Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Soul Music

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Your favourite?

Otis Redding - Respect is my choice today.

Is Northern Soul the same kind of music? Bit after my time I have to say :(

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Wilson Pickett was my fave as a kid.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Tom Hark said:
Everly Brothers. Or Curtis Mayfield.

Superfly, great song. Can you run an Everly Brothers soul song past me??:ohmy:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This man IS soul.

otisRedding280.jpg

otisredding.jpg

orpic.jpg

o_redding-webpic.jpg

Accept no other.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Tom Hark said:
Aaaaaaaaarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blush:

Yes. Yes I did :down:

Obviously a senior moment :lolol:

I'm suprised you didn't go for Gladys KNIGHT

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Icy Gull said:
Your favourite?

Otis Redding - Respect is my choice today.

Is Northern Soul the same kind of music? Bit after my time I have to say :(

No, nothing like Stax or Motown. As a matter of fact a lot of 'Northern Soul' artists were white. The Rolling Stones 'under my Thumb' is a Northern Soul classic and another was Wigan's Ovation's 'Skying in the Snow'. I kid you not. Possibly the most bizarre aspect of Northern Soul was the fact that the 'all nighters' (long before raves) were usually alcohol free but many if not most of the participants took a lot of speed. Another oddity was that to dance to if the steps involves sliding around the floor so the dancers yused to chuck large amounts of talcum power over the floor. Quite astonished me when I first saw it in 1973 in Cornwall.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Re: Re: Soul Music

bhaexpress said:
No, nothing like Stax or Motown. As a matter of fact a lot of 'Northern Soul' artists were white. The Rolling Stones 'under my Thumb' is a Northern Soul classic and another was Wigan's Ovation's 'Skying in the Snow'. I kid you not. Possibly the most bizarre aspect of Northern Soul was the fact that the 'all nighters' (long before raves) were usually alcohol free but many if not most of the participants took a lot of speed. Another oddity was that to dance to if the steps involves sliding around the floor so the dancers yused to chuck large amounts of talcum power over the floor. Quite astonished me when I first saw it in 1973 in Cornwall.
Wot? You have highlighted one tiny aspect of the Northern Soul scene which was actually an exploitative cash-in on the genre.

Northern Soul comes from the same backgrounds as Motown (much of which is what it sounds like - including the classic 'Do I Love You by Frank Wilson), Stax, Chess and a whole host of small independent labels from New York, Philadelphia, Chicago and Detroit. So, for the sake of the layman, Northern Soul is very much - in most instances - like Motown, although the a many various styles.

I will agree on one thing though - dancing to it does leave people watching with fascination. I love dancing in the style you're talking about - though without the handstands and flips any more.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Re: Re: Re: Soul Music

The Large One said:
Wot? You have highlighted one tiny aspect of the Northern Soul scene which was actually an exploitative cash-in on the genre.

Northern Soul comes from the same backgrounds as Motown (much of which is what it sounds like - including the classic 'Do I Love You by Frank Wilson), Stax, Chess and a whole host of small independent labels from New York, Philadelphia, Chicago and Detroit. So, for the sake of the layman, Northern Soul is very much - in most instances - like Motown, although the a many various styles.

Spot on TLO. The oddest thing for me is that the afficionados split Northern into what they call 'Northern' and 'Modern' which - confusingly - means anything recorded after 1970.

I like Northern, Modern, Philly, Motown, Southern, Disco and even Jazz Funk; even some REALLY modern stuff from 2000 onwards.

But my all time favourites are Bobby Womack (who I actually saw live in Manchester the day after our Play off final victory) and Curtis Mayfield.

There's actually a really good soul fanzine produced in Brighton called 'In The Basement'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here