Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Soccer Saturday

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Soccer Saturday has one of the best people on TV in Jeff Stelling and although I'm sad to see Tiss, Nicholas and Thompson get the chop the show should be good provided they bring in other presenters with a sense of humour.

I remember when they used to have Rod Marsh, George Best, Frank McLintock and Gordon McQueen from the 70s. The present crop are star from the late 80s and 90s and it is probably time for some new blood. If they want to go down the BAME/female route then I'd like to see Chris Kamara and Alex Scott come in. A panel of Stelling with Merson, Crouch, Kamara and Scott would be a good watch.

Crouch is a great shout. I’d like to see Jimmy Bullard in there too - would make it entertaining !

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We absolutely need diversity in on out TV screens.

But there are laws in place to prevent you from being sacked for your age, colour or gender. Quite right too, and they must work both ways.

Now we don't know for sure that's the reason they've been sacked. But I agree with whoever was saying, how would this look if it were three women or black people who were sacked, and it later transpired that was to give the role to white people?

I don't see why whey couldn't have kept them on and rotated them around. MOTD have different pundits on all the time.

Surely Sky will be bracing themselves for a massive payout for the sacked 3

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We absolutely need diversity in on out TV screens.

But there are laws in place to prevent you from being sacked for your age, colour or gender. Quite right too, and they must work both ways.

Now we don't know for sure that's the reason they've been sacked. But I agree with whoever was saying, how would this look if it were three women or black people who were sacked, and it later transpired that was to give the role to white people?

I don't see why whey couldn't have kept them on and rotated them around. MOTD have different pundits on all the time.

Surely Sky will be bracing themselves for a massive payout for the sacked 3

Doubt it. Will simply be a case of contracts not being renewed I suspect.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Neville and Carragher have really outed the lazy pundits and shown that you can be both insightful *and* entertaining.

For all the 'I got nothing against women as pundits, but they ain't never played top level football' arguments, I think what gets lost is a lot of the men commentating come from a time in football that was so different to the modern game they're not really providing the sort of insight that is any better than the women.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
A huge commercial broadcaster like Sky is only going to make changes to satisy two things:

1) Make money
2) Save money

And it's definately not going to pander to "political correctness", beyond making sure it doesn't break regulations or offend anybody.

Sky have much better audience research than most traditional broadcasters (because of the nature of delivery) and would have looked at this in great depth before making a decision.

They probably feel the programme has got a bit stale and the audience both in numbers and demographic is static. They will be looking to attract new viewers (possibly more women) which according to their spreadsheet will enable them to up the advertising rates.

They will also be looking at saving a ton on presenter fees, because less experienced ones will always be cheaper. Merson probably the lowest paid and keeps a connection with the past.

All about cash, nothing else.

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
A huge commercial broadcaster like Sky is only going to make changes to satisy two things:

1) Make money
2) Save money

And it's definately not going to pander to "political correctness", beyond making sure it doesn't break regulations or offend anybody.

Sky have much better audience research than most traditional broadcasters (because of the nature of delivery) and would have looked at this in great depth before making a decision.

They probably feel the programme has got a bit stale and the audience both in numbers and demographic is static. They will be looking to attract new viewers (possibly more women) which according to their spreadsheet will enable them to up the advertising rates.

They will also be looking at saving a ton on presenter fees, because less experienced ones will always be cheaper. Merson probably the lowest paid and keeps a connection with the past.

Sky has pledged £30m behind three commitments to support anti-racism and improve diversity and inclusion:

1. Improve Black and minority ethnic representation at all levels within Sky
2. Make a difference in communities impacted by racism
3. Use the power of Sky’s voice and platform to highlight racial injustice

We will use our voice for good because Black Lives Matter.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It'll be like Top Gear, never quite the same..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You say that the panel evolves, however my point here is that this isn't an example of 'natural' evolution, ergo people leaving their jobs either of their own accord or due to under-performance or misdemeanour. Had that been the case, I'd take no issue with this whatsoever.

It's the fact that they appear to have been simultaneously removed through no fault of their own (that I am aware of, do correct me if I am wrong) in order to facilitate an overnight balancing of racial and gender mix. That balancing act I have no problem with whatsoever, in fact I fully agree it's well overdue, I just think that rushing it through at the expense of people who have done no wrong sends out the wrong message. Two wrongs don't make a right.

You know that for a fact, do you? Because unless you do, it's an assumption that could turn out to be wrong.

Sky can decide who is on the panel and can, quite rightly, get rid of people at the end of their contract should they decide to. People are looking for a race or gender angle when, sometimes, it simply isn't there. For example, I don't remember seeing a seeing a similar outcry from football fans when Georgie Bingham was binned from the Talkshite breakfast show. Yes, there was lots of 'sorry to hear you're leaving' stuff, but no-one was OUTRAGED about the decision. Oh – and she's been replaced by a bloke. Work that one out :dunce:

It’s not being snowflakey.

Who do you think is going to replace them? Chances are it will be at least two women footballers no one has ever heard of.

'Men don't get contracts renewed on TV show and football fans up in arms because they might be replaced by black people or women'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's pretty snowflakey.

In answer to your question, I have no idea who replaces them and nor does anyone else, which makes the whole faux outrage ridiculous. But, whoever it is would be, I assume, qualified for the job, having been through a rigorous interview process and – regardless of race, colour, sexual orientation, or religion – have got the job on merit. If they turn out to be no good or it isn't working out, then they will be replaced, whoever they are :shrug:

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

1) Make money
2) Save money

Always with a eye to what BT Sport are doing, including their football studio panels.

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
You know that for a fact, do you? Because unless you do, it's an assumption that could turn out to be wrong.

Sky can decide who is on the panel and can, quite rightly, get rid of people at the end of their contract should they decide to. People are looking for a race or gender angle when, sometimes, it simply isn't there. For example, I don't remember seeing a seeing a similar outcry from football fans when Georgie Bingham was binned from the Talkshite breakfast show. Yes, there was lots of 'sorry to hear you're leaving' stuff, but no-one was OUTRAGED about the decision. Oh – and she's been replaced by a bloke. Work that one out :dunce:

It's pretty snowflakey.

In answer to your question, I have no idea who replaces them and nor does anyone else, which makes the whole faux outrage ridiculous. But, whoever it is would be, I assume, qualified for the job, having been through a rigorous interview process and – regardless of race, colour, sexual orientation, or religion – have got the job on merit. If they turn out to be no good or it isn't working out, then they will be replaced, whoever they are :shrug:

There won't be, the roles will be given to male and female people of colour.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
There won't be, the roles will be given to male and female people of colour.

And you know that how?

And even if that WAS the case, what's the problem?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here