Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Soccer Saturday

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Great that Sky is moving with the times. Around 35% of Premier League players are BAME. Women's football has seen exponential growth in the last few years. Sticking with tired, middle aged white men as pundits is a complete anachronism. I can imagine that quite a few on here who are bemoaning these changes will have been equally uneasy about the growth in BAME representation on the field 20 years ago. They probably think football's a "man's game". They could very likely be some of the people I hear at the Amex moaning whenever Sian Massey is running the line at home matches.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
IMG_20200829_123928.jpg

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
No point moaning too much until we see who they get in, but I would say given Jeffs recent statement Sky didn't handle it very well. Soccer Saturday will be dead on arrival if Jeff leaves. Whether his replacement is black, white, asian, female, male, trans, doesn't matter. Soccer Saturday abruptly losing Jeff Stelling is a dead show. The difference between him and any replacement is STARK, as we see every midweek show or whenever he isn't on it. Le Tiss, Merson, Thompson etc. are not the same without him. He is the show.

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020

It is a sorry state when two white male laddish guys get sacked in the name of diversity and inclusion. Micah Richards could speak in Chinese saying Port Vale will win the champions league and the woke brigade will laud him as an 'insightful pundit'.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
It is a sorry state when two white male laddish guys get sacked in the name of diversity and inclusion. Micah Richards could speak in Chinese saying Port Vale will win the champions league and the woke brigade will laud him as an 'insightful pundit'.

If the white male laddish guys had a bit more knowledge about teams other than the usual suspects (and Saints) and could actually speak with some authority while having a laugh about other clubs then they might not have got sacked off. It's just ****ing lazy.

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
If the white male laddish guys had a bit more knowledge about teams other than the usual suspects (and Saints) and could actually speak with some authority while having a laugh about other clubs then they might not have got sacked off. It's just ****ing lazy.

No it's not it's racism and sexism. If Alex Scott, Sue Smith and Micah Richards said word for word what Charlie Nicholas and Le Tiss said they would be lauded. They just aren't fashionable are they, middle aged, white, laddie males.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
No it's not it's racism and sexism. If Alex Scott, Sue Smith and Micah Richards said word for word what Charlie Nicholas and Le Tiss said they would be lauded. They just aren't fashionable are they, middle aged, white, laddie males.

It might be in - your opinion. My point is that Saturday Soccer pundits (whatever the look and feel of the show) are so incredibly ****ing lazy with their analysis it beggars belief. BUT they're not the only ones. I just want some ex-professionals, whatever their colour or sex, to be able to say, for e.g., that BHA have been building towards their current status following a ten year plan set out by their fan-obsessed owner - who also happens to be a billionaire with generational attachment to the club. It's not that hard for a professional pundit to do the hard yards and research (at the very least) ever Premier League club and their recent history.

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
It might be in - your opinion. My point is that Saturday Soccer pundits (whatever the look and feel of the show) are so incredibly ****ing lazy with their analysis it beggars belief. BUT they're not the only ones. I just want some ex-professionals, whatever their colour or sex, to be able to say, for e.g., that BHA have been building towards their current status following a ten year plan set out by their fan-obsessed owner - who also happens to be a billionaire with generational attachment to the club. It's not that hard for a professional pundit to do the hard yards and research (at the very least) ever Premier League club and their recent history.

Have you some examples of this 'f**cking laziness' ?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Have you some examples of this 'f**cking laziness' ?

The forum and twitter storm that happens every week when the panel continually talk up Steve Bruce's performance as Newcastle manager.

The storm in my head when Brighton are mentioned in throwaway platitudes - especially when we're playing the usual suspects.

And, to be clear, this is not just a problem with the Soccer Saturday panel.

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
The forum and twitter storm that happens every week when the panel continually talk up Steve Bruce's performance as Newcastle manager.

The storm in my head when Brighton are mentioned in throwaway platitudes - especially when we're playing the usual suspects.

And, to be clear, this is not just a problem with the Soccer Saturday panel.

Isn't that called 'punditory' ? I bet if Alex Scott and Micah Richards expressed the same views about Newcastle and Brighton you wouldn't call it 'laziness'

It's so amusing it's suddenly the 'in' thing to say 'wow Micah Richards is brilliant' .

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
Have you ever actually watched Soccer Saturday or are you just having a temper tantrum for the sake of it?

Avidly watch it. I loved the laddish banter of it all, I can really identify with Charlie, Le Tiss etc, not sure I'll be able to with Sue Smith and Alex Scott and that other little sort (who waved the racism card to get a sackful of money from the FA). Prefer to listen to blokes who have played the game. Feel their opinions are more valid.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Avidly watch it. I loved the laddish banter of it all, I can really identify with Charlie, Le Tiss etc, not sure I'll be able to with Sue Smith and Alex Scott and that other little sort (who waved the racism card to get a sackful of money from the FA). Prefer to listen to blokes who have played the game. Feel their opinions are more valid.

Well then surely you know that their analysis is pretty lazy, because they focus on having that laddish banter over being super analytical. Which is fine, I prefer that myself, it's what made the show so good. However, it's hard to be a bunch of mates down the pub having a chat about the football and be clued up experts taking deep dives into the match. So when you start asking for an example of their punditry being lazy you just look like you're talking out your arse about something you've never seen.

You also can't say you prefer to listen to blokes who have played the game, whilst slagging off Michah Richards; who has a Premier League winners medal and numerous caps for England. What you clearly mean to say is you want to listen to white men who have played the game because you feel their opinion is more valid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here