Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some on here may want to take note

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
‘morons’, ‘donuts’ and ‘anoraks’

the full article:

I suppose if you are going to get the sack, you have nothing to lose.

DAVE Byrne has launched an astonishing attack on a section of Town supporters, blasting them as ‘morons’, ‘donuts’ and ‘anoraks’.

Swindon’s caretaker boss was furious after fans on various websites questioned his decision to substitute teenage debutant Callum Kennedy, who was struggling with cramp, just minutes before Carlisle scored their equaliser on Saturday.

And Byrne insists the County Ground club are better off without the ‘backing’ of these so-called fans.

“For those anoraks who sit behind their screens, Callum Kennedy came off because he couldn’t do any more - his calf was like a cricket ball,” he revealed.

“If he hadn’t had cramp he wouldn’t have come off the pitch, and those who were at the game would have been able to see that.

“But I’m just sick and tired of all the negativity that these idiots throw at the club, it’s about time someone said something about them, and that’s what I’m quite prepared to do it.

“Some of the people on forums are constructive, but there is the few morons, donuts and whatever else you want to call them, who are the ones that really get under my skin.

“They are the ones who don’t attend the games, but feel free to comment and pass judgment on players and everything like that.

“They’re the ones who Swindon Town don’t need.”

Byrne believes the situation is becoming a major issue at clubs across the country, and took a swipe at website users who hide behind the anonymity of a forum username.

He blasted: “I’ll always reflect back to these idiots who sit behind their screens at home plastering out that the boys are playing with no confidence and stuff like that.

“I don’t see them as Swindon Town supporters, I just see them as s**t-stirrers and as far as I’m concerned it doesn’t help in any way, shape or form.

“Managers are now coming out and saying about the booing and how it’s counter-productive, but what I can’t understand is how people who don’t even come to the game can have an opinion and it just gets right under my skin.”

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've not been to any swindon games this season, but looking at that article it says they've conceded late in several games. If I say they switch off before the end of the game, that they have a habit of not going until the end, would I be wrong?

What about games I watch on TV, can I comment on them? I'm not actually there, so does my opinion not count because it isn't biased by a desire to enjoy myself since I've spent on the ticket? Or in the other way it isn't biased because I'm angry at having spent out on a ticket for a game that isn't up to standard?

If seeing it on TV makes it ok to comment on, why can't I comment if I listened on the radio? Granted it's not the same as watching it, but they describe the game, they paint a picture as I listen to the commentators explain what is going on, what each player is doing, when a player loses a ball, when a player is consistently making mistakes, simple mistakes, the same mistakes and not learning from them, when we have possession, when we don't, when we press them on the ball, when we seem to try (and fail) at the same thing again and again (e.g. if we keep trying to get the ball down the right flank and cross it in, but every time float the ball straight into the keeper's hands). And yes, they also describe when things go well, when the players succeed, great shots, great saves, last ditch challenges that cut off our opponents attacks etc.

Why can't I trust the reports I read in newspapers, both local and national.

Why can't I comment if I've listened to the match on the radio, listened to the comments by both commentators, call in host, by the manager, key players, fans, and several different news reports, to get a balance view, hear why people a player played poorly or well?

Why can't I pass comment on a match based on facts - possession, attacks, shots on target, time of goals conceded, etc.?

Like Paul Ince this guy is feeling the pressure and taking it out on his detractors.

No, not everyone on here or other message board are fair and reasoned with their criticisms, but if Ince and Byrne were successful in their jobs, they'd have nothing to fear from the people they're quick to denigrate.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Agree 100% with you on this. Also think too many people have a very simplistic idea of what of takes to manage a team.
FM2007 FM2008 FM2009 explains why :cool:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I assume you therefore give opinions on films you haven't seen or books you haven't read?

When I'm not at a game, I make it clear my opinion is not based on being there, whether it be "From listening to the radio it sounded like..." or "reading the reviews in the argus it seems...", "the geneal consensus on NSC appears to be ......... but then some of them just like to moan"

When commenting on films I've not seen my comments tend to be "I've not seen it, but I hear..." or "most of the reviews seem to suggest...".

But I've yet to have a film made by a group of people representing an institution I've supported since I was 6 (that's 23 years, now), I've yet to see a film as people working together to represent me and the club I support. A film is for me, like an Aston Villa game. If it's good, I'll enjoy it, but don't have any emotional connection to it before the thing is made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here