Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So When will we be hearing about contracts?

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
unfortunately we can't officially do much about Painter until his contract with Swansea expires in June. Hopefully we are in touch with them and Marcos knows that there is a contract waiting with us when the time comes but dont expect to hear anything sooner than mid to late June on that front and a similar situation could be with Lualua and Hendrie.

Calderon I expect to have been offered a contract already and we will hear quite soon when (if) he signs it.

I would not be at all surprised if Arismendi joined us on loan at least until Christmas but we won't hear anything on that before July I guess. Barnes is in contract at Plymouth so we need to make an offer and they need to decide on their core squad ahead of next season. I'm guessing July before we hear anything on that front too.

Contract extensions should be sorted reasonably soon. Players who are away on loan (ie Forster) won't be officially resolved before their contracts expire in June. Gus has already said that he may not be able to contact all the players straight way and presumably this is what he is referring too. I expect to hear about Virgo/Kuipers/Hart/Cox etc by the end of this week.

My reckoning was on Virgo and Kuipers joining Whing, Hart, Hawkins, Cox and Carole in the revolving door marked "exit" before the Bristol match but there is some smart money on the former two staying for another year and on Hart getting a coaching gig (I for one would be well pleased if that happened).

Expect Dickinson, Davies, McNulty and Wright to be back at the end of June for pre season but expect three of them at least go on the official transfer list in July with one or two others also being available for the right offer. Hawkins might also be still with us pre-season as he needs to get fit to find a new club.

An excellent summary there but one thing for clarification: I thought Lua-Lua is contracted to Newcastle for next season already so if we are to sign him we would need to make them an offer and buy him when the transfer window re-opens. Obviously I would like to think that we would be in dialogue with Newcastle before transfers are allowed again and I reckon it is nailed on that we are going to try and get him in....I mean them permitting him to come back to complete he re-hab speaks volumes and I am pretty sure if we chuck them 50-75k with a sell-on clause then they would take that.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd be surprised if we needed to pay more than 500k for K Lua Lua. He's played well, but it must be remembered that this is division THREE.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Not a chance we'll get Lua Lua for 75k. 6-10 times that maybe

You reckon? He was not even getting any opportunities at all at a Championship club he has got even slimmer chance now with them being in the Premier League...If they valued him at 6 times that amount then he would have been in the team.

He even said himself in an Argus interview that he was never really given a chance and maybe they might push us to pay 100k for him but that will be tops.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I thought a player could sign a contract with a new club up to 6 months in advance of his current contract expiring. So the likes of Painter could sign immediately if he wanted to.

think you have to wait until the end of the season for English players whereas foreign players (including Scottish) can be approached and signed up to 6 months before expiry. Could be wrong though

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Virgo, Cox, Hart, Kuipers, Whing and Forster obviously wont get new deals.

Not only does Gus not see them as part of his plans, it would be fair to say 5 of them are probably amongst our top earners and gus can spend the wages better elsewhere.
Hawkins is probably on decent money also.

There should be a decent bit of money going around i think to offer decent wages to 4 or 5 quality additions hopefully.

Time to get rid of the old guard once and for all if we want to move forward.

Wouldn't say it was obvious re Kuipers and Virgo would expect it all depends on the wages/role they want, the rest are not getting games so will be on their way.

I thought a player could sign a contract with a new club up to 6 months in advance of his current contract expiring. So the likes of Painter could sign immediately if he wanted to.

It's boring that I know this, but a player with a contract to a club playing in the English league system cannot sign a contract with another English club until the last weekend in May or 6 weeks before the end of their contract, whichever is earlier.

Actually, I thought that was true only if the player is 24+. Painter is 23.

There is a fee due is the player is 23 or under, but the player is still free to negotiate a contract with other parties. Also, the fee is for development of the player, and given that he arrived on a free from Birmingham a couple of years ago they can't lay much of a claim to his development (especially as he would be moving down a division!).

Oh and I agree with Thimble Keegan re: Lua-Lua. £100k with a sell on clause absolute tops.

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Lua Lua is not worth 500k.You can get a far better winger with an end product from the championship for that price.I wouldn't pay anymore then 150k-200k plus a sell on clause maybe.

Anyway when does the transfer market re-opens?

Oct 25, 2003
lua-lua definitely isn't worth a massive amount.......he's barely played a game above league 1 level

£100k with future incentives i reckon.......doubt Newcastle are that fussed about keeping him

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Hopefully he is keeping them WAITING until we are actually MATHEMATICALLY safe which we are not.

And the PLAYERS only have THEMSELVES to BLAME for that as safety should have been secured weeks ago. LOSING to Hartlepool and Carlisle is UNFORGIVABLE.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Interesting, as normally this doesn't seem to be done until after the end of the season. I suspect that we will hear a few things through the rumour mill before anything is officially confirmed.

The other thing is that 90% of the out of contract players have had more than enough time to prove their worth. The last 3 or 4 games of the season are primarily irrelevant if we are safe and I don't think that just because they played well in meaningless games would change Gus' opinion of them. He's too clever for that.

I'm looking forward to fining out the retained list though. There's always a few surprises!

How many opportunities have all those players had in league games. Not too many I would suggest.

Fraid not. You can negotiate and talk to other clubs. FA rules also say -

(iii) Within 7 days of the fi rst Saturday in May, or the date of the last competitive
Match of the Club’s fi rst team, whichever is the later, the Club must give notice in
writing to the Player indicating that either the Club offers a re-engagement or, if
appropriate, exercises any option contained in the agreement.
(iv) If the notice offers re-engagement it must specify the period which the Club is
prepared to agree and the terms and conditions to apply, which must be the same
or not less favourable overall than those which applied during the initial period of
employment – or the option period (if applicable).
(v) The Player must notify in writing the Club holding the registration within 28 days
of receipt of the said notice whether or not the offer of re-engagement is
accepted.
(vi) If the offer is rejected the Player is immediately free to negotiate with another
Club.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
You're in dreamland if you think we'll get him for 100k. I would expect 500k personally as he brings in the crowds. More likely we'll get him on a loan deal

500k for someone who has hardly played at their club? Half that and you might get nearer the price. As good as he is Lua Lua needs to work on his end product

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here