Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sony Walkman

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
any particular model?

Jul 5, 2003
BN11
FFS don't buy an iPod!

Stylish, yes, but they're overpriced and the battery life isn't much cop. Do some research, comparing the model you're interested in against some equivilent models by Sony, etc. and I'll be amazed if you still go for an iPod.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
I bought my Missus the 20 Gb one for Christmas and she reckons its the Mutts Nutz

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
FFS buy an ipod.

Battery problems thing of the past, the best sounding, easiest to use, lovely colour screen, plays videos (don't know why?) , simpley the best MP3 player. No-one has convincingly explained why not to have one against others on the market, except perhaps price, so just do it.

If however you do decide to look elsewhere be wary of some of the Sony ones, the software you have to use is shocking, really bad, so only go for one of the newest models.

But you should still go for an iPod

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Dropkick Turnip said:
FFS don't buy an iPod!

Stylish, yes, but they're overpriced and the battery life isn't much cop. Do some research, comparing the model you're interested in against some equivilent models by Sony, etc. and I'll be amazed if you still go for an iPod.

I did all that and concludid the 60Gig iPod video was the best on offer. 5 months later my opinon is the same..

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I bought the 6 gig version and I'm well pleased with it. Bought Mrs Nail-Z one as well now.

The only thing against it is the Sony CONNECT software - although a recent update seems to have solved a lot of the problems.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Superphil said:
FFS buy an ipod.

Battery problems thing of the past, the best sounding, easiest to use, lovely colour screen, plays videos (don't know why?) , simpley the best MP3 player. No-one has convincingly explained why not to have one against others on the market, except perhaps price, so just do it.

If however you do decide to look elsewhere be wary of some of the Sony ones, the software you have to use is shocking, really bad, so only go for one of the newest models.

But you should still go for an iPod

Battery, hard drive, scratching and initial high price problems aside, surely?

Most other players have colour screens

Other players did video before the iPod, up to three years before - Apple was late to the game, again.

And its not officially an mp3 player - its an AAC player with mp3 support.

But Sony suck. Go for an iRiver*. Or a Creative, where you'll pay less for a 60GB version than most 20GB Apple versions

*the iPod ripped off this name, not the other way around; sorry Apple fanboys

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I'm very bored of the iPod vs the rest of the world MP3 players.....iPods are for the image conscience (consious?!) and for the "impulse buyer". As with any hardware gadget its MUCH better to shop around alot before you just buy.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I bought a 20gb NWA 3000 Sony and I have to say I absolutely hate it - the Connect software is absolutely crap. I am going to sell mine. I've already purchased a 30gb Creative Zen Vision as a replacement. The 6gb Creative I gave my wife is superb.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
:bounce:
Sony - at long, long last - seem to have sorted out the software problems. Not unimpressively, they've updated the software on the device (which I've had for about a year now, now it has a clock/calender) as well as the software on the PC. And, best of all and famous last words, it all seems to be working an absolute treat. It's not been great but it is a very, very good player other than these awful software glitches they've had, so it might be worth reconsidering them now.
sony%20walkman.jpg

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Don't come on here asking what to do when it breaks, or how to reuse music you ripped to AAC on a proper player or the million other things people are forever asking to do on their fashion victim AAC players.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Man of Harveys said:
:bounce:
Sony - at long, long last - seem to have sorted out the software problems. Not unimpressively, they've updated the software on the device (which I've had for about a year now, now it has a clock/calender) as well as the software on the PC. And, best of all and famous last words, it all seems to be working an absolute treat. It's not been great but it is a very, very good player other than these awful software glitches they've had, so it might be worth reconsidering them now.
sony%20walkman.jpg

We've got a Sony that looks almost identical to the one in that picture, bought in November last year and I am just getting ready to return it for the fourth time because it has yet again gone screwy. I'm waiting to hear from a higher up person than the skivvy I have been dealing with about giving up the ghost on this stupid thing for good. Far more hassle than it is worth. Paddy went and bought an iPod in Feb to use instead of this piece of trash but I paid good money for it so would at least like it to work once in a while.

I am still using an iPod bought about four years ago that has not once gone wrong and is working just as well now as it was when we first bought it.

Cals Creative Zen has always been good though.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
MYOB said:
Don't come on here asking what to do when it breaks, or how to reuse music you ripped to AAC on a proper player or the million other things people are forever asking to do on their fashion victim AAC players.

Oh FFS give it up.

I've had an iPod for years without ANY problems. Do you ever consider you might be a tad obsessed?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
DJ Leon said:
Oh FFS give it up.

I've had an iPod for years without ANY problems. Do you ever consider you might be a tad obsessed?

I tunes is a bit crafty tho - if you rip a cd using it you can only send the music to an ipod.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
DJ Leon said:
Oh FFS give it up.

If you had to fix at LEAST five of the fuckers every month when friends/colleagues/etc bring them in saying "you know about mp3 players, my iPod has stopped working" like I do, you'd want the f***ing things banned. :angry: :angry:

At this stage I think I've probably had to send about 40 of them back to Apple for people, as well as reformat loads of older ones where the HDD is starting to do a bit dicky and give CRC errors. They have the least reliable batteries, hard drives, chargers, software and firmware possible.

In that entire time, I've had one person ask me to "take a look" at a blackened Creative Zen where they'd attempted to charge it with their Blackberry charger. Creative replaced it for some reason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here