Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Soccer Saturday

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
Well then surely you know that their analysis is pretty lazy, because they focus on having that laddish banter over being super analytical. Which is fine, I prefer that myself, it's what made the show so good. However, it's hard to be a bunch of mates down the pub having a chat about the football and be clued up experts taking deep dives into the match. So when you start asking for an example of their punditry being lazy you just look like you're talking out your arse about something you've never seen.

You also can't say you prefer to listen to blokes who have played the game, whilst slagging off Michah Richards; who has a Premier League winners medal and numerous caps for England. What you clearly mean to say is you want to listen to white men who have played the game because you feel their opinion is more valid.

When did I?? Can you provide some quotes? Thanks so much.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Avidly watch it. I loved the laddish banter of it all, I can really identify with Charlie, Le Tiss etc, not sure I'll be able to with Sue Smith and Alex Scott and that other little sort (who waved the racism card to get a sackful of money from the FA). Prefer to listen to blokes who have played the game. Feel their opinions are more valid.

So you- presumably a white male- feel you can "really identify" with these other white males and are not sure you'll be able to cope with some of these "women", especially the ones from ethnic minorities, have I got that right?

How do you think female viewers have coped over the years? Why is it acceptable for me- a woman, in case that wasn't obvious- to have to watch wall-to-wall old white men, but not for you to have to endure a woman on your screen? Or, god forbid, somebody from a different ethnic background? Do the opinions of humans who aren't white males not count?

As a white male in this country, you will have been represented in mainstream media, in government and in other positions of power throughout your entire life, without it ever even occurring to you that it was the case. You have no idea: no idea whatsoever, how important representation is, because you've never ever had to worry about being on the margins.

Now two or three women might appear on a football show and you're crapping it because you think your views are being pushed out. Have you any idea how pathetic that sounds?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So you- presumably a white male- feel you can "really identify" with these other white males and are not sure you'll be able to cope with some of these "women", especially the ones from ethnic minorities, have I got that right?

How do you think female viewers have coped over the years? Why is it acceptable for me- a woman, in case that wasn't obvious- to have to watch wall-to-wall old white men, but not for you to have to endure a woman on your screen? Or, god forbid, somebody from a different ethnic background? Do the opinions of humans who aren't white males not count?

As a white male in this country, you will have been represented in mainstream media, in government and in other positions of power throughout your entire life, without it ever even occurring to you that it was the case. You have no idea: no idea whatsoever, how important representation is, because you've never ever had to worry about being on the margins.

Now two or three women might appear on a football show and you're crapping it because you think your views are being pushed out. Have you any idea how pathetic that sounds?

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I reckon you might have some valid points there....

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Some of the outrage over this by people who shout snowflake and call people woke is quite something. The people going have had a great innings but they are behind the times. They have dialled it in for years. It does my head in that they don’t know many of the player’s names, is doing research that hard?

Hopefully the new people understand modern football and don’t treat all teams passing from the back with suspicion. So that is Souness out.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
When did I?? Can you provide some quotes? Thanks so much.

Your constant posts implying people hold him to a different standard than other pundits is a bit of a clue.

If you're going to dismiss a bundit just because he's black then at least have the bollocks to just say it, rather than this wishy-washy bollocks

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Some of the outrage over this by people who shout snowflake and call people woke is quite something. The people going have had a great innings but they are behind the times. They have dialled it in for years. It does my head in that they don’t know many of the player’s names, is doing research that hard?

Hopefully the new people understand modern football and don’t treat all teams passing from the back with suspicion. So that is Souness out.

Nice one

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Isn't that called 'punditory' ? I bet if Alex Scott and Micah Richards expressed the same views about Newcastle and Brighton you wouldn't call it 'laziness'

It's so amusing it's suddenly the 'in' thing to say 'wow Micah Richards is brilliant' .

Yes I ****ing would. To reiterate... I don’t give a flying **** about the colour of someone’s skin or their gender when offering football punditry. What I want is well researched punditry. That can still be funny/blokeish/laddish.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Soccer Saturday’s USP is Jeff Stelling and the chemistry he creates between the pundits. Watch the show when it’s his replacement (Jules?) and the usual pundits who have just been sacked and it’s no where near as good.

You could put Stelling with any bunch of pundits and eventually he will build a strong camaraderie between the group which makes good TV.

It will be interesting to see if they stick to the same formula (banter, long-running jokes, half-arsed reporting) or try and get people in who can actually report back intelligently on the game they’re covering.

FWIW, the best reporters on the show are the actual journalists who are based at stadiums - Dickie Davies, for example.

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020

Correct I identify most easily with white males my own age. Thats who i gravitate towards as friends. I 'cope' very easily with females from ethnic minorities, one of my closest friends who has helped me through a recent traumatic experience is a Malaysian female.

Don't know how females have coped down the years. My female friends and colleagues seem fine to me.

Correct I've never had to worry, so sorry to be born a white male, my sincere apologies to you.

When did I say I was 'crapping it' ?? I'm not I'm just not interested in the views of a female on a male football show.

You my sweet are so far up ya own a*se it's unreal, perhaps you'll be the next Cressida Dick, ya know ya colleague who presided over the shooting of the innocent brazilian at the stockwell tube, wonder how she got the gig of head of the Met? Tick box maybe? I can imagine you tick the same box my lovely so you'll be in with a major chance.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I probably be in the minority here, but if there was a big game involving 2 women teams that was on TV, it wouldn't bother me if there was no male commentator or guests in the studio.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Correct I identify most easily with white males my own age. Thats who i gravitate towards as friends. I 'cope' very easily with females from ethnic minorities, one of my closest friends who has helped me through a recent traumatic experience is a Malaysian female.

Don't know how females have coped down the years. My female friends and colleagues seem fine to me.

Correct I've never had to worry, so sorry to be born a white male, my sincere apologies to you.

When did I say I was 'crapping it' ?? I'm not I'm just not interested in the views of a female on a male football show.

You my sweet are so far up ya own a*se it's unreal, perhaps you'll be the next Cressida Dick, ya know ya colleague who presided over the shooting of the innocent brazilian at the stockwell tube, wonder how she got the gig of head of the Met? Tick box maybe? I can imagine you tick the same box my lovely so you'll be in with a major chance.

Ahh, brilliant: resorting to patronising to make your point.

This is what I'm getting at really. You're so blissfully used to seeing all the people in positions of control/ power/ influence being ones who look like you, that it presses your buttons when the merest suggestion of change emerges, and you have nothing left but to throw a few condescending asides around because it makes you feel like you have power over me. You assume a woman who gets a high powered job must be there because she ticks a box. I bet you've whimpered somewhere about the new Chief Constable of Sussex being a woman too...bloody tokenism eh? Stopping all these poor deserving men getting the gig.

Incidentally, there have been twenty eight commissioners in the Met's history. Do you think the twenty seven of them who had penises were all appointed on sheer merit? :lolol:

PS: I must have missed the part of the title where it said it was a "male football show". Have they renamed it The Lads Lads Lads Soccer Saturday For Big Butch Blokes Show now or something?

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Soccer Saturday’s USP is Jeff Stelling and the chemistry he creates between the pundits. Watch the show when it’s his replacement (Jules?) and the usual pundits who have just been sacked and it’s no where near as good.

My great mate The Lego Stand will despise Jeff Stelling though. He likes his football chat ONLY from blokes who have played the game.

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
Ahh, brilliant: resorting to patronising to make your point.

This is what I'm getting at really. You're so blissfully used to seeing all the people in positions of control/ power/ influence being ones who look like you, that it presses your buttons when the merest suggestion of change emerges, and you have nothing left but to throw a few condescending asides around because it makes you feel like you have power over me. You assume a woman who gets a high powered job must be there because she ticks a box. I bet you've whimpered somewhere about the new Chief Constable of Sussex being a woman too...bloody tokenism eh? Stopping all these poor deserving men getting the gig.

Incidentally, there have been twenty eight commissioners in the Met's history. Do you think the twenty seven of them who had penises were all appointed on sheer merit? :lolol:

Think you over thinking. I just want to see male ex pro footballers on soccer saturday / Super Sunday / MNF. Correct I don't want change. I don't want women on men's football shows. Gosh how dare I.

Don't want any power over you or anyone come to that. Cressida Dick is an absolute box ticker, she presided over one of the biggest disasters in the history of the MET., she shouldn't have got anywhere near the gig. Correct the CC of Sussex will be a tokenism appointment, a hetrosexual white guy wouldn't have got anywhere near getting that job. BTW sweetheart I don't 'whimper'.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

‘My sweet’? ‘My lovely’?

Nah, thanks.

Have a break.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Think you over thinking. I just want to see male ex pro footballers on soccer saturday / Super Sunday / MNF. Correct I don't want change. I don't want women on men's football shows. Gosh how dare I.

Don't want any power over you or anyone come to that. Cressida Dick is an absolute box ticker, she presided over one of the biggest disasters in the history of the MET., she shouldn't have got anywhere near the gig. Correct the CC of Sussex will be a tokenism appointment, a hetrosexual white guy wouldn't have got anywhere near getting that job. BTW sweetheart I don't 'whimper'.

It's a football show, not a men's football show, you whopper.

And of course you want power over me. You want to feel you're winning this debate because that matters to you: in your mind, you can't be seen to lose a debate to a mere bird. That's why you're calling me "sweetheart". Because in your way of thinking, it's like a gentle pat on the head. It's you trying to make it look like you're in charge of the debate, a sort of benevolent "there there love" in the hope that other people see it and chuckle and think you're hilariously humouring the little woman with your incredible manly wit and knowledge. Pretty misogynistic really, as you wouldn't call a male poster that, unless you were (similarly) trying to demean them in a casually homophobic way.

Basic psychology. Fortunately, most of the male posters on here aren't quite so insecure. I should think some of them are frankly quite embarrassed to be associated (by virtue of their gender) with the sort of things you come out with.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I feel like each of the lego stand's post in this thread has this undertone of "I dare you to ban me, so I can then claim deplatforming and political correctness, and such"

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I feel like each of the lego stand's post in this thread has this undertone of "I dare you to ban me, so I can then claim deplatforming and political correctness, and such"

To be fair, it's probably my fault for failing to notice this is a men's football board, just like Soccer Saturday is a men's football show.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here