Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South Coast Derby? Or not?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
April 1978. Albion beat Blackpool. Saints and Spurs fabricate a draw for joint promotion to top flight football.

Agreed.

I also believe the title of South Coast Derby? Or not? is incorrect. Surely it should read South Coast Rivalry? Or not? because love it or hate it, it will always be a South Coast derby, they are derby games.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Brilliant article.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Lots of Albion fans are going and I have not got a ticket. Trepidation though. Mainly because we cannot get out best team out.

Jul 20, 2003
Hello there, Saints fan in peace.

You might remember me last season I did a nice piece about Sussex success...

Anyway, I have had a little look at the non-rivalry that got heated last season....

http://wp.me/p1mFFL-dW

Let me know what you think, and here is to a good game on Saturday!

good work

Last edited:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
adkinsbanner.jpg

Love that picture. Great article too although I disagree with your thoughts on Poyet and the way Brighton play.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well written piece. Fair and balanced.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
There is one major difference between the two ' derbies. Saints v Pompey is a true derby, historically going back a long time. Two cities relatively close together, who hate each other with a passion.
BHA V Palace is a psuedo, bandwagon affair, trumped up in the seventies by young Brighton fans starved of any real rivalry and desperate to launch their violence on somebody. Palace are a London club and we are on the south coast. The rivalry is frankly laughable. We stole Palace's rivalry from Millwall and forced them to turn their attentions to West Ham. They didn't want to. West Ham are north of the river and London rivalries don't normally ' cross the water '
Just as Mullery and Venables were responsible for the start of it all in the mid 70's, so Poyet and Adkins have fanned different the flames more recently.
It won't make a blind bit of difference to the Saints/Pompey thing. That is too deep rooted. All it does is add a bit of spice to a ' local ' game for both teams.
Most Saints fans I know are pretty relaxed about the whole affair. They don't feel any antagonism towards us. They have rivalries closer to home. Don't forget, as well as Pompey, Bournemouth hatew them with a passion as well.
N

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here