Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Solar Panels

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Anybody has these fitted? I know its close (possibly past) the deadline for the higher feed in tariffs but a few houses round here have had them put up very recently. Interested to know what the financial outlay versus benefits looks like from somebody who has had it done.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Gave it a miss for a large number of reasons.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
my mum & Dad had them fitted, apart from making the house look bloody ugly, they have saved them about 40% off of their bills

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
we had them fitted back in September so far so good

Did you pay for them or have you effectively rented out your roof and pass the FIT to the panel supplier? Seems to me this only works if you plan to be in your property for a while.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it cost about 10k for a viable system, and they wont be viable if they half the Feed in Tariff. if you work it out the savings over the life time arent great compared to cash with compounded interest or shares with divi reinvested.

im aiming to get a few panels and deep cylce batteries for a couple of grand, then run a few things around the house off that, to get the lower cost over time. the grid inverters and the MCS approved chap to install/connect to the grid is what really costs alot, the panels are £3-400 for 120-220W each

Chinster

Aug 7, 2011
I fit them for a living,
Tariff changes on the 12th December hence why you can see so many going up.
The tariff will drop to 21p per Kw generated.However we can still offer about an 8% return on your money with the new tariff.
Its all down to how much you have to pay out to get it installed in the first place. Some companies are charging far too much. On the old tariff some of our installs were seeing a return of 16% on investment. Try getting that from any bank.....
Panels are guaranteed for the life of the scheme so theres no risk involved either.
If you want to know more PM me

Paul

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bit of a fad really, like water purifiers or them fish that nibble your feet and everybody else's feet. Fair enough if you live somewhere that the sun always shines, but recall reading somewhere that the payback time for solar panels is something like 15 years. Nice bit of business for the company that flogs you them, but beyond that you'd probably be as well off rigging up yer hamster's wheel to generate a bit of lecky. IMHO, like.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
From what I have read (after getting a stroppy cow ring me who couldn't believe I said no) there are far more cons than pros - oh and don't believe the "investment" rubbish - you cannot get a return as you have spent your cash and will never see your capital again as it is a wasting asset. At the point of time your savings are higher than your initial cost, you will have to get them re-installed.

It could also make it far more difficult to sell your home

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
we've had them for a number of years for hot water and we are very pleased with them. I wouldn't touch the electricity ones though if you want to sell your house in the future unless you buy the kit outright.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bit of a fad really, like water purifiers or them fish that nibble your feet and everybody else's feet. Fair enough if you live somewhere that the sun always shines, but recall reading somewhere that the payback time for solar panels is something like 15 years. Nice bit of business for the company that flogs you them, but beyond that you'd probably be as well off rigging up yer hamster's wheel to generate a bit of lecky. IMHO, like.

Well we've had them fitted and I believe sunny Burgess Hill should see them pay for themselves in maybe under 6 years. Not sure where you got a figure of 15 years for a payback.

From what I have read (after getting a stroppy cow ring me who couldn't believe I said no) there are far more cons than pros - oh and don't believe the "investment" rubbish - you cannot get a return as you have spent your cash and will never see your capital again as it is a wasting asset. At the point of time your savings are higher than your initial cost, you will have to get them re-installed.

It could also make it far more difficult to sell your home

Where have you got your info from. It's an investment because you get paid for every bit of electricity you generate plus another payment for 50% of everything you produce. We have had them installed for just over a month and according to the inverter display, the yield is about £130 and that is over a period when there isn't as much daylight as it will be in the summer months. If it has paid for itself after 5/6 years then you start to make more money upto the end of the 25 year contract. According to the figures quoted to us, over 25 years the system should generate savings/income of £50k. And where have you come up with the equipment doesn't last that long.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
if you are in england forget about it.

if you run washing machine, dryer, power tools (high wattage) forget about it.

if in southern europe and running under 400watt items - blender, laptops, lights, household devices.....then get on it.

i know ppl who spent thousands on a system, and others that spent under a grand and have great little systems.

the scam in the uk is you give your power to the corporations and then they give you a discount - they must be laughing.

generation x

its in the blood
Nov 24, 2007
Putting aside the fact that it will make your house look shit, the key is payback. Be very wary of generation figure claims from providers. The reduced feed-in tarrif date has effectively killed the industry outside of domestic. If you are seriously considering it you need an assessment of the condition of the roof you're fitting it to. Also consider the maintenance of the panels, ease of cleaning etc & that PV panels efficiency drops with time. From me, it's a no.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
They were a decent choice but already what you receive has been reduced and will no doubt continue,would steer clear of them now.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
OK - thanks all. Very helpful. Key for me is that we don't expect to be in this house for much longer as the kids start to move out so I think I'll pass.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Putting aside the fact that it will make your house look shit, the key is payback. Be very wary of generation figure claims from providers. The reduced feed-in tarrif date has effectively killed the industry outside of domestic. If you are seriously considering it you need an assessment of the condition of the roof you're fitting it to. Also consider the maintenance of the panels, ease of cleaning etc & that PV panels efficiency drops with time. From me, it's a no.

Generation claims should all be the same as they have to quote a standard rate of 'sunshine' hours and should include reduced output over time due to the efficiency drops. Having said that, the government have stabbed the industry in the back with no warning (Pearl Harbouresque) by halving the tarriff and in effect doubling the payback time. Thank god we got in last month.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here