Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Soccer Saturday

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
And you know that how?

And even if that WAS the case, what's the problem?

Was waiting for a smart a**e 'how do you know' comment. Course I don't know for sure.

The problem for me is twofold:

I don't want woman pundits on a men's football show, they've not played the game to a high standard, therefor their opinion is not valid. Let me them be pundits on the park football that is women's football.

Jobs shouldn't be handed out based on race and gender, it should go to the best qualified person (although for a men's football programme woman should be excluded).

Awaits the woke brigade...................

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Was waiting for a smart a**e 'how do you know' comment. Course I don't know for sure.

The problem for me is twofold:

I don't want woman pundits on a men's football show, they've not played the game to a high standard, therefor their opinion is not valid. Let me them be pundits on the park football that is women's football.

Jobs shouldn't be handed out based on race and gender, it should go to the best qualified person (although for a men's football programme woman should be excluded).

Awaits the woke brigade...................

You don't know, but you're banging on like you DO know. That's the problem.

You're creating your own little bubble of fear that black and or female people might not be as good as the white middle-aged men are. That's weird.

I'll leave you to your assumptions :lolol:

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
So only top level male players can have an opinion on football? Which elite club did you play for?

Anyone can have an opinion on football, but on men's professional football shows I only want to hear the opinions of those who have played the game to that level.

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
You don't know, but you're banging on like you DO know. That's the problem.

You're creating your own little bubble of fear that black and or female people might not be as good as the white middle-aged men are. That's weird.

I'll leave you to your assumptions :lolol:

One post is hardly 'banging on' is it?? Also based on what I read on Jeff Stelling's book 'Jelleyman throws a wobbly' he said those on soccer saturday are 'invited' to be on the show he didn't allude to an' interview process'.

In your desperation to be woke I think you are overthinking things, I have no 'bubble of fear' I said jobs on the show shouldn't be awarded based on skin colour they should go in my opinion to the best ex male professional football who has played the game to preferably to PL standard couldn't care less on their skin colour.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In your desperation to be woke I think you are overthinking things, I have no 'bubble of fear' I said jobs on the show shouldn't be awarded based on skin colour they should go in my opinion to the best ex male professional football who has played the game to preferably to PL standard couldn't care less on their skin colour.

Charlie Nicholas last played at the highest level in the 80s (30-40 years ago) can you really argue he is the best person there is out there to give his opinion on the modern game?

Le Tissier last proper full season at the top level was 1998-1999. We weren't even at Withdean then :hilton:

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
Charlie Nicholas last played at the highest level in the 80s (30-40 years ago) can you really argue he is the best person there is out there to give his opinion on the modern game?

Le Tissier last proper full season at the top level was 1998-1999. We weren't even at Withdean then :hilton:

I would prefer to hear Charlie Nicholas and Le Tissier's opinion on the game than a female who retired from the game today. You can overthink and over analyse all you like and accuse me of all sorts but that's my opinion. Not saying I'm right it's just what I believe.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I would prefer to hear Charlie Nicholas and Le Tissier's opinion on the game than a female who retired from the game today. You can overthink and over analyse all you like and accuse me of all sorts but that's my opinion. Not saying I'm right it's just what I believe.

Here's the bit I don't get Nicholas, Thompson or Le Tinfoil don't give opinions, they just describe what's going on, on the telly in front of them often very, very badly. Nicholas often uses the old trick of "The Number 6" as he is clueless as to who has actually touched the ball, Thompson just shouts for attention and Le Tissier is probably looking on youtube watching Men In Black and thinking it is a documentary. I really don't get why we need an ex pro to say 'Man Utd are playing well and are well worth their 1-0 lead Jeff' If you are watching Soccer Saturday to get insight into why Burnleys half time sub has caused more of threat down the left than the first 45 or why West Ham are being overrun in midfield, I'd suggest you are watching the wrong program. It's blokey bantz for the punter whose acca has gone down the shitter. I've no problem if people want to watch that or Sky want to put it on and I've sat down and watched it enough times myself. I just don't get the argument it needs to be 3 ex pros to state the obvious.

Carragher and Neville have undoubtedly upped the ante with their insight and have big game experience to back it up but what have these 3 oiks ever added in the tactical side of life to make their opinion worth listening to? I will miss them as much as I miss Covid when it goes.

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
Here's the bit I don't get Nicholas, Thompson or Le Tinfoil don't give opinions, they just describe what's going on, on the telly in front of them often very, very badly. Nicholas often uses the old trick of "The Number 6" as he is clueless as to who has actually touched the ball, Thompson just shouts for attention and Le Tissier is probably looking on youtube watching Men In Black and thinking it is a documentary. I really don't get why we need an ex pro to say 'Man Utd are playing well and are well worth their 1-0 lead Jeff' If you are watching Soccer Saturday to get insight into why Burnleys half time sub has caused more of threat down the left than the first 45 or why West Ham are being overrun in midfield, I'd suggest you are watching the wrong program. It's blokey bantz for the punter whose acca has gone down the shitter. I've no problem if people want to watch that or Sky want to put it on and I've sat down and watched it enough times myself. I just don't get the argument it needs to be 3 ex pros to state the obvious.

Carragher and Neville have undoubtedly upped the ante with their insight and have big game experience to back it up but what have these 3 oiks ever added in the tactical side of life to make their opinion worth listening to? I will miss them as much as I miss Covid when it goes.

Yes they do, the programme starts at midday, from then until the matches start at 3 they discuss what's topical in football and give score predictions.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think people are missing the point, is Soccer Saturdays popularity because of the expert opinion the pundits are giving?? It's hardly cutting esdge analysis, but is that genuinely what everyone wants?? I get that with Neville and Carragher on MNF. I enjoy Soccer Saturday because of the genuine chemistry and fun between the pundits, none of them take themselves too seriously, Jeff happily takes the pee and they give it him back, it's as much entertainment as it is information about the games. Sadly I fear trying to now show horn in some BAME and female pundits to fill some quotas and tick some boxes the programme won't be as entertaining and fun as it has been. The proof of the pudding however is in the eating so I will await who replaces them and what the programme is like going forwards.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
With a win % of 36%. If he had been manager the full season, they would have finished 11th with that Win %.

Stats can be misleading, he was appointed with a fair amount of the season to go and they got relegated under him. He was sacked by Watford and then Everton. I think Merson had a point. If some female BAME pundit has been critical of his appointment she would now be lauded for her insightful opinions,but from a white, middle aged male its ranting. Give me Paul Merson, Charlie Nicholas, Le Tiss all day long over a female pundit.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Stats can be misleading, he was appointed with a fair amount of the season to go and they got relegated under him. He was sacked by Watford and then Everton. I think Merson had a point. If some female BAME pundit has been critical of his appointment she would now be lauded for her insightful opinions,but from a white, middle aged male its ranting. Give me Paul Merson, Charlie Nicholas, Le Tiss all day long over a female pundit.

Stats can be misleading? Sounds like an answer when someone doesn't like the fact they're presented with.

Anyway, it's quite clear that you have issues with women and BAME people, so I will leave you be.

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
Stats can be misleading? Sounds like an answer when someone doesn't like the fact they're presented with.

Anyway, it's quite clear that you have issues with women and BAME people, so I will leave you be.

The only fact is Hull were relegated under Marco Silva.

I love women. Have nothing about BAME people either. Just feel jobs in any sector should be given to the best person, it shouldn't be based on skin colour. The trouble with the times we live in if anyone dares utter a syllable of dissent you are called a racist.

I don't see what is so wrong with wanting pundits on soccer saturday / Super Sunday / MNF to have actually played to that standard. Why is the Grimsby Town right back never a guest on Super Sunday / MNF? The answer is not having played at that level his comments would lack credibility. If say he was to appear I'm sure there would be plenty of 'wtf' type posts on here.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Sky didn't renew Botham and Gower's contracts at the end of last season for their Cricket coverage so they do seem to want to refresh their presenters every once in a while. They also probably need to make some savings in the current climate.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Judging by Stellings tweet last night, he'll be joining his mates and quitting. Real blow if Jeff leaves, he's the absolute best at that job, nobody compares when they get a replacement in.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I'm going to stick my neck out here, but I quite like Morrison, he's grown on me a lot with much of his radio punditry. He's got a jovial way about him but is quite insightful times, and offers something a bit different. I can see why he is gaining more and more media work.

edit: I don't listen to Talksport so haven't heard him on there! :lolol:

It’s become apparent to me (across a few threads) that, were you and I to meet for a few cold drinks, I would spend the evening spitting beer all over myself and exclaiming... “what the fvcking hell are you talking about” and “you WHAT”.

Not a bad thing...but wasteful on the beer front.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It’s become apparent to me (across a few threads) that, were you and I to meet for a few cold drinks, I would spend the evening spitting beer all over myself and exclaiming... “what the fvcking hell are you talking about” and “you WHAT”.

Not a bad thing...but wasteful on the beer front.

Sounds like a good night!! :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here