Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Something that has always puzzled me..

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
So your saying that time ages more than you the more and more you get closer to the speed of light?

If the fasted ever rocket was 25,000 mph, those this mean they were going at 7 miles or so a second?

Not quite, time is a relative concept and as you travel more and more quickly, you will age more slowly in relation to others that are not travelling at that speed. Time in itself cannot age.

7 miles a second - yes.

Or to put it another way, 0.0038% of the speed of light. We have a way to go yet before we get close to light speed :smile:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hubble isn't a 100 light years from the earth so it doesn't match his criteria. And even if we COULD get a telescope 100 light years away ... it would still take 100 years for the pictures from the telescope to be beamed back to earth so we'd be no better off.

Firstly, assuming the telescope travels at the speed of light then it would take a hundred years to get it in position therefore we don't benefit. Our decendents in 200 years time would be able to look back on their predecesors of 100 years time and see what they were doing, which, in all probability they will know about because of digital records.

2010 Launch Telescope
2110 Telescope in position
2210 First pictures reach telescope to be transmitted back.
2310 The people on earth can now see what happened in 2110!!

Stupid idea.

Andrew

May 15, 2008
Sussex
Firstly, assuming the telescope travels at the speed of light then it would take a hundred years to get it in position therefore we don't benefit. Our decendents in 200 years time would be able to look back on their predecesors of 100 years time and see what they were doing, which, in all probability they will know about because of digital records.

2010 Launch Telescope

Stupid idea.

It would be pretty cool though.

Andrew

May 15, 2008
Sussex
Saw a film about that once. Think it was called 'The Teleporter'.

There was another called "The Fly" where a bloke made a teleporter, and used it on himself but there was a fly in it with him and he came out of the machine normal, but slowly turned into a fly for the days after.

For me, I don't think it's possible to be able to teleport, so planes and cars will do for now.

But It would be cool though, to go to Brazil for a swim then suddenly decide to go to Florida, the have a meal in Italy :ohmy:

2010 Launch Telescope

Stupid idea.

Sorry to be pedantic, but it wouldn't take 100 years for the 'first pictures to reach telescope'. The light rays would already be in existence at the point of the telescope, it's just that the telescope won't have been there to magnify them. So in fact, assuming the telescope can travel at the speed of light, the first pictures would be received on Earth in 2210, and would document the Earth of 2010.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
Sorry to be pedantic, but it wouldn't take 100 years for the 'first pictures to reach telescope'. The light rays would already be in existence at the point of the telescope, it's just that the telescope won't have been there to magnify them. So in fact, assuming the telescope can travel at the speed of light, the first pictures would be received on Earth in 2210, and would document the Earth of 2010.

Top pedantry - 10/10
:thumbsup:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Astronomers are able to look through a telescope and see distant stars as they were billions of years ago, so I was wondering, why don’t we sent a telescope up into space say about 100 light years away from the earth so that we can see what was happening 100 year ago?

We already know what happened 100 years ago, its called history

biggles

Feb 21, 2009
There was another called "The Fly" where a bloke made a teleporter, and used it on himself but there was a fly in it with him and he came out of the machine normal, but slowly turned into a fly for the days after.

For me, I don't think it's possible to be able to teleport, so planes and cars will do for now.

But It would be cool though, to go to Brazil for a swim then suddenly decide to go to Florida, the have a meal in Italy :ohmy:

f*** me , if you said that in a geordie accent you would be just like michael , alan partridges mate!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here