Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March - What does he actually do?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The only aspect of Solly's play that needs improvement is taking a shot when the opportunity arises. He's too timid in that respect. The rest of his game, technique, ball retention, positional play, passing, defensive ability, those positive attributes to his game all adhere to a very competent LWB. He's like a new player. A definite upgrade to Solly the left winger and he's no mug in that position either. Wood for the trees.......

Solly is a very good footballer but you’ve nailed it with the adjective timid! He needs Potter’s psychological skills not his coaching ones

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
He grows and grows..... thought he had a good game. My only two caveats is that his confidence dips and he's sometimes too cautious. he's best when he's whipping the ball in fast.

Burn on the left of 3 and Solly as wing back gives us good balance on the left.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
I thought that both he and Trossard had a poor game today.
If they had both been on their game we would of taken all 3 points.

Exactly this
He is very average doesn’t seem to want to go past
the full back which is a real shame because he has got
loads of ability I wish he have a go at the defender a bit more
Average would become Dangerous without any doubt
He’s definitely got the ability he’s fast and strong
I would love to see more of a threat coming from him
A good enough start to the season but I reckon he really could be
our danger man he will get better

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Exactly this
He is very average doesn’t seem to want to go past
the full back which is a real shame because he has got
loads of ability I wish he have a go at the defender a bit more
Average would become Dangerous without any doubt
He’s definitely got the ability he’s fast and strong
I would love to see more of a threat coming from him
A good enough start to the season but I reckon he really could be
our danger man he will get better

You have a very odd reading of the
game. If you look at the statistics Solly
March's average position was somewhat
more advanced than that of Tariq
Lamptey and his stats 'score' was better - 7.1
to 6.9.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
If we had signed him for £15 mil from Boca Juniors and his name was Solly Marcini then I reckon he would get a lot more credit than he currently does. For some reason being a local lad bought from a non league team means some fans will consistently underrate his contribution to the team. Is he a world beater? No, but no one in our team is (barring maybe Lamptey some time in the future). Is he a solid and committed player who puts in a defensive shift as well as getting forward to good effect? Yes.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
to 6.9.

Not to mention he went past his fullback on several occasions getting decent crosses in.

Some people just parrot back the same old myths about Solly:

"Doesn't have confidence in himself"
"Never beats his man"
"Doesn't look up"
"Lightweight"
"Inconsistent"

It doesn't matter what he does or how well he plays, if there is one occasion where he passes back to retain possession, you can guarantee all of these tropes will be regurgitated on here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At least we now have a thread to bump every time he has a good game. I predict the next one will be next week

I hope not, I hate these threads and wish they slumped down the board as soon as send is pressed.

They serve no purpose other than troll feed - see Ryan's version.

I'm not a fan of Solly and have said so a few times.
I don't feel that gives me the rite to repeat the same shite every single week.
I don't think that's healthy for anybody.

I'm enjoying Solly's current rejuvenation, but having bought that t-shirt so often before, I'll not be rushing to buy one now.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
to

He might well have more advanced positions on average
my point was that he isn’t really that dangerous in them
advanced positions but is capable of giving more I reckon
Even with my odd view of the game

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
to

He might well have more advanced positions on average
my point was that he isn’t really that dangerous in them
advanced positions but is capable of giving more I reckon
Even with my odd view of the game

Regardless of your views on
Solly March or any other of our
players, what I really find odd is
your placement of carriage returns
at random in your sentences so
that the text is breaking about 1/3 of
the way into the page. Why are you
doing this?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Never ceases to amaze me how one eyed and entrenched peoples opinions can be about players. When someone is crap they will always be crap every week without fail. Change position? Still crap. Mature as a player? Doesn't matter still crap.

March is improving leaps and bounds. Wing back suits him, he has a good engine, improving in the tackle and learning the position. Top class? No. PL class? Yes.
The one area that needs work is his decision making in the final third. Too often he makes a poor decision or the execution of the decision is poor. He works down the left flank really well and in a lot of ways is better than Lamptey in that regard. Where Lamptey is better is in the quality of the final ball and in how he commits defenders.
He's not going to be Roberto Carlos and the doubters need to get their heads around that fact but he is a very decent wing back and one that will improve the more he plays there.

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
This has got to be a joke or a wind-up?

For me Solly and Tariq have been arguably our best players so far this season.

What is this BS about no end product? Is he meant to create a goal every time he touches the ball? Only then would some people be happy, although its Solly so they'd still find fault

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Solly offers us great versatility and options in LB, LWB and LW positions.

He is a player who is still improving and has already proved he can reach PL levels.

Firmly in the pro-March camp, although would like to see him shoot a bit more. He scored some crackers outside the box for us back in the championship.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I can't get my head around the grief Solly gets. Even in times when he has had a poor run of form the vitriol he gets from our fans is pretty depressing.

He is one of only two (three if you include Webster) local lads in the squad. He scored the goal that ended up promoting us. There doesn't seem to be any ego or attitude. Only a professional, local lad playing for our beloved team. If my son achieved the same I would be literally bursting with pride.

Criticism is one thing - and you know what I am all for even having a proper pop at a player if he truly deserves it (Leon Best, Chupa Akpom) - but some of our number have a proper chip on their shoulder with Solly and I cannot get my head around why? He clearly puts in the graft, ok he ****s up sometimes and isn't the perfect player - but neither was Gary Hart but he was a cult hero?

Maybe it's because there is potentially a serious player somewhere inside that just won't come out (yet) that gets some people so riled up, but abusing the lad isn't going to bring it out. Solly has had a solid start to the season so far and it has been suggested (correctly imo) that the lack of fans is probably why.

Maybe if we get behind him properly when we return to the stands we can push him into becoming the player we all want him to be.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Never ceases to amaze me how one eyed and entrenched peoples opinions can be about players. When someone is crap they will always be crap every week without fail. Change position? Still crap. Mature as a player? Doesn't matter still crap.

March is improving leaps and bounds. Wing back suits him, he has a good engine, improving in the tackle and learning the position. Top class? No. PL class? Yes.
The one area that needs work is his decision making in the final third. Too often he makes a poor decision or the execution of the decision is poor. He works down the left flank really well and in a lot of ways is better than Lamptey in that regard. Where Lamptey is better is in the quality of the final ball and in how he commits defenders.
He's not going to be Roberto Carlos and the doubters need to get their heads around that fact but he is a very decent wing back and one that will improve the more he plays there.

It's called spite.

Unbelievable when it's an Albion player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here