Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly in 'Top Ten Most Improved PL Players' table

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He has been very good this season and he deserves this recognition - fair play to him, and Potter, for finding a position that suits him best. A bit like Schelotto (albeit far less chaotic) in the sense that he enjoys the freedom to run up and down the wing without someone else playing on that side. I'm not a fan of the back 3 tactic generally, but if the players perform and the team is successful then it's a job well done.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I wonder how much crowds - or lack of - have impacted this?

There were a number of interviews in which Solly was picked out as "great in training" and so on which often wasn't reflected in games. The absence of crowds has coincided with his upturn in performance and i'd have him currently as POTS ahead of Bissouma with Webster in a distant third. Conversely, Dunk performances had dropped off a bit (albeit he has been brilliant again recently) since the lockdown. Both could be coincidence but it must surely impact players one way or another?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Solly's turned into one of those players who, when they receive or win the ball, you think "he'll know what to do with this".

He's also turned into a player who, were he to leave Brighton for any reason, would now be more likely to stay in the Premier League than dip down to the Championship, which some of us thought might be his natural level.

He's been brilliant this season. Delighted for him, and for us.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I think managers love him for his percentage play, pragmatism and ball retention.

I don't remember getting counter attacked this season because Solly lost the ball

This is true, as is his undoubted improvement over the last 2, or so years with us in the EPL.

He is also an exemplary professional in proving that recovery and continued pro-footballing career post ACL surgery is now possible in the modern game.

Whilst I acknowledge he is not gifted with blistering pace, I just wish sometimes he would try and get past the full-back down the line rather than always [and predictably] stop and check - sure it retains possession, but going past his man would be the ultimate string to his bow.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Solly's turned into one of those players who, when they receive or win the ball, you think "he'll know what to do with this".

He's also turned into a player who, were he to leave Brighton for any reason, would now be more likely to stay in the Premier League than dip down to the Championship, which some of us thought might be his natural level.

He's been brilliant this season. Delighted for him, and for us.
He's turned into an Ashley Barnes...

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Thinking of poor Solly. Another great performance, instrumental in the goal. Praying it’s not as serious as it looked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here