Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SOUL II - North Stand, Dec 21

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Jesus.

No-one is sticking a gun to anyone's head to turn up. We've chosen to move it to Dick's Bar to make sure we did... something; the alternative choice being not to do it at all.

I'm tempted to suggest to Dan we don't do this now. We've got another do to DJ later in the evening.

So you know why the decision was made? No, didn't think so. So your post doesn't really mean anything.

I'm not sure why I need to know why the decision was made to have an opinion. It's common sense to have Christmassy music at a party four days before Christmas. It'll be like turning up to a wedding disco with no Wacko Jacko, Abba or Grease Megamix...it's not what the majority are after!

For what it's worth I don't think you could really win when it comes to a venue. The North Stand concourse will be f*cking freezing and no place for a party at this time of year. Dicks has some good points and some bad ones, it's not really a music venue, but where else is there? It's a football stadium, not a nightclub.

Good luck with it, I just hope the DJs see past their short sighted decision to play their own taste in music rather than something a little more mainstream or festive.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Jesus.

No-one is sticking a gun to anyone's head to turn up. We've chosen to move it to Dick's Bar to make sure we did... something; the alternative choice being not to do it at all.

I'm tempted to suggest to Dan we don't do this now. We've got another do to DJ later in the evening.

I am not knocking you but why are you not surprised by some peoples reaction to the venue change?
Read the posts up to #11, every one is happy, not many happy afterwards.
:rolleyes:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm not sure why I need to know why the decision was made to have an opinion.

Fine. But that opinion doesn't carry much weight if you say the decision is ludicrous and you don't know why.

It's common sense to have Christmassy music at a party four days before Christmas. It'll be like turning up to a wedding disco with no Wacko Jacko, Abba or Grease Megamix...it's not what the majority are after!

We're not appealing to the majority. We're appealing to the people who like the music being played. If you don't like it, don't come. No-one's forcing you.

It's not a Christmas party. It's a soul, funk and disco night that happens to be on near Christmas.

Good luck with it, I just hope the DJs see past their short sighted decision to play their own taste in music rather than something a little more mainstream or festive.

There must be dozens of 'mainstream' or 'festive' parties going on across the city that night that you could go to, including some in the West Stand. So what's the issue?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I am not knocking you but why are you not surprised by some peoples reaction to the venue change?
Read the posts up to #11, every one is happy, not many happy afterwards.
:rolleyes:

I'm reluctant to explain the actual reason for the venue change, because I don't wish to criticise anybody in particular, but while I expected disappointment in moving it to Dick's Bar, I am surprised at the insinuation that we've done this just to piss people off.

We're doing our best to disguise Dick's Bar from being Dick's Bar (normal lighting off, disco lights on), but short of doing nothing and cancelling it entirely (it seems from some people's reactions that not doing it at all is preferable to doing it in Dick's Bar), there's not really anywhere else to go.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Fine. But that opinion doesn't carry much weight if you say the decision is ludicrous and you don't know why.

We're not appealing to the majority. We're appealing to the people who like the music being played. If you don't like it, don't come. No-one's forcing you.

It's not a Christmas party. It's a soul, funk and disco night that happens to be on near Christmas.

There must be dozens of 'mainstream' or 'festive' parties going on across the city that night that you could go to, including some in the West Stand. So what's the issue?

I won't be going, fear not.

In my opinion, as you're already dealing with the negative situation (which I accept isn't your own doing) of having disappointed people who were looking forward to a gig in the North Stand, you'd be best off ensuring you put on an event in Dick's that is still going to appeal to the masses. Otherwise, you'll be doing a Soul Gig to mainly Dick's regulars that aren't really that into the music. There's 11 months of the year that would be better suited to a Soul, Disco and Funk night, even if there aren't any alternative venues.

Of course, going by your logic, as I'm not one of the event organisers my opinion carries no weight and so can be disregarded, even if it is shared by a majority...

Good luck with it!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Jesus.

So you know why the decision was made? No, didn't think so. So your post doesn't really mean anything.

Calm down, Spielberg.

The reason it would be better in the North Stand is simple- it would be a party / disco in a football stadium after a match. How many times has anyone seen that before? In Dick's it will be a party / disco in a cafe with huge bar queues. Not something myself, or at a guess 50% of other potential attendees will be up for.

Clearly this isn't your fault, and nobody is suggesting it is, but it is a shame all the same. And TCB does have a point; the odd Christmas tune thrown in wouldn't be a bad thing, seeing as it is 4 days before Christmas.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Calm down, Spielberg.

The reason it would be better in the North Stand is simple- it would be a party / disco in a football stadium after a match. How many times has anyone seen that before? In Dick's it will be a party / disco in a cafe with huge bar queues. Not something myself, or at a guess 50% of other potential attendees will be up for.

Clearly this isn't your fault, and nobody is suggesting it is, but it is a shame all the same. And TCB does have a point; the odd Christmas tune thrown in wouldn't be a bad thing, seeing as it is 4 days before Christmas.

We know that the North Stand would be better, even if it is freezing in December. Do you think we're not pissed off with having to move?

We asked for the WSL first. The club said 'no'. Then the East Stand - same answer. The reason given was the same for both - and one I found quite insulting. (We asked for WSL and ESL because they're bigger, though WSL has lower ceilings). Then the North Stand. At first they said yes, and we started sorting it then, because of issues beyond our control, we were given a choice. The North Stand wasn't a goer - so it was Dick's or nothing. It would appear some would prefer 'nothing'.

I'm not sure that, given the reason we moved, we could ever DJ on the concourses again, unless something changes.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Probably have to give it a miss now then, I like to catch up with people for a drink in WSL after the game, people that won't be coming to Dicks as they only stay for 30/45 mins in the WSL afterwards to let the transport queues go down... By the time I've joined them for that period of time the chances of getting in to Dicks will no doubt be zilch so will probably shoot straight into town to continue the Christmas festivities and spend my money there now instead, shame, because I was really looking forward to it, poor form by the club.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What a shame. The whole informality of the North Stand last time made it a great success.

Clearly not TLO's fault, but a disappointment nonetheless, as just being able to drop in and hang out would have been brilliant after the game. I like others will have my kids with me, so won't be able to make Dick's Bar. Hope it goes well in there though for everyone that can get in.

Perhaps the club have a very good reason for this, but not allowing fans to put on a post match event that will sell them many beverages after the game, costing them nothing to put on, seems very shortsighted.

p.s. anyone who doesn't like soul, funk and disco can funk off! :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can I just say that if finances were a factor in the move, then NSC may be able to help should there be a desire to get it back onto a concourse at some point in the future.

No promises, but I'm happy to talk and see what can be done - the last one was great and I'd like it to be able to happen again if it can.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Al and I decided to host and organise this gig - we're not getting paid - to give people an alternative to the stuff that costs money at the stadium i.e. the Christmas meal offers etc.

Dick's is the only venue option, unfortunately.

Some of the comments in this thread are harsh, and very self-centred. Abba at a wedding, Christmas songs before Christmas... cliches, cliches, cliches.

Do people really want to hear the same bland, insipid Christmas cack that gets played to death, every, single year? I don't, which is why I'm doing this gig.

Christmas is about being together, seeing friends and family, and having fun. It's not about, in my humble opinion, listening to atrocious manufactured music with absolutely zero soul. And please don't trot out the 'it's a bit if fun' claptrap. It's fun if you have no ears.

If there's a gig I don't like the look of, I simply do not attend. I don't sit behind my keyboard slagging it off or moaning about it.

It is impossible to keep everyone happy, all of the time.

It's a soul do, with a bit of disco. There are plenty of people who like this kind of music and they are more than welcome. It'll be a great do.

PS: Bozza, that could be something to talk about, defo. I'll explain all when I see you next mate.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Al and I decided to host and organise this gig - we're not getting paid - to give people an alternative to the stuff that costs money at the stadium i.e. the Christmas meal offers etc.

Dick's is the only venue option, unfortunately.

Some of the comments in this thread are harsh, and very self-centred. Abba at a wedding, Christmas songs before Christmas... cliches, cliches, cliches.

Do people really want to hear the same bland, insipid Christmas cack that gets played to death, every, single year? I don't, which is why I'm doing this gig.

Christmas is about being together, seeing friends and family, and having fun. It's not about, in my humble opinion, listening to atrocious manufactured music with absolutely zero soul. And please don't trot out the 'it's a bit if fun' claptrap. It's fun if you have no ears.

If there's a gig I don't like the look of, I simply do not attend. I don't sit behind my keyboard slagging it off or moaning about it.

It is impossible to keep everyone happy, all of the time.

It's a soul do, with a bit of disco. There are plenty of people who like this kind of music and they are more than welcome. It'll be a great do.

PS: Bozza, that could be something to talk about, defo. I'll explain all when I see you next mate.

I've not read all the posts, especially questioning the music choice, but I think you'll both appreciate the great swell of disappointment being that actually a huge number of people would have loved this to have been in the North Stand, with exactly the music you want to play, but won't be able to make it in Dick's Bar.

This is actually a compliment to you guys, and perhaps that isn't coming across so well, because this was something to really look forward to, which is now going to only benefit a few hundred that can get into DB.

Such a shame you've come up against these issues with having it on the concourse.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013

I'm not sure many people have slagged it off or moaned about it? They've just either stated that the change of venue means they won't be attending (and nobody is blaming you for that - it's pretty clear the reasons lie elsewhere) or that the lack of Christmas music is not what they are looking for four days before the 25th of December and so will be going elsewhere.

Presumably, you want as many people to turn up as possible to make it worthwhile to both you and the club so I'd take that as feedback rather than going on the defensive about it as you and TLO both seem to have done.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
I know what I read Black Rod!

Just get a bit cheesed off with the negativity to be honest mate.

Anyway, I don't want to get involved in a massive binfest, it's Chrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssssssstttttttttttmaaasssssssssssssssss after all!

It will be a bit cold in the North concourse and I have to say, Dick's is much cosier after the refit.

We'll have proper lights, and it will feel festive. It'll be fun.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Can I just say that if finances were a factor in the move, then NSC may be able to help should there be a desire to get it back onto a concourse at some point in the future.

No promises, but I'm happy to talk and see what can be done - the last one was great and I'd like it to be able to happen again if it can.

That's a very kind and generous offer, and very much appreciated. The sad thing being that you shouldn't have to be doing it. It's the club and the caterers who will be financially benefiting from this...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here