Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South American Team Success?

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Each of Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay and Argentina played no less than 18 qualifying matches, compared with 10 for England and 6 in many other cases.

They all qualified from the same group.

I know europe probably has a greater representation in the finals - fair enough...but surely, playing nearly twice more than us to qualify and three times as many others has to count and, in a way, gives them an unfair advantage having played together that much more?

Maybe a South America group subdivide would even things out.

Just a thought. Forget friendies - largely a waste of time imo.

Stevegull

Sep 9, 2005
Lewes
How come their players aren't tired like ours then? ??? All that travel for the euorpean based players must be like 18 long distance away trips.

All south american players seem to love playing for thier country.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Clutching at straws. They are doing better than us, because they ARE better than us.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Clutching at straws. They are doing better than us, because they ARE better than us.

Is of course the RIGHT answer.

I also said at the start of this tournament that a South American team would win it, failing that Spain (due to being used to the heat).

Now watch a Dutch V Germany final. :)

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
SteveGull

I think they may be tired (like us), but the advantage of playing
together gives them the edge.

Plus -
I also agree with you about them loving playing for their
country which is a factor as well.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
How come their players aren't tired like ours then? ??? All that travel for the euorpean based players must be like 18 long distance away trips.

All south american players seem to love playing for thier country.
That's it I reckon, with the sole exception of Robinho, they all seem to leave their ego's in the dressing room and play for the love of it - I think there's something in that for all of us......
Chile would have gone further if they'd not drawn Brazil and Ecuador didn't even qualify yet would have coasted the group phase.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
It was mentioned yesterday on 5 live that they indeed do love playing for their country and also now with most being based in europe can compete physically as well as tactically.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
But Argentina tried so many different players that this stat won't really work for them.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Bollocks to all this to tired shite all the time:angry:these are trained athletes who should cope easily with playing 2 games a week but don't often do that:angry:

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
South American teams are willing to leave big name players at home e.g. Ronaldinho, Adriano, etc. They're always willing to experiment, promote competition and give other players an opportunity. Unlike England who will always play their "world class" players like Rooney, Gerrad, Terry and Lampard no matter how out of form they are.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
South American teams are willing to leave big name players at home e.g. Ronaldinho, Adriano, etc. They're always willing to experiment, promote competition and give other players an opportunity. Unlike England who will always play their "world class" players like Rooney, Gerrad, Terry and Lampard no matter how out of form they are.

This.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton

I'd agree with this. Especially this time what with the two players you mentioned and Argentina leaving out Cambiasso.

It seems to me that there is too much pressure on winning that by the time the major tournaments come around, we haven't changed.

Look at the criticism England got after BEATING Mexico and Japan. There is so much pressure on even winning friendlies that is seems Capello was unwilling to try out new players and formations prior to the world cup

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
there is an interesting point here though, not the number of games, but the quality. They all play the decent teams, while in Europe qualification you have to play one potentially top team, one mediocre you need to be wary of, and a load of crap for the rest.

I wonder how much better both England and Euro qualification would be if the groups were larger or we simply dropped the Faroe, San Marino and Scotlands of the Euro rounds.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Is of course the RIGHT answer.

I also said at the start of this tournament that a South American team would win it, failing that Spain (due to being used to the heat).

Now watch a Dutch V Germany final. :)

I assume you mean the heat of competition,as it's a winter world cup,as many pundits have said constantly.

Mr Apples

Jack Scrumpy
Aug 9, 2007
In The Orchard
They used to be subdivided into two or sometimes three groups, but decided that they would prefer to all be in one big group.

Most of the matches are double headers so the European based players will generally play two matches per visit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here