Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Sounds of the 70’s with Johnnie Walker

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thoughts to JW and his loved ones.

A gently spoken legend, with a huge passion for music. One of the R1 DJ’s I listened to on my Dad’s radio, with Rosko and Henry. Listening figures were huge, they were icons.

I think of JW as focusing on West Coast American and especially The Eagles. His departure to the US coincided with the arrival of punk here.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Oh no. Hope it's finite in years. Haven't listened to BBC Sounds or looked for details. Fond memories of his daily lunchtime show in my final summer hols before I started work and then I used to pop out to the car to listen after I got my first job (well only job for 45 years!). Good memories and his autobiography is a good read for people of a certain age. My age.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He fought cancer some years ago I think. He’s a bit of a legend. A genuine pirate - then the lunchtime Radio 1 show with the charts. I still have somewhere, on cassette, my recording of his final show in that series. And these days I listen to Sounds of the 70s every week on catch up. Keep fighting Johnny
Correct

“The DJ has been cared for by his wife almost since they were married in 2003. Walker was diagnosed with cancer just a few months after their honeymoon and then she was diagnosed with breast cancer ten years later.”

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
He used to play Percy Sledge's 'Warm and tender love' at the same time every night when he was on Radio Caroline, and I am sure he played more soul back then. I think going to America bent his brain and he sold out, trying to be cool.
at 10:30pm I believe, with listeners lined up along the beach shining their headlights at the ship - simpler times.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
IPF is a shit disease a one way ticket but no one knows how long these things will take, good luck man.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Not good news…headline of a DT article

BBC Radio 2 DJ Johnnie Walker told to ‘prepare to die at any moment’​

Presenter, 79, who has idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, says he’s ‘only got a finite amount of time’ as he pays tribute to wife Tiggy

…..more here

The couple spoke on a special BBC Sounds exclusive show, Walker and Walker: Johnnie and Tiggy, which aired to mark Carers Week.
I read this article yesterday - desperately sad news.

I've listed to him for years, and Sounds of the Seventies is my favourite two hours of radio.

Thoughts with him and his family.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here