Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sorry about this but......

westdeneite

Jul 26, 2004
Westdene
yet another geeky question.
Having installed Norton anti-virus plus firewall, firewall is apparently set to high and I can't access any web sites. Therefore, to get into sites I have to disable Norton, which seems a bit risky.
How do I lower the security level of Firewall?
The current situation is really arsing me off so any advice appreciated.:dunce:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The Large One said:
Bin it, and buy yourself a Mac G5.

Only to be screwed when Apple pull the support plug on PowerPC significantly earlier than announced, as they've always done with every other major departure (from cable TV decoders; M68K; Classic; etc, etc.)

Much much cheaper is to change to a different OS -on the same computer-. PCBSD does a good job of being a "Shiny FreeBSD". Which is all OSX is, really.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
MYOB said:
Only to be screwed when Apple pull the support plug on PowerPC significantly earlier than announced, as they've always done with every other major departure (from cable TV decoders; M68K; Classic; etc, etc.)

Much much cheaper is to change to a different OS -on the same computer-. PCBSD does a good job of being a "Shiny FreeBSD". Which is all OSX is, really.

WTF? Didn't get any of that.

All I'm saying is - in plain English - I've got a G5 at work, and it's the mutts. Really fast, compatible with nearly everything. It's cool, man.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The Large One said:
WTF? Didn't get any of that.

All I'm saying is - in plain English - I've got a G5 at work, and it's the mutts. Really fast, compatible with nearly everything. It's cool, man.

They also have a future use life of about 18 months, cost a f***ing PACKET, and can be used as a replacement for your space heater when you start going heavy work.

The only advantage they have for a home user is that the OS, as yet, can't be bolloxed up by surfing the net bareback. However, you can get the same OS on a far far far cheaper machine (with the same 18 months future life before being utterly obsolete), or just use a -different OS- on your pre-existing machine.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
westdeneite said:
yet another geeky question.
Having installed Norton anti-virus plus firewall, firewall is apparently set to high and I can't access any web sites. Therefore, to get into sites I have to disable Norton, which seems a bit risky.
How do I lower the security level of Firewall?
The current situation is really arsing me off so any advice appreciated.:dunce:

I'll field this one as the GOONS argue above!

Go to the Options and somewhere theres an option to Lower the security level or something like that, if you can find it use the Help funtion and you'll find the answer that way

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Double click on the Norton firewall icon, then then click on the tab Configure.
This should then provide the options for your security levels... medium should be ok

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
adrian29uk said:
PowerPC will always be supported.

End of the day thou you should get rid of Windows its a complete pile of poo poo. Im getting myself a G5 next year and use my linux machine for development.

Until 2008 by Apple, and thats if they have a fit and/or can't migrate the -extreme- low end hardware like the eMac or the Mini. I doubt the G5 will be available as of the end of next year, for instance; or the Powerbook. Don't expect to see the 2009 instance of OS X having a PPC edition

In addition, 64-bit PPC has already been junked. Rosetta only translates 32 bit binaries; OS X 10.5 will not further the 64-bit PPC support any more; and IBM aren't going to provide any more speed bumps except maybe the much promised 3.0Ghz.

Sure, Linux and the BSD's will support PPC for all eternity, but they have bad problems on current PPC hardware (trackpads, modems, wireless, fans, sleep and even sound all either badly or not supported across Apple's current range of machines)

Those who remember last time Apple moved processors can remember that while the OS's kept coming - till 8.1 in 1998 - the apps stopped. Very few applications supported the 680x0's beyond about 1996. And with this move, many new apps won't support PPC -at all-, or will be cross-built in XCode and never tested - cross builds are never very reliable. Buying a PPC now is likely to be the worst computing mistake you ever make.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
adrian29uk said:
What is BSD honestly like? Im thought about stickin on my Linux box?

Depends on the variant. They're all more difficult to install, configure and use than Linux, with the exception of PC-BSD, but they're also faster than Linux, RAM usage is significantly down - I use NetBSD 2.02 with GNOME 2.12 on a 1Ghz PIII with 256MB RAM, wouldn't get a graphical Linux distro liking that machine at all. I find it far easier to use than Linux, but its not going to be for everyone. But if you can use a Linux distro more complex than Lindows, you can use BSD.

westdeneite

Jul 26, 2004
Westdene
Apart from Marc and Yorkie I haven't the f**k clue what the rest of you were telling me.
Thanks anyway, will try the suggestions given.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
MYOB said:
The only advantage they have for a home user is that the OS, as yet, can't be bolloxed up by surfing the net bareback. However, you can get the same OS on a far far far cheaper machine (with the same 18 months future life before being utterly obsolete), or just use a -different OS- on your pre-existing machine.

That's where you're wrong, sunshine.

We've got Mac OSX Tiger running on G4 and G5 at work, and the difference in speed and operating capacity is massive. You would have to upgrade the drivers to such an extent on the G4 that you might as well go and buy a G5. And they're not THAT dear.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The Large One said:
That's where you're wrong, sunshine.

We've got Mac OSX Tiger running on G4 and G5 at work, and the difference in speed and operating capacity is massive. You would have to upgrade the drivers to such an extent on the G4 that you might as well go and buy a G5. And they're not THAT dear.

The difference is only because of the raw clock speed difference (1.67 top versus 2.something lowest). The "locked potential" of the G5, in its 64 bit abilities, are never going to be used by OS X, be it Leopard or beyond.

Oh, and when you compare them to a similarly powered Intel machine (remember, the "Megahertz Myth" Apple pushed at you for years was not only lies, it was lies in the opposite direction), Apple kit moves from about 20% dearer (mini) to 50% (Powerbook) to -one hundred percent- dearer (G5)

And you get a monitor with the Intel machine.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
MYOB said:
The difference is only because of the raw clock speed difference (1.67 top versus 2.something lowest). The "locked potential" of the G5, in its 64 bit abilities, are never going to be used by OS X, be it Leopard or beyond.

Oh, and when you compare them to a similarly powered Intel machine (remember, the "Megahertz Myth" Apple pushed at you for years was not only lies, it was lies in the opposite direction), Apple kit moves from about 20% dearer (mini) to 50% (Powerbook) to -one hundred percent- dearer (G5)

And you get a monitor with the Intel machine.

Plain English, please. :rolleyes:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The Large One said:
Plain English, please. :rolleyes:

1. The G5 you already have could be a lot faster. Apple aren't going to make it faster

2. Apple kit is a lot more expensive than a faster Intel or AMD machine. And the Intel or AMD machine will come with a screen, keyboard and mouse for less than the G5 alone.

That better?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
MYOB said:
1. The G5 you already have could be a lot faster. Apple aren't going to make it faster

2. Apple kit is a lot more expensive than a faster Intel or AMD machine. And the Intel or AMD machine will come with a screen, keyboard and mouse for less than the G5 alone.

That better?

Oh well, the screen, keyboard and mouse came with anyway - no extra cost. Anyway, the trade I'm in, PCs aren't used - Macs are.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The Large One said:
Oh well, the screen, keyboard and mouse came with anyway - no extra cost. Anyway, the trade I'm in, PCs aren't used - Macs are.

A consumer on the stree doesn't get the screen, keyboard or mouse with a G5 or a Mac Mini, only with the eMac/iMac and the laptops. If you're in a Mac tied trade, you also get -massive- discounts to keep you there. That said, there is now absolutely nothing you "have" to do on a Mac, unlike publishing in the early 1990's or audio work in the mid. Apple never led the way in video editing - sorry to say the Amiga w/Video Toaster and SGI had you over that barrel all the way through...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here