Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some thoughts on the BBC

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Being over last week I got the chance to watch a bit of telly. Anyone who stays with my parents gets to watch a lot of TV...Some thoughts:

- the 10 o'clock news on the BBC was almost hysterical about Swine Flu. What has happened to British resolve? Totally over-the-top.

- DIY SOS has to be the sorriest sack of shite I've seen for a long time. An appalling presenter with a crappy estuary English accent. Builders who thought they were feckin comedians. A single mother who couldn't afford to renovate her house. It was shit.

- What's happened to Nick Ross & Crimewatch? It took me years to get over Sue Cook leaving but no Nick Ross? Noone said sleep well, don't have nightmares at the end. Mind you, Kirsty Young is a cracking MILF. Loved the description of a wanted man from Portsmouth as an extremely violent man. We'd just heard how he smashed someone's face in with a knuckleduster. Cheers for the warning!

- Football Focus. I don't want to romanticise about the past because it was never perfect but what a lazy, tedious show that was. Lawrenson slouched on the sofa looking disinterested. It was the last weekend of the season for 3/4 of the league but all we got were a few minutes on Norwich and a brief summary of the potential ups & downs. Show some imagination and hunt out more interesting stories!

Apart from that, you don't know how lucky you are to have the BBC!

the problem I find with the BBC and i think this is the same with most channels now is that anything to fill a slot will do,i think there are programs worth watching but not enough that you could sit down at 7 in the evening and watch a whole nights entertainment.
Saying that in Sweden we have BBC entertainment which has kept running the same programs over and over again for the last 3 months so beggars cant be choosers

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I agree the BBC has got really lazy. Agnew, Allis, Balding, Inverdale, Lawrenson, Lineker, Hanson - all smug gits. I much prefer Sky with Botham, Gower, Nasser, most of their football pundits are ok.

On Grand National day I almost smashed the telly when they put it all to classical music and then had a scouser read a poem. FFS its a horse race, stop going over the top to make it all arty.
Good sport is like art and doesn't need to have over romanticing twats going on about 'what a wonderful story it would be if...' and if I hear Peter Allis mention another Golf Clubs centenary year - aaaaaaaaarrrrrrgh

..and breathe

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I agree the BBC has got really lazy. Agnew, Allis, Balding, Inverdale, Lawrenson, Lineker, Hanson - all smug gits. I much prefer Sky with Botham, Gower, Nasser, most of their football pundits are ok.

I, on ther other hand, feel the polar opposite.

John Inverdale is, to my mind, the best (and most under-rated) sports commentator there is.

Sky's remit appears to basically puff up the fact that they work for Sky. David Gower I don't mind, but Nasser Hussein and Ian Botham are commentating pygmies to the interest and intellect stimulated by CMJ, Aggers et al.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Football Focus. It was the last weekend of the season for 3/4 of the league but all we got were a few minutes on Norwich and a brief summary of the potential ups & downs.

Think I caught this too. Brief film clip then back to the studio to discuss, supposedly, the last weekend of the football league's three divisions, and the opening comment is: "what a close and exciting season it's been everywhere, just look at the Premier League..." and off they go again. Premier League Premier League Premier League blah blah blah....

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Think I caught this too. Brief film clip then back to the studio to discuss, supposedly, the last weekend of the football league's three divisions, and the opening comment is: "what a close and exciting season it's been everywhere, just look at the Premier League..." and off they go again. Premier League Premier League Premier League blah blah blah....

I think part of that is because they don't have any footage to show. Not a lot point discussing the action when they can't show any goals or action. That will probably change next season when they start showing some games from the Championship

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Don't forget, as from next season, BBC and Sky have the rights to the Football league so there should be more coverage on the likes of Football Focus.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you're right, the news is dumbing down to compete with ITV and Sky, which is odd as News 24 is still pretty good. Football focus is OK but lowering. wish they'd drop the 10 minute Scottish league coverage, they dont bother with any English league coverage in the Scotish programme.

daytime TV doesnt count, its all shit.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It is very rare that I watch anything on BBC1 or ITV1 these days. Neither do sport well, in fact ITV don't do anything well in my book (I'm not interested in so-called "Talent" shows or reality TV). The Beeb is still tops for wildlife or science programs but that's about it.

I am seriously trying to think the last time I watched anything on Beeb 1 or ITV1 (apart from Match of the Day, sometimes). Oh yeah, I remember, the last Grand Prix - that's about it.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Never mind all this weepy longing for a romanticised Beeb past.

Whoever did their League One Predictor was SPOT ON.

The BBC NEVER,EVER,lies.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Understand that the Beeb can't show lower league goals on Football Focus but more imaginative interviews would be possible - Luton going out the league, Carlisle's great escape, pundits who even show a faint interest in life outside the Premier League. The endless prattling on about the top flight was terrible.

DIY SOS was not a daytime show - this was on at 8.30 in the evening on BBC1!

BBC4 on the other hand is a fantastic channel!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here