Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Souness Sacked

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Rangdo said:
Who over-rates him though? Everyone knows he's shit but he still keeps getting jobs.

Well exactly, i mean he was on the verge of the sack from blackburn and then suddenly newcastle want him?! Fair play they missed out on bruce but they must have been desperate....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I hope they appoint Shearer on a permanent basis. He has basically RAN the show for about 3 years allegedly.

He'd be utter shit to boot. Bring it on! :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If Michael Owen hadn't picked up that injury, then Souness would still be in a job there.

FACT.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Roeder to take over!!!!!!:ohmy: :ohmy:

That's ten straight 5-0 defeats fop you then. Nw it makes sense. If Roeder was technical director no wonder they played so badly!!!

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I can't help feel a little sorry for him. He's never once been able to pick his first choice because of horrendous injury problems. That said, he hasn't brought that well... Boumsong, Luque..
but all in all, he's been a bit unlucky. The real blame lies with the board who now must get the next man right.

Sneaky George said:
I can't help feel a little sorry for him. He's never once been able to pick his first choice because of horrendous injury problems. That said, he hasn't brought that well... Boumsong, Luque..
but all in all, he's been a bit unlucky. The real blame lies with the board who now must get the next man right.

He took over a huge and talented squad. He spent something like £50m on transfers, with wages no issue and yet they are sliding into a relegation battle and playing like poo. How is that unlucky? The guy is a shit manager out of his depth and will get a huge payout on top of the astronomical wages they have been paying him up until now.The guy is one of the luckiest men in football in my book.

North East Seagull

Jul 6, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The Newcastle fans I work with are delighted he has gone. Glenn Roeder was heading up the Academy and was always going to take over on a short-term basis. Rumour is that NUFC will do between £3 and £5 million to get rid of Souness and his coaching team. This is on top of something like £50 million he has had to spend on players.

I recently read an article, by a Newcastle supporter, that labelled the club "unmanagable"! Seems reasonable1

Dandyman

In London village.
Just in case the links do not open...

Newcastle dismiss manager Souness

Souness took charge of Newcastle in September 2004
Newcastle boss Graeme Souness has been sacked, with Glenn Roeder installed as caretaker manager and Alan Shearer given the role of his assistant. The Magpies have won only one point in six Premiership matches and are only six points above the relegation zone.

A statement on the club's website read: "The employment of Graeme Souness has been terminated with immediate effect."

Souness, 52, took charge of Newcastle in September 2004 after Sir Bobby Robson was sacked.

His 16-month tenure at St James' Park was a rollercoaster ride.
With only 36 victories in his 83 matches, the pressure was almost always on Souness - and the 3-0 defeat by Manchester City on Wednesday proved the final straw.

Magpies fans protested at the match by displaying a 'Souness Out' banner during their side's woeful display at Eastlands.

But Souness vowed to stay on, saying: "I am not a quitter and will not quit."

For much of his reign, Souness was hampered by injuries to key players - but he also spent over £47m on players.

The biggest arrival was that of England striker Michael Owen. However, he also became another player on the club's treatment table.

It will now - at least in the immediate future - be up to former West Ham boss Roeder to try and revive the struggling Tyneside giants.

He will be helped by Magpies' skipper Shearer, who is playing his last season before retiring.

Former England striker Shearer has made no secret of his desire to one day take over as Newcastle boss.

Also in the frame is Bolton manager Sam Allardyce, who turned down the job before it was offered to Souness but has continued to be linked with the post.

A spokesman for Bolton said: "We've got no comment to make. Sam has got a job to do here and is under contract."

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Lokki 7 said:
He took over a huge and talented squad. He spent something like £50m on transfers, with wages no issue and yet they are sliding into a relegation battle and playing like poo. How is that unlucky? The guy is a shit manager out of his depth and will get a huge payout on top of the astronomical wages they have been paying him up until now.The guy is one of the luckiest men in football in my book.
The squad he took over was at war with each other; the dressing room was in open revolt with players like Kieron Dyer refusing to play where selected. God knows how many players were involved in drunken city incidents. Yes, he's bought inconsistently but Owen, Emre and Parker are very good players and if he'd had a full squad to choose from they'd be doing well. One day someone will get it right there but I doubt anyone could have done a much better job with so many injuries.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
i bet o'neill if appointed would get them top 8 this season still....

Im hoping he gets the england job though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Why would Big Sam go to a club about 10 places below where is now?

As I said in another thread, I think that Souness has been a bit hard done by. I don't think he's a great manager but he's not as bad as people make him out - he's had terrible luck with injuries and has to contend with the board buying players like Luque without his say-so.

There's a real problem at Newcastle: in a short period they've dumped Dalglish, Gullit, Robson and now Souness. You can't say that Dalglish and Robson aren't good managers and Gullit's not the worst. The talk is that Shearer's been an influence behind the scenes for years, it will be a chance for him to be more upfront about it.

Lokki 7 said:

TOTALL AGREE, ITS TOTAL BOLLOX FOR HIM TO COMPALIN ABOUT NOT HAVING A SQUAD, MOST PREM SIDES ACHIEVE THAT ON HALF OF HIS BUDGET, BOLTON ETC ON EVEN LESS.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He was always the wrong man for the job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here