Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So when we will take the FA Cup seriously again?

When will we take the FA Cup seriously again?

• We never will again

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • When Gus is no longer our manager

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • When we reach the premiership

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • When we stumble through to he quarters despite fielding a weakened team in every round

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • When they offer a European place to the finalists

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Be interesting to see what happens with the team picked for the replay if we get a great draw this afternoon

Thats what im thinking. Im sure Gus will want to play the develoment zquad in the replay. But what if the winners are given a home tie against, say Chelsea in the next round. I reckon he'd have second thoughts

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thats what im thinking. Im sure Gus will want to play the develoment zquad in the replay. But what if the winners are given a home tie against, say Chelsea in the next round. I reckon he'd have second thoughts

GP: "I would say we've got a great, great chance of playing the whole of the 2nd team in the replay"
JC: "Gus, you're clearly very respectful of the FA Cup, is that why you played some of those more senior players today ?"
GP: "Well no doubt. No doubt. I've seen too many things, you know people talking too much about this Cup, accusing the manager or the clubs of not respecting the Cup. Saying that, I lost another player so, err, you know I think people just talk because they've got the freedom to go and say whatever they like, but they don't think about the rest of the team or the problems you have. You know we were fair with this competition but we lost another player so it was...painful".
JC: "The draw for the 4th round coming up tomorrow, will you look at that draw before deciding who you'll play at Wrexham ?"
GP: "Well it will depend, like I said. Its depending on the whole club really, if its at home if its away, of course we want to respect everyone but we need to look after ourselves because there are too many games and we are losing too many players, so I cannot take any more risks if its not something very very important".

Anyone going to the Racecourse to watch the ressies then ?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Anyone going to the Racecourse to watch the ressies then ?[/QUOTE]

IF I can get a lift!

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
The draw today will be interesting! Hull/derby away everyone won't care,big prem team away or maybe even Crawley and I imagine most will want us taking a full team up to Wrexham??

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
In answer to the question once we become established in the championship like Reading. Still (tho very slim) chance we could go down so next year or the year after.

Wasnt so long ago Cardiff got to the final and Champ teams tend to get to the qtr or even semi final so hopefully in a couple of years time we will give it a RIGHT GO.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
With the 4th round 3 days before the palace game I would much rather the players had a few days off than a long journey and a tough game. What happens if we get a good draw and are on tv on the sunday. If we do get through we must play the kids in the next round. Does anybody believe the cup is more than beating palace.

ANYONE who does needs to be taken outside and f***ing SHOT. Bye Brovian.

NOTHING is more important tham beating those BASTARDS. Nothing.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Very good question. Last year everybody said "getting promoted is far more important", and I did ask what people's excuse will be next (this) season. So what is it then? We're probably not going to go up or down, so surely we aren't thinking "Forget the Cup it's far more important we concentrate on what will probably be a futile attempt to reach the play-offs", or "Forget the Cup, it's far more important that we are really really REALLY safe from relegation."

Didn't bother going yesterday as I know Poyet doesn't really give a toss and that consciously or unconsciously transmits itself to the senior players. I accept it was good experience for the youngsters and they acquitted themselves well (they were drooling over Hall on the radio), but they were only up against Conference players.

Despite this being basically a consolidation season I'm sure there are people on here who'd rather we had lost as opposed to having to have a replay. That says everything you need to know about the modern fan and the FA Cup.
T

This. There are basically three scenarios when 3rd day comes around. Aiming for promotion/play offs, consolidation or relegation battle. Each one will be used as an excuse for not taking the FA cup seriously or at least showing it respect.

Poyet loves the FA cup,got us to the last 16 last year.
Yesterday he put out a team made up of young uns and what should be considered experience,it did not quite come off,the fact that the squad is completely depleted through injury and suspension has flown over a lot of people's bonces.

You are a comedian.

GP: "I would say we've got a great, great chance of playing the whole of the 2nd team in the replay"
JC: "Gus, you're clearly very respectful of the FA Cup, is that why you played some of those more senior players today ?"
GP: "Well no doubt. No doubt. I've seen too many things, you know people talking too much about this Cup, accusing the manager or the clubs of not respecting the Cup. Saying that, I lost another player so, err, you know I think people just talk because they've got the freedom to go and say whatever they like, but they don't think about the rest of the team or the problems you have. You know we were fair with this competition but we lost another player so it was...painful".
JC: "The draw for the 4th round coming up tomorrow, will you look at that draw before deciding who you'll play at Wrexham ?"
GP: "Well it will depend, like I said. Its depending on the whole club really, if its at home if its away, of course we want to respect everyone but we need to look after ourselves because there are too many games and we are losing too many players, so I cannot take any more risks if its not something very very important".

Anyone going to the Racecourse to watch the ressies then ?

Have to say when driving home I nearly had a crash when that came on the radio "Gus, you're clearly very respectful of the FA Cup". Missed out three letters, 'dis'.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We are not going up this season and we wont go down either. The FA Cup should be very high on the agenda...The fact that the big clubs do play fringe players gives a better chance to lesser clubs....i.e Cardiff, Portsmouth in recent years.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
With the 4th round 3 days before the palace game I would much rather the players had a few days off than a long journey and a tough game. What happens if we get a good draw and are on tv on the sunday. If we do get through we must play the kids in the next round. Does anybody believe the cup is more than beating palace.

I was watching Albion v Palace in the years before all this "we hate Palace" stuff,when the animosity was aimed more at Portsmouth or Southampton; and the FA cup was regarded as a highlight of the season rather than an add on get in the way too many games ( managers then would have laughed at this argument ) phenomenon.

Sure,I want us to beat Palace,and everybody else,and fail to see why one should be at the exclusion of the other.

First team at Wrexham,por favor.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
The FA Cup will never again be as it was because of the money that is on offer in the Champions League and the Premiership. The premier is going to be won by 1 of 3 teams, of the other 3 near the top they aren't worried because they want the 4th spot and a place in the Champions League. The rest of the premier want to stay there, again because of the riches it brings. With 21 games left to play, Forest, in a relegation spot, are only 15 points off the play offs. I totally agree with Gus, unless you think you will get to the final and a great day out, don't jeopardise your chances of reaching the promised land.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
The strange thing is Gus put out strong teams in the League Cup against Sunderland and Liverpool and yet a weaken side against Wreham. Yes I know we have injuries and suspensions but what was so different between the two competitions.

I have always said play your strongest team what ever the situation.

Sadly clubs, managers and supporters (ok of bigger clubs) have degraded the FA Cup to a competition which is only important if you get to the last 16 / 8.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
I agree with the sentiment, if not the detail.

I remember Cup Final Grandstand started at 9am - the traditional kids' Saturday morning TV show was kicked into touch for the week. We'd have a lot of live stuff from the teams' hotels and see them boarding their buses and start the trip to Wembley. There'd be a Cup Final special edition of "Question of Sport" and, if Everton were playing, Stan Boardman would re-tell his Gaaaaaairman jokes.

I don't recall any special "It's a Knockout" though...

Yeah, there was. I do vaguely remember it. I don't think it ran every year though.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Personally I am sad that the F.A.Cup is no longer treated with the respect it deserves.
Would love to have seen a stronger side put out yesterday, hopefully get a good lead and then bring on some of the younger players.IMHO, I can't see the point of bringing on players who are unlikely to play a significant part in the first team during the rest of this season and it is no good wrapping players up in cotton wool,they can get injured at any time. There is an argument that says the less one plays in a competitive situation the more likely one is to get injured.Disappointed to see Buckley come off ,unless he was injured as he has had so little actual pitch time and needs all he can get.
Hope we can get a result at the replay, regardless of who we draw in the next round.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Last season Gus said the team he put out was more than capable of beating non league sides. He said he wasn't happy that they both had to go to replays. He did get us to the 5th round. He has said just this week that he loves the FA cup as it is the greatest cup competition in the world. He has won it himself. The team he put out yesterday was tempered with injuries and suspensions but looking at the team, they were capable of beating Wrexham although Wrexham played very well. Gordon Strachan commented on the highlights show that both teams played extremely good football. I hope that we have a few more players available for the replay so that we win it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here