Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

solar panels?

TheFatBallBoy

Jan 10, 2010
Hove
Thinking of having solar panels put on the roof of our house,anyone already doing this or researched best company! i think we would have made a fortune so far this year selling back sunshine gold to the electric companies:rolleyes:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
The tarrif is going down from 21p to 17p in July (after having just come down from 42p). At the same time electricity will only increase in price for ever more so it would be crazy not to have them asap ( especially if you live down here on the sunshine coast)
Obviously the only catch is stumping up £10,000 which seems to be the going rate for most installers.
Personally I'm waiting a little while for the big Jap manufacturers to start producing better ones at a cheaper price, the technology is moving along very fast and when I do install them I won't be getting them from one of these companies that do it for free then you're tied to them for 25 yrs.
If you've got the money, buy the panels from Sanyo or someone and get them fitted independently. 12-16 panels should cover your needs.

Thinking of having solar panels put on the roof of our house,anyone already doing this or researched best company! i think we would have made a fortune so far this year selling back sunshine gold to the electric companies:rolleyes:

We had a 2.2kW system (x12 Sharp panels) installed by the Marc Group, Leicester approx 5.5 months ago, it cost about £8.6k + £200 for an extended (20yr) warranty on the Fronius inverter. They've done other eco energy stuff for us including an air source heat pump (Mitsubuishi).

As of today we've been paid/are owed £294.62 on the feed in tariffs and have "saved" £75.62 on electricity we haven't had to buy - ie a total £370.24 over winter and early-mid spring. We estimated generating/saving approx £900pa so it looks OK for that atm, ask me again around Christmas. You won't get the same feed-in tariffs now though - we're currently on 43.3p/kWh for generation tariff and 46.4p/kWh export tariff (it's split 50:50 generation:export).

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We got them fitted in October and in the last quarter, earned £350 which more than covers both our electric and gas bills. However, we are on the old tariff which earns 45.4p per kw generated and a further 3.2p on 50% if wgat us generated. The new tariff I believe is currently 21p for domestic systems upto 4kw with the export tariff being 3.2p. Personally, I love them. The amount of electricity we purchase, has gone down as we now use washing machines, dishwashers etc during the day when the electricity is free. I am looking forward to the longer sunshine hours of the next 5 months. By the way, we chose to purchase the panels rather than have them installed free where I believe the generating earnings then go to the company fitting them.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
mistake. the technology will be outdated within a matter of years. the current tech loses efficiency over time meaning you'll be generating less electricity as every year passes. plus they're hideous.

As with anything, technology moves forward so not sure why that is pertinent. Also, everything loses efficiency over time. The loss of efficiency should be included in any calculations you are given anyway!!! As for their appearance, you think they are hideous, many others don't, it's a matter of opinion. In my view, a horizon of rooves covered in different materials with a plethora of sat dishes, aerials and god knows what is worse.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I think Solar panels look rather good actually, plus I think the stadium should have them on the roof.

As with anything, technology moves forward so not sure why that is pertinent. Also, everything loses efficiency over time. The loss of efficiency should be included in any calculations you are given anyway!!! As for their appearance, you think they are hideous, many others don't, it's a matter of opinion. In my view, a horizon of rooves covered in different materials with a plethora of sat dishes, aerials and god knows what is worse.

1) Yep, factor in the efficiency loss; and ours get replaced by Sharp if they fall below 90% over the 25 year warranty period.
2) Visually, they're not everyone's choice but then neither's a timber framed box put up by Barrett etc. Ours are located on a detached garage and aren't visible from the road/lane unless you're in a tractor or lorry. We wouldn't have put them on the main house.

robbobhafc

Aug 17, 2006
littlehampton
Prices Have fallen and continue to 4kw installs now around 8k, I would say if your going to do it move before the July 3rd cut off

I work in the industry but I am not a installer any questions let me know, only advice would be go for a local installer some on the nationals are making huge margins

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
1) Yep, factor in the efficiency loss; and ours get replaced by Sharp if they fall below 90% over the 25 year warranty period.

Interested to know if you have this as as a written guarantee. If so does it include:

1. The cost of initial inspection to prove the loss of efficiency of a panel.
2. The supply of a new panel.
3. The cost of removing the old panel and installing its replacement including scaffolding.

From my investigations into the nuts and bolts of how corporate bodies like Sharp handle a claim for loss of efficiency, particularly from year 10 to 25, the promises are just empty salesman's talk.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Prices Have fallen and continue to 4kw installs now around 8k, I would say if your going to do it move before the July 3rd cut off

I work in the industry but I am not a installer any questions let me know, only advice would be go for a local installer some on the nationals are making huge margins

Agreed - just had ours installed, and the cost is much lower than it used to be. The recent reduction in FITs is actually fair enough (though handled terribly by the Government): it means you're likely to be looking at an investment that pays back at something like 6-8%, which is good if you can afford the installation cost in the first place).

As for sources of info:

moneysavingexpert.com was not bad for an overview (but don't even think about the 'renting roof space' option they discuss - it's a rubbish idea).
Evoenergy is installer of the year and they were v good, though we didn't use them in the end.
Our install was done by EOS energy, an East Sussex company. Pretty good and they work with a good roofer on the installation, which is reassuring if you've got a good roof (we have new-ish slates so were pretty fussy).

You should definitely take the plunge now if you're ever going to, before the tariff goes down. But bear in mind that to qualify, you'll need to be living in a house with an rating of D or better, so get a Energy Performance Certificate before you spend any money. You can find EPC surveyors via directgov

And ours are really discreet by the way, whatever [MENTION=7]Mustafa Kemal[/MENTION] says.

Interested to know if you have this as as a written guarantee. If so does it include:

1. The cost of initial inspection to prove the loss of efficiency of a panel.
2. The supply of a new panel.
3. The cost of removing the old panel and installing its replacement including scaffolding.

From my investigations into the nuts and bolts of how corporate bodies like Sharp handle a claim for loss of efficiency, particularly from year 10 to 25, the promises are just empty salesman's talk.

1) Sharp if it's faulty.
2) Sharp.
3) Sharp eventually, original installer will claim back from them. If they're no longer trading then Sharp/we agree someone.

I spoke with Sharp direct prior to signing the installaton contract with Marc Group.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We had a 2.2kW system (x12 Sharp panels) installed by the Marc Group, Leicester approx 5.5 months ago, it cost about £8.6k + £200 for an extended (20yr) warranty on the Fronius inverter. They've done other eco energy stuff for us including an air source heat pump (Mitsubuishi).

As of today we've been paid/are owed £294.62 on the feed in tariffs and have "saved" £75.62 on electricity we haven't had to buy - ie a total £370.24 over winter and early-mid spring. We estimated generating/saving approx £900pa so it looks OK for that atm, ask me again around Christmas. You won't get the same feed-in tariffs now though - we're currently on 43.3p/kWh for generation tariff and 46.4p/kWh export tariff (it's split 50:50 generation:export).

Think you might find your tariff went up on the 31st March to 45.4p for everything generated and an additional 3.2p on 50% that was generated. Easy way to calculate it is
47p on everything.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
1) Sharp if it's faulty.
2) Sharp.
3) Sharp eventually, original installer will claim back from them. If they're no longer trading then Sharp/we agree someone.

I spoke with Sharp direct prior to signing the installaton contract with Marc Group.

Well if you have that in writing thats very good. I have made a note of the installers. :thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
There are rumours that the July FIT of 17p will be cut again (down to around 11p) for installations made in 2013.

Think you might find your tariff went up on the 31st March to 45.4p for everything generated and an additional 3.2p on 50% that was generated. Easy way to calculate it is
47p on everything.

I missed this, our charging quarter is late Feb-May so I haven't submitted a reading yet this month. More pies in August then.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
A house on the Hassocks side of Hurstpierpoint has its front-facing roof covered in them. I don't know what they're saving in energy bills but a local estate agent told me that as things stand they've wiped £50k off the value of their house. Puts the economics of it into perspective.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A house on the Hassocks side of Hurstpierpoint has its front-facing roof covered in them. I don't know what they're saving in energy bills but a local estate agent told me that as things stand they've wiped £50k off the value of their house. Puts the economics of it into perspective.

a) thats assuming they care about the value and b) assumes buyers wouldnt be interested in free electricity and several hundred £ a year back. to put it into perspective, that estate agent doesnt like them and is blabbing his mouth off. really who would actually care as much as £50k when to remove would only cost a few hundred pounds?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Was rather dubious of the benefits of solar PV but did a lot of research and eventually had a 10 panel 2.4kw Panasonic system installed last December, costing £8.6k, although this also included an upgrade of our fuseboard. We came to the conclusion that to do nothing while utility costs are spiralling 'was not an option'.

If it helps your deliberations the figures in the first quarter as well as generating over 300kwh electricity gave us a £150 FIT payment. Plus we are waiting for the the first electricity bill to see how much our normal bill has reduced by. So far in the second quarter we are already another 500 kwh up, and inspite of the naff weather too. It is noticeable just how much faster it generates as the days got longer and the sun is higher in the sky. Watching the read outs on the little bluetooth monitor is addictive as the year progresses. I conservatively estimate that over 12 months we will generate at least 1600 kwh and around £750 FIT income. If we ever get a proper summer and autumn it should be even better than that. So the pay back will be around 10 years and quite possibly less. May even cover a replacement inverter if we are unlucky to need one.

I have to say the installer we selected was excellent not only with the installation but also the comprehensive paperwork and EON (our FIT provider) have been spot on too.

When seeking quotes I would recommend avoiding installers who send an expensive salesman along for an initial visit as this is a waste of your time and will add his fee to the quote. Only go for installers who sends a technically qualified surveyor to give you a proper written costed spec.. Apart from having the right accreditations I would strongly recommend going for an installer with a strong portfolio of past local installations and testimonials from customers. Our installer actually provided examples for us to go and inspect.

Finally we have become accustomed to having the PV panels on the roof, they are not a thing of beauty but being tucked between dormers are fairly discrete without the performance being impaired. I would seriously think about other forms of energy generation such as solar thermal or air source heating, especially if the Govt finds the money to create financial incentives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here