Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Solar Panels

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Just wondered if anyone had the PH ones fitted? It seems there is now a feed in tariff (FIT) guaranteed by the government that makes the high initial cost justifyable becuase of the returns.......

have a look at moneysavingexpert.com he gives all the info on there

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Isn't Uncle Spielberg the guy you should be talking to ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ive looked into this as a definate investment once i move. official site info (at least i think its official) and a rather useful forum on all home energy matters, from supplier Navitron.

in short you'll get 41p a kWh for 25 years. one downside is you have to have it fitted by a MCS approved fitter to qualify and the prices then go up. Im looking at seeing if you can fit a small ~£4-5k system then add panels latter, or find a local fitter who'll do it for alot less than big boys. Tesco do a 2.1 KW setup for £10k but you can get the kit from Navitron for ~£7500. Tesco reckon you'll make £19k profit over the 25 years, depending on cost you normally break even after 8-10 years i think.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What they don't tell you is they haven't allowed for the income you would have made had you invested that capital elsewhere.

thats good point. but i dont know where you can get 7-10% fixed, which is about the same return. plus you dont get to feel warm and fuzzy saving the planet.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
It is without doubt one of the safest investments you could possibly make with a return that is going to beat any long term savings / pension plans as well as many investment funds. Get on this while you still can because it won't be guaranteed forever as much of the funding to guarantee the returns are from EU funds I believe.
Spain had a similar deal which is no longer on offer so I am basing my assumptions on this.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It is without doubt one of the safest investments you could possibly make with a return that is going to beat any long term savings / pension plans as well as many investment funds. Get on this while you still can because it won't be guaranteed forever as much of the funding to guarantee the returns are from EU funds I believe.
Spain had a similar deal which is no longer on offer so I am basing my assumptions on this.

I read on it last week - but given my memory, I don't recall all the details, but there is a fixed timescale on the government guarantee on returns.

Thanks for the replies - I know its not exactly (well not at all) BHA, but you seem a decent bunch here.

Yeah the government money of 41p per KWH is GTD and inflation proof for 25 years, as long as you get them fitted before April 2012. I am happy with the scheme, just wondered if anyone else has taken the plunge.

Im not talking about the Free ones (where the fitting company get to keep the 41p's and supply the panel at no charge), Im talking about spending c£10k myself as an investment, and also being kind to the planet

Synical Sid

Jul 24, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
The Solar PV Panels (electricity generating) are the only solar panels at the moment that can benefit from the Government Feed-in-Tariff (Fits). Next year, this will expand to Solar Thermal (hot water) panels that will be able to receive money from a similar scheme called Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI), but not as much as for the PV panels.

This certainly isn’t a fad, Germany have had it for over 10 years and over 60 countries worldwide operate a similar scheme, the UK was one of the last.

In the recent spending review the Government announced that the Solar PV Feed-in Tariff scheme will remain at current levels until 2012 and then be reduced by 9% for new entrants to the Scheme, as planned. A review of the scheme, already scheduled to take place in 2012, will set out Tariff rates for 2013 and beyond.

However, the "higher than expected deployment" may lead to the 2013 review taking place earlier. This will mean that if thousands of people decided to install solar panels over the next year, the rate could be cut much earlier than 31 March 2012.

The rate of 41.3p/kWh (for retro fitted panels) is set for new entrants to the scheme joining before April 2012, after that date, new entrants will receive a lower amount.

To secure the best feed-in tariff rates, you should act sooner rather than later.

On the market at the moment, there are numerous companies that offer Solar PV panels, I am sure that if you got 3 quotes you will find that they would differ quite considerably, might be an idea to get some offers.

If you do, PM me as I would like the chance to be the company that provides a fourth quote.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Has anyone looked into the companies that install for free, you get the usage but they get the income from the surplus?.

I did but the place I'm buying is three stories so they are not interested.

Sid, Just sent you a PM.

Yes, I looked into the Free ones.

There are loads doing this. Much better if you can buy as they get the FIT's (the 41p's) for 25 years.

You just get the free leccy, which for an average system is unliekly to much more than £100pa initially.

so, all their gear on your roof for less than a tenner a month - no thanks.

Basically, they are renting your roof for a tenner!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here