Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So will we finish above Palace

Will we finish above Palace

• Total voters

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Palace and Newcastle play horrible negative football yet somehow continue to pick up undeserved results often through luck or dubious refereeing decision. It just shows how much luck plays a part in football.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think they will, but, it’s another season they won’t do the double over us.

How long has it been now?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I’ll await the replay on MOTD before arguing when the flag went up, it’s not like your defence stopped playing before he smashed the ball into the goal?

I assume you think a shot that comes back out after hitting a post is on target ..... just the post was at the wrong angle ?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Because, theoretically the game stopped the moment he committed the off side offence.

Have I been whooshed?

But that's not quite true though. The offence doesn't happen until it's given.

As an example, let's say after the "goal" was scored Dunk punched Zaha full in the face (we'd all like to). He would still get sent off, even though the offside offence would have been the precursor to the sending off and would have meant play would have been stopped if given immediately. The game doesn't just stop because of an infringement of the laws of the game.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

No, because they have the ability to get points and win games in the manner that they did yesterday. It is not pretty to watch, and requires some discipline etc. but will get you points when you don't "deserve" it. That is the pay-off I guess and the risk that we accept ( Well, I do!) with the way that we play - we will have far more games we don't get what we think we deserve. I can only think of Saints away last season that I felt we got something we didn't deserve. To be honest, like others have said, as long as we stay up, finishing above them right now isn't a big deal for me. Having no crowds in will help Roy no-end - reducing the pressure from the crowd when they are getting out-played by teams.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Unfortunately the ugly park the bus style and trying to win a dodgy penalty or hit a counter is very effective in this league. However I don't think anybody can question Brighton are clearly the better side. With a bit of luck and no major injuries I think finishing above them is easily doable. 33percent of the ball and 1 shot from a penalty which was never a penalty vs a team with 67 percent of the ball and 20 shots you have to expect that if this continues over the season the team with the larger attacking output and more of the ball will do better. Still to early to say but I think we proved yesterday we are much better than them and the better teams usually finish higher.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Palace and Newcastle play horrible negative football yet somehow continue to pick up undeserved results often through luck or dubious refereeing decision. It just shows how much luck plays a part in football.

The luck will run out in the end wouldn't be surprised if Palace and Newcastle are dragged a relegation battle at all.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Luck doesn't last forever. They will both struggle and we won't

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
was yes before the start of season but now think we wont.

Palace are awful to watch but they are very organised and do have match winners in their side . Hughton esq but will see them clear of the bottom 6.

We look powder puff and concede soft goals. Think we will be around the bottom 3 most the season and hope we can just avoid the drop.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yes we will.

We are a much better side as we have shown last season and this and the way we are playing will yield goals and results plus we can't continue with the bad luck we have had so far this season. Experienced and proven signings like Lallana and Welbeck will help us with this over the course of the season and in players like Lamptey, White, Bissouma and Alzate we have some of the most promising youngsters in the country.

Plus, all the while Roy is their manager he will never get the most of the players there. Having no fans is doing them a massive favour at the moment, imagine having to pay and witness that every week!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i'm going to go out on a limb and say that once these ridiculous international breaks are over and with a fit DW thrown into the mix i think we are going to really spank a few teams this year ......god knows we deserve it for the type of football we are playing , we just need a bit more shoot on sight for me.....:thumbsup:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Luck doesn't last forever. They will both struggle and we won't

I have clung to that idea for several seasons.

The truth is that it isn't luck.

The difference between our two clubs is that we are looking at a much longer view than they are.
Palace have always been focused on the current season and nothing else.
They pay top dollar for some very talented players, that are not used to their full potential, but will guarantee a certain amount of points.
They rely quite heavily on the "shock" results where players like Zaha and Townsend can counter attack effectively.

They are now stuck with using the same tactics against teams below them in the league.
Whereas our squad is developing and improving.
I don't know whether we will bridge the gap this season, but I'm sure we will soon and then start to pull away from them.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Sporting Index have us and Palace finishing side by side in the table (14th & 15th either way round). I think that correctly assesses a rough parity between Palace's ability to gather anti-football scraps across the season and the likely points return this time round for our exciting young squad.

The five teams below our "M23 derby" bracket are Newcastle, Sheffield Utd, Burnley, West Brom and Fulham. Can't argue with that - very hopeful we'll finish above those.
The five above are West Ham, Southampton, Villa, Leeds and Wolves. At this stage I wouldn't want to back us at evens to finish above any of them teams.

So 14th or 15th it is. And our battle with Palace for the higher placing is our own little trophy to play for this season...

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Sporting Index have us and Palace finishing side by side in the table (14th & 15th either way round). I think that correctly assesses a rough parity between Palace's ability to gather anti-football scraps across the season and the likely points return this time round for our exciting young squad.

The five teams below our "M23 derby" bracket are Newcastle, Sheffield Utd, Burnley, West Brom and Fulham. Can't argue with that - very hopeful we'll finish above those.
The five above are West Ham, Southampton, Villa, Leeds and Wolves. At this stage I wouldn't want to back us at evens to finish above any of them teams.

So 14th or 15th it is. And our battle with Palace for the higher placing is our own little trophy to play for this season...

If only football was so predictable.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Obviously I’m biased but how on earth did Batshuayi have a goal disallowed if it wasn’t a shot on target?

47573832_10157107388128923_7879454358797025280_o.jpg

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Having looked again, I do actually think Sporting Index have got our points prediction wrong. They have us getting only one point more (42) than last season (41). And we are WAY better than we were last season - so that must be wrong? If you expect us to be up more around 46-48pts then that definitely brings West Ham into range and takes us clear of Palace...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

I'd like to think that with a fair wind we can finish above West Ham, Southampton and Leeds.

Wolves and Villa may be beyond us this season.

I'm still hopeful of bettering our 13th place highest ever finish.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If only football was so predictable.
Interesting point. The Premier League surely is quite predictable based on the strength of the squads by deadline day combined with some early season form information?

I guess at least a couple of teams will finish outside of their currently predicted section of the table though - and I definitely hope we're one of them (in an upwards direction)...!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here