Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sorry we can't serve more than 5

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
its not a "rule", its just the pubs policy. it might mean somthing at a club in the evening but pathetic for a pub early evening. a few pubs round there are right up there arses, why even have door staff? go deeper into the Laine and find a better pub.

Sorry should not have said rule but youll find that if your in a group of more than 5 you will find it hard to get in. The usual one is your wearing trainers so you cant come in the rest of you are alright knowing there not going to leave there mate.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Can't think why so many pubs are closing down but simple enough solution take your custom somewhere else

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Happened to my group in the summer, 6 of us all over 50, brandishing our Ale Trail books, we just wanted a quiet pint and a stamp in our books, but were refused! Have complained to local branch of Camra and asked for the W & H to be banned from next years ale trail.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What the hell is that all about?

6 of us went out last night.
We grabbed a table outside of the Wagon and Horses, while me and a mate went to get the beers, only to be told:-

'we can't serve parties over 5'.

I guess there's something in it, but to show no discretion at all was amazing.
We are all 41 and were discussing our pensions! Plus is was only about 6pm.

The same happened after the Komedia in an empty pub on the corner.

We went back to The W&H, walked in, in two groups of 3 and all stood together at the bar, with our drinks.

Went on a pub crawl around town a couple of weeks back and the W&H were markedly one of the most expensive pubs for a pint of something not all that. f*** 'em if they want to turn away six customers. Won't be quite so snotty when they go bust :wave:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Whilst I agree that this is a bit ridiculous, I think the fact you're using the fact that youre all 40/50+ a bit rich. I'm 28, but I've never been in a fight and doubt very much whether any of my mates have.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Went on a pub crawl around town a couple of weeks back and the W&H were markedly one of the most expensive pubs for a pint of something not all that. Feck 'em if they want to turn away six customers. Won't be quite so snotty when they go bust :wave:

amen, sista!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
What the hell is that all about?

6 of us went out last night.
We grabbed a table outside of the Wagon and Horses, while me and a mate went to get the beers, only to be told:-

'we can't serve parties over 5'.

I guess there's something in it, but to show no discretion at all was amazing.
We are all 41 and were discussing our pensions! Plus is was only about 6pm.

The same happened after the Komedia in an empty pub on the corner.

We went back to The W&H, walked in, in two groups of 3 and all stood together at the bar, with our drinks.

You should have come and said hello, if you where at Komedia. How disappointing. Upstairs or downstairs?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I dont agree at all but my mate is a bouncer on a door and they get trained and then train the bar staff not to let to many men in groups in because if it does kick off (which it very rarely does) the door staff wont be able to control the situation.

Crap rule but sadly the culture we now live in.

This is not an actual part of a doormans SIA training, the rules will be imposed by the the pubs themselves.

its not a "rule", its just the pubs policy. it might mean somthing at a club in the evening but pathetic for a pub early evening. a few pubs round there are right up there arses, why even have door staff? go deeper into the Laine and find a better pub.

As you say it is just a pubs policy rather than anything written in to law, and highly unlikely to be a stipulation of a pub's license unless they have had repeated trouble with fights breaking out. Unlike having a bouncer, most of the pubs in central Brighton have a stipulation in their premises licence requiring them to have a doorman on Friday and Saturday nights, some even have to every day (places like the Font, anywhere on West Street etc)

We do. Not allowed to serve more than four alcoholic beverages at a time as part of our licensing law.

This is crazy, I'm sure it is correct but the club should have argued against it. I'm sure that they could have convinced the licensing authorities that people buying multiple drinks is not a problem. It is not a pub situation where people buy a round a pints with chasers but one where large groups of people find it more efficient to buy large rounds rather than queue up seperately. The DPS at the Amex should definitely look in to talking to the licensing authorities to get this changed.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Would it make a difference if you had a female with you? *sensesfreedrinksopportunity*

Strange that you say that but when I've been out as part of a group of men we've often offered free drinks to women in the queue to allow us to enter the club / pub with them thus making us not be a group of men !!!! The policy is just daft - anyone can get round it with a bit of thought.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You should have come and said hello, if you where at Komedia. How disappointing. Upstairs or downstairs?
Upstairs for the 8pm show, I didn't know you were 'connected' there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
anyone can get round it with a bit of thought.
As I said in my OP.
We went back in, later in the evening, in 2x3 groups, no problems.
We even stood all together in the middle of the bar area.
As opposed to sitting @ the table, outside, pretty much furtherest away round the side of the pub.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On a positive note, the evening ended so badly, for me, I doubt I will ever be in Brighton again, with 5 other 'friends'.
But the least said about that the better.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
On a positive note, the evening ended so badly, for me, I doubt I will ever be in Brighton again, with 5 other 'friends'.
But the least said about that the better.
*Tch* They didn't strip you naked and chain you to a lamp post again did they?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
This has been the same for years. I remmeber about 15 years ago trying to get into a comedy club in covent garden in a group of 6 blokes and the bouncer refused us entry but said if we could find a woman to come in with then it would be fine. So we hung aorund outside for about 5 minutes until to girls turned up to go into the club and in front of the bouncers asked if we could come in with them as a group of 8. The bouncer then let us in without any problem. As soon as we were in through the door we sat at a table without said girls and watched an evening of comedy without harming anyone.

Crazy!!!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here