Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Somewhat nerdy question re Airfix/Revell models

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
This thread takes me back to early teenage years, trying to get all of the millions of machine guns in the right location on Flying Fortresses and having squadrons of Spitfires and Me109s to refight the Battle of Britain.

And the little white tubes of glue which smelt wonderful and would send me off to sleep after an hour or so......

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Just finished a diorama with a 1960s Mini Cooper set in the Monte Carlo rally era
Everything handmade and airbrushed, just bought the kit for the car

2gtq4bs.jpg

icstbt.jpg

2hf1ert.jpg

Looks amazing. How long did that take?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
After rediscovering plastic model making, I am now into wooden plank on plank hull ships, billings, etc. I use www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk and have made a few Amati, caldercraft Nelson's navy vessels, and have this on the go now:

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/mantua_brittannia.html

It's actually pretty huge, being 1/60th scale. But I have the frame started and the hull planking prepared, it's double planked, and my daughter who has a small sideline of sewing, making various bags, iPod/ iPad covers etc, is going to do the sails for me as I am not very good with a sewing machine.

The sackville road models shop is excellent and can be used for very old or discontinued photo etch parts etc.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Moggy...that is the tamiya mini isn't it. I built that last year.

BTW I have just seen the dustbin cart pull away with a whole bag pull of all my old built kits that I decided to chuck and start again???I had loads of tamiya, revell! air fix, kits in that bag and will miss my tamiya 350 scale ships, I had around 5 of them spending around £50 each on photo etch stuff. Few hundred pounds worth of kits, but I couldn't give them to a chariteeee shop as they are not suitable as toys!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well, I dropped by the LSA place. Was like stepping back in time, shelf after dusty shelf stacked floor to ceiling with kits. Got what I was after, so thanks, nerds of NSC, you're all great :thumbs up:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Looks amazing. How long did that take?

About 30 hrs to build the mini and airbrush it, also had to get a driver seperate as that wasn't included in the £16 kit.
Base and ground work about 20 hours

BTW I have just seen the dustbin cart pull away with a whole bag pull of all my old built kits that I decided to chuck and start again???I had loads of tamiya, revell! air fix, kits in that bag and will miss my tamiya 350 scale ships, I had around 5 of them spending around £50 each on photo etch stuff. Few hundred pounds worth of kits, but I couldn't give them to a chariteeee shop as they are not suitable as toys!

Doooh - you should have freegled them!

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
This thread takes me back to early teenage years, trying to get all of the millions of machine guns in the right location on Flying Fortresses and having squadrons of Spitfires and Me109s to refight the Battle of Britain.

And the little white tubes of glue which smelt wonderful and would send me off to sleep after an hour or so......

Strange. I spent my teenage years masturbating.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick

Yes mate, it's the tamiya mini, readily available and cheap, 1/24 scale

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here