 February 2003 for receipt of objections and representations to the Order. Around 6,000 responses were received.

A public inquiry into the Order ran from 10 November 2003 to 23 March 2005. Details of the Inquiry can be found on the Planning Inspectorate's website.

Defra received part of the Inspector’s report in June 2005 on the principle of creating a South Downs National Park and had expected the rest of the report on the boundary and administrative arrangements in March 2006. However, a recent High Court judgement on the New Forest National Park designation appears to have implications for the South Downs.

Defra is seeking leave to appeal against that judgement and may need to put the South Downs process on hold until that appeal has been heard. No decision has yet been made on the "principle" of a South Downs National Park.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I guess this news helps us?

No national park boundry set = no basis to reject stadium due to its proximity to the national park?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
So, one less string to LDC's bow, they are sinking fast ......

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Excellent news. It takes the 'National Park' factor completely out of the equation. Surely no planning decision can be held off indefinately on the basis of potential NP boundaries and where they *might* be placed in the (now) very distant future. As Wanderer says, it's removed one of LDC's key arguments against the scheme.

Last edited:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Sounds to me like it's not just a delay to deciding the boundry of the South Downs National Park, but a delay to whether there will be a park at all. This can only be good news for the Albions cause, as any arguement about the stadium and coach park being within the national park is no longer valid.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Surely this means the AONB argument gets tossed out of the window as the boundary of the national park will not be defined until well after the stadium is built. The CPRE will be livid with the turn of events as their argument of wanton destruction of the countryside is blown out of the water. They can hardly say it has repercussions for the rest of the UK on a national park that probably wont come into being for another 20 years or so. This is also another nail in the coffin for LDC as some of their legal argument is based on decisions made ignoring the imminent announcement of the South Downs national park to progess regeneration in a deprived social community.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I would like to think that it would be seen as the ideal opportunity to allow this development then block all later planning applications on the basis that ours has already been approved.

Even the Nimbys could be made to see that allowing our application to stand and be built could draw a line on the issue of development within the proposed boundary in much the same way as the development of the Bypass has allowed planners etc to deny development outside this boundary.

They could cite our case as having wide ranging benefits but that all subsequent clamour for planning is likeley to stretch only as far as housing or commercial uses which can be done without.

Probably far too optimistic though.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Of course it means that the AONB will remain as such for longer.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I'm sliding back into negativity again.

Suppose this: LDC and then Falmer residents delay a go-ahead by going to the High court and then the European court long enough to see Prescott out of office.When he goes, it will be probably be under a cloud (a cloud that is already there) and they will be able to claim that his dept was a disorganised mess and that he didn't know what he was doing etc etc.
I'm not going into detail but i think seeing out his term would be massivley beneficial to opponents of the stadium.

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Brixtaan said:
I'm sliding back into negativity again.

Suppose this: LDC and then Falmer residents delay a go-ahead by going to the High court and then the European court long enough to see Prescott out of office.When he goes, it will be probably be under a cloud (a cloud that is already there) and they will be able to claim that his dept was a disorganised mess and that he didn't know what he was doing etc etc.
I'm not going into detail but i think seeing out his term would be massivley beneficial to opponents of the stadium.

That has occured to me as well ! I reassure myself on the basis should Prescott dissapear under a cloud in the next few months an incoming Labour DPM would be very unlikely to go against one of JP's decisions even if the JR went against us and was referred back to ODPM.

The only problem would be if the Government was kciked out by some as yet unseen crisis and a Tory DPM may well look at it from the NIMBY point of view.

The next election is 3 years away so Falmer will be up and running by then.
:) :)

sleepynick

Sep 1, 2004
Saigon, Vietnam
Although this is good news re: falmer, it is still a shame in general that the South Downs has no National Park designation. After all it is still the only area sited in the 50s that hasn't been given a designation.

I look forward to the day when falmer is finally built AND the south downs have their National Park, both of which to be enjoyed by future generations.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Hadlee said:
The only problem would be if the Government was kciked out by some as yet unseen crisis and a Tory DPM may well look at it from the NIMBY point of view

That would have to be something pretty incredible for force labour about before 2009 - infact, im not sure it's even possible, is it? You can lose confidence in a PM, but not a whole political party

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here