Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So who now?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It would be harsh on El-Abd and Elphick to see Gus sign a Centre-Back before they've had an opportunity to show how they can perform at Championship level. I'd be inclined to keep the squad as it is and review the centre-back issue at the next transfer window.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I'm actually quite happy with our wing back cover. Especially with Vincelot being adaptable and Gus' belief in Tanno. Another CB would be nice but I think that'd be the icing on the cake really as Painter, Vincelot, El Abd, Elphick and arguably Cook could all play there to some degree of success.

If we sign anyone else I think it'll be the striker Gus has been chasing. No idea who he is but I'm sure he'll be fantastic. CMS, Barnes, Hoskins is a strong unit already, throw another experienced name in there and we're sitting pretty.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Tall centre forward and we're done...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Vincelot is our full back cover and can play centre back as well. Agree we need a big striker, but haven't we got Bergkamp who could do that roll?
Obviously Gus doesn't think so. He or Agdestein didn't even get a run out v Gillingham so can't see them getting any minutes in the Chanpionship.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I think the change in transfers has caused Gus a few headaches as he is unable to risk younger players in his matchday squad, we therefore need to have 5 quality subs who can certainlydo a job if required.

I'd like to see a new CB as I'm unsure we have enough quality in the 4 that we have, a GK who can dominate the box would be beneficial and a striker that is big strong and will score 20+ goals a season would be wonderful.

The difficulty is that Gus will (rightly) only sign players who are an improvement on what we already have and there aren't many available at the moment, we may see some signings a little later into the season when the premiership sides have named their squads and we sign a gem on a season long loan.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We could buy a striker, Defensive utility player, and keeper but think we will only sign any of those if the EXACT player we want becomes available. Otherwise stick with what we have :) More than happy with current squad!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure about Painter in the Championship. Just a hunch, hope I'm wrong. We'll soon know. The whole defence needs to tighten up a bit, but I'm sure they know that and at least Saturday's wake-up call was a 2-2 and not a 4-0 defeat.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Maybe, but then neither of them have got on the bench even when we had no striker on there, and Gus is trying to sign someone else, so :shrug:

Would they travel to away games? I was under the impression that for Portsmouth (the game we had no strikers on the bench) was when Hoskins was expected to be fit enough, but wasn't. Plus, Buckley started on the pitch, who could play in attack as well if needs be. I image Gus suspected taking Barnes, Hoskins, CMS and Buckley would be enough.

Possibly.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Exactly. When the inevitable games against the donkeys (11 x 6'1" players) start like Southampton, especially defending set pieces.

I think there might be something of a myth developing about our side.

Greer 6'4"
Dunk 6'4"
Dicker 6'2"
Elphick 6'2"
Barnes 6'1"
Ankergren 6'3"
Buckley 6'0"

With the exception of the midget Bridcutt, all the rest of the first team regulars are 5'10" and above, so not exactly qualifying to keep Snow White company by any means.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not sure about Painter in the Championship. Just a hunch, hope I'm wrong. We'll soon know

I have the same uncomfortable feeling, and I very much hope it doesn't turn out to be the case, as I really like the bloke.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I don't think we need anymore players to be honest,we have some great youngsters on the fringes and i think young bergkamp could be the target man we need:)

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I still think the midfield might be lightweight. If bridcutt was out his natural replacement would be Navarro, but he's not a ball winner. Are simmonds, Rodgers or kasim this kind of player? Painter still a slight worry for me too. Finally, two profiles of striker, target man or finisher. I'm not sure if anyone we have fits those profiles (I appreciate the latter is controversial but Saturday was a good example)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here