Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Songs - You still remember the first time you heard them

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Oddly enough both of mine are times when I listened to the albums with headphones before I heard them through speakers. And both albums.

Dark Side of the Moon, when about 17, and we weren't allowed to listen to 'that sort of stuff' at home - sat with the family in the living room c1982 but alone in my own world with headphones on.
Elbow, The Seldom Seen Kid, 2008 - listening if front of the fire in my own home, but with headphones as the domestic management was watching telly. Simply couldn't believe, or understand why, I hadn't heard them before.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I had been a little rockabilly from an early age, loved my dads records of Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, then Matchbox, Stray Cats etc had broke into the charts, I thought I had found my niche, so one day at school, a girl in my class came up to me and told me to listen to John Peel tonight, there’s a band on her sister who moved to London really likes, they are kinda rockabilly, but not, kinda punk, but their not, you might like them, I will always remember because she got the bands name wrong The Mekons, so that night I was sat in my bedroom I was listening to John Peel, went down to make a drink came back up and I had missed the first song.
This is the link, and the second song “Love you to death” received the highest complaints at that time, surpassing even the Sex Pistols.

I was hooked, I bought the NME, Sounds etc, dropped the rockabilly image, bought a pair of steel toe cap boots, donkey jacket, and bleached my jeans, I bought into the whole way of life. I wish I could thank that girl, the love of the style and sound has introduced me to some wonderful friends, and I’ve been to gigs all around the world, Japan, New Zealand, Europe, Scandinavia, America, Mexico, to go to a gig in Russia is my next target.

https://youtu.be/pWgowxcq-R0

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Loved this single when it came out it was a record of the week on R1 when I first heard it. A minor hit and I could never understand why.

Strange one I never heard this in the sixties, my parents did not like pop music, so when I first heard it on a juke box at the Henty Arms in Ferring it caused my mate a great chance to take the piss.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I vividly remember seeing the Spice Girls perform (mime) Wannabe on a quickly forgotten sunday morning kids show called "Fully Booked" which had some sort of a hotel theme, with Gail Porter being one of the presenters and there was a cow called Morag

first time I'd heard of the Spice Girls, doubt it was their first tv appearance but I wasn't wowed by them

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In the late 80s and early 90s there was a brilliant BBC2 show called "Snub TV" that used to mainly show indie. It was different to any other programme out there and, today, would probably be shoved to the graveyard shift on a speciality music channel.

Seeing the Mondays perform "Do It Better" on there changed my life. I remember being at home, in my living room and suddenly finding the answer to all my musical questions. At school the other kids either seemed to like hip hop or indie or pop or dance but never all of them. I did. Suddenly it was ok, and the crowd looked like the Goldstone North Stand at a really big game, only with strobe lights. I was in Joe Bloggs flares within a month or two.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I heard this at the "Brighton Beach" indie night at The Cockpit in Leeds, in the days before one could Google for songs (or indeed HotBot...), so the morning after I phoned up and sang it to a bemused venue manager, who recognised it in seconds:

https://youtu.be/Cu21kEn7UWY

Incidentally, the Kaiser Chiefs were also there that night, just as punters, before they were famous - friends of a friend.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I heard this at the "Brighton Beach" indie night at The Cockpit in Leeds, in the days before one could Google for songs (or indeed HotBot...), so the morning after I phoned up and sang it to a bemused venue manager, who recognised it in seconds:

https://youtu.be/Cu21kEn7UWY

Incidentally, the Kaiser Chiefs were also there that night, just as punters, before they were famous - friends of a friend.

I'm sure Northside were also on SnubTV. I'm certain I saw them at The Zap and that was probably their only good song. File alongside Flowered Up and The Bridewell Taxis.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset

Wife rushed in for an emergency caesarian at about 3am after a horrific, and almost fatal, labour. This was playing in the back ground as the teams did their job. Still well up now.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Hey Jude, on the Lagoon beach, school summer holidays of 68, and the White Album in November of the same year - this time working part time in the Kings Hotel Brighton as a lift attendant (radio 1 played the whole album late on a quiet Saturday evening and I listened with the receptionist who I quite fancied but she was out of my league).

boik

Heard "Birthday" by the Sugarcubes on Peels late night show. I was so transfixed I kept out of bed and run around the house to find a pen to make a note of it. Still gives me shivers.

Magazine performing The Light Pours Out of Me on OGWT after an evening shift is another that sticks in the mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here