Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some Goals from the withdean years

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Quite simply you don't know what you have until its gone. Shame that some on here and at Withdean never took to him, and didn't appreciate his quality when he was here (Brentford away is a definite low).

Really got to move on though, not sure the obsession some have is healthy

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Mackail-Smith scored 35 goals in the season Murray scored 22. I doubt there were many fans that didn't think we were getting a better striker than we were losing. It 2.5 million plus add ons which won't be completely wasted as we will most likely get around 1.5 to 2 million back should he be off in the summer..

Agreed , as a football manager who do you sign , a player and his agent willing to let his contract run down and expire or a player considered to be the best striker in the same division ?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I was going to post the very same last night.

Powerful, clinical and very skilful - he scores goals from all over the shop.

I can see why we Gus decided we had no use for him here.

It must have been a personality thing.

El Radio didn't believe the shy Murray would fit in again.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Utter BOLLOCKS. We didn't 'give' him to anyone. He was out of contract and was a free agent when he joined Palace. No player holds our club to ransom either. He was offered a Substantial pay rise. Greedy twat, nobody's bigger than the club.

Ps GET OVER IT AND FORGRT IT
How many Palace fans are under the misapprehension they signed him as a free transfer from us ? One thing is for certain they didn't get him for nothing , he wouldn't have signed for a new club without a substantial signing on fee.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How many Palace fans are under the misapprehension they signed him as a free transfer from us ? One thing is for certain they didn't get him for nothing , he wouldn't have signed for a new club without a substantial signing on fee.

He was a free transfer in the common understanding of the term as no transfer fee was paid from Palace to the Albion.

One of the reason's Murray left was that he also wanted a signing on fee for penning a new contract with the Albion. The club disagreed with that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This.

Apart from a tiny minority of Withdeaners who now say they always hated him because he "tried to leave in the past", Murray was a class act, especially in the Poyet era. Absolutely the best striker since Zamora by a long long way, all the way up to the present.

At the Easter 2000 fans day at Withdean on a Thursday morning, about 4,000 turned up. When it came to the meet the individual players bit at the end, there were scrambles to get the autographs of Greer, Bennett, Calderon, and co .... But there were many times more trying to get Murray's. Because the fans knew he was the key player, a brilliant forward/striker.

He was worth the modest pay he sought, and which would have happily kept him in the city where he'd settled.

For the bitter types, Youtube does not lie.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He was a free transfer in the common understanding of the term as no transfer fee was paid from Palace to the Albion.

One of the reason's Murray left was that he also wanted a signing on fee for penning a new contract with the Albion. The club disagreed with that.

Glad they did I honestly am. I've never heard of any player getting a fee for signing a new (improved) contract? Didn't know that happened tbh.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Technically he wasn't an Albion player when he signed for Palace. I take a free transfer to mean another club signing a player who is put on the transfer list and they get him for nothing.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011

You are fair minded, in respecting the class of Murray.

In contrast there are a few on NSC who claim they are 'positive thinkers' :lol: by "having moved on from FFS Judas Murray", and have rewrote history that he wasn't better than League One status.

Murray was the best Albion forward, striker, and intelligent footballer of the last 10 years.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Good players do get them. Sometimes named 'loyalty bonus'.
Completely the norm, and all in the costings done by clubs where cleverly keeping their best players.

The norm for the prem or for LG 1 Brighton? I don't think anyone can judge whether we should have paid this fee without knowing the figures involved or whether any other players have had these fees from the Albion. I don't think we would have normally paid these fees in LG1 myself..

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You are fair minded, in respecting the class of Murray.

In contrast there are a few on NSC who claim they are 'positive thinkers' :lol: by "having moved on from FFS Judas Murray", and have rewrote history that he wasn't better than League One status.

Murray was the best Albion forward, striker, and intelligent footballer of the last 10 years.

There are also those of us, who whilst appreciating how good Murray was/is, think we should just accept that what has happened has happened. The problem is that at least several times a week, threads are appearing on this player. He's gone, get over it. (And I speak as one who ALWAYS thought Murray was class, even when he was being slated on here and on the terraces)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here