Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So who is our penalty taker?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
So far (not including shoot-outs) the following players have taken pens this season: Barnes, Bennett, Murray, Wood and Dicker. They have all missed at least once.

Gus says we need to sort out our problem with penalties for next season. Isn't it usual for clubs to have one player as their regular penalty taker and a reserve if that player isn't playing (with a third as extra back up)? That would be a start.

Was surprised when Dicker stepped up today - thought it would have been Sandaza, given how keen he was to take that pen against FCUM.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
anyone know the split of the 13 taken, and whether they were scored or not?

Does Hoskins take penalties? I think if not, Gus might look elsewhere...

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
anyone know the split of the 13 taken, and whether they were scored or not?

Barnes - scored 3, missed 1
Wood - scored 2, missed 1
Dicker - scored 1, missed 1
Murray - scored 0, missed 2
Bennett - scored 0, missed 2

Total - scored 6, missed 7

Three of the missed pens were taken by other players when Barnes was on the pitch (but they were all earlier in the season).

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Thought Sandaza was going throw his carrots out of the horse box when the ball was taken from him for the first penalty.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Gus was asked in the after match interview wether the penalty taker should be changed when you get a second penalty in a match.
" We haven't got one penalty taker and now you want me to have two." :lolol:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Christian Baz should be our penalty taker.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Wasn't the second one quite well saved, rather than missed by Dicker. I thought the ball was well placed just inside the post, but the keeper went the right way and got there. :shrug:

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
GullytheSeagull.jpg

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Currently its Wood isn't it? He scored his last one so he's still the pen taker.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Wasn't the second one quite well saved, rather than missed by Dicker. I thought the ball was well placed just inside the post, but the keeper went the right way and got there. :shrug:

All our unsuccessful penalties were saved.

Some will probably argue they were poorly taken penalty, but I think that penalties are a combination of mind games and luck, a game between the keeper and taker sometimes to try to force each other one side or another, sometimes to see who blinks first (when the taker waits for the keeper to move before deciding which side or the keeper waits for the taker to kick it before diving) and sometimes it's the keeper throwing himself one way in the hopes that's the side the taker has chosen and vice versa.

If the keeper had dived the other way on our saved penalties we would have called them good, confident penalties.

The least I ask of penalty takers is to get them on target, and all of our penalty takers have done that, and I think that should be recognised, the keepers also deserve the credit for winning the mind games, guessing right, doing their research, or just being lucky.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Barnes wasn't on the pitch when we got that penalty, which might be the reason wood took it.

Could be. Its seemed that this season that when you miss a penalty, the next person steps up. Barnes missed his previous so Wood would have taken in irrespective of Barnes being on the pitch I think. Obviously, this statement is completely impossible to back up until we win a penalty and both are on the pitch.

Lets just say its not Dicker anymore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here