Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So what's it like to fly first class on the A380.......

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
It's things like that which allow other passengers to travel cheaply! It costs the airline more than you pay to carry you from A to B in economy. It's hugely subsidised by the massive overpayment by business- and first-class passengers.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
"Do you speak any other language apart from Irish?"

What a tard.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Very nice, showering at 40,000ft!

Disgraceful customer service upon entering the aircraft though, back to the customer :(

I kept thinking the filmmaker was a Ross Kemp lookalike!! :D

Last edited:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It's things like that which allow other passengers to travel cheaply! It costs the airline more than you pay to carry you from A to B in economy. It's hugely subsidised by the massive overpayment by business- and first-class passengers.

That doesn't make sense, easyjet don't have first class and are a world away from british airways economy prices...

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
That doesn't make sense, easyjet don't have first class and are a world away from british airways economy prices...

BA are actually cheaper than Easyjet for many destinations at the moment.

And you get free bag, drink etc.

I just got return to Hamburg for £114.00 with BA inc taxes, bag and c card fee

Easyjet for f,ights on same day £190.00

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I don't know because I have never flown with them but heard that Easyjet and Ryan Airways have a lot of hidden charges....is that right?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

They make their money in other ways. Number of staff on each flight is at a legal minimum, they charge extra for food, drink, etc. Some low-cost airlines are starting to implement classes (such as AirTran). They can also get away with charging slightly less because of shorter flights, they get more passengers per seat per day. They'd also rather have 100% of the seats full paying 80% price than 80% of the seats taken, paying 100%.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

But that's something of a myth, isn't it? Buy 3 months in advance, don't take any bags or book seats or food and use their favoured credit card & it's a winner. The other 75% of the passengers are paying a fair whack.

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Good to finally get a view of the First class....always wondered ya know. As for the price I believe their first class has the flat rate of 20,000 (ish). I seem to remember the flight from LA to Dubai being more or less the same as the price in the OP.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I sometimes do work for a scheduled airline, put very basically, if an aircraft is full with 3 classes. Economy pays for the cost of the flight, business and first class are your profit. That's a very rough guide but its something that they still work on today.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I was on an Emirates flight from London to Brisbane Economy. Arrived at Dubai, I asked for a window seat for the Dubai-Brisbane leg and the lovely lady bumped me up to Business instead!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
They'd also rather have 100% of the seats full paying 80% price than 80% of the seats taken, paying 100%.

If true, that's just plane stupid (see what I did there?).
Just think of the extra fuel needed because of the extra weight.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I don't know because I have never flown with them but heard that Easyjet and Ryan Airways have a lot of hidden charges....is that right?

I use Easyjet 4 or 5 times a year, and have not experienced any hidden charges. What you do have, however, is the option not to pay for things you don't want, such as luggage in the hold (not necessary if you can put all you need in hand luggage). Also, you don't pay for the "free drinks" and "free food" that BA "give" you. I can normally last a flight without being given their version of a meal, and if I want a drink I can choose to pay for it at the time. Their staff always seem helpful and respectful. There is a small downside that they have unallocated seating, but that is in the process of changing.

I've also used BA 3 times in the past month, and can't really complain about the service I've received, the prices have been somewhat higher than Easyjet but on these occasions that was not an option.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I can normally last a flight without being given their version of a meal, and if I want a drink I can choose to pay for it at the time. Their staff always seem helpful and respectful. There is a small downside that they have unallocated seating, but that is in the process of changing.

Surely not, a Brighton fan who can go more than 45 minutes without food AND drink, not many of them around at the Amex on a match day

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
BA are actually cheaper than Easyjet for many destinations at the moment.

And you get free bag, drink etc.

I just got return to Hamburg for £114.00 with BA inc taxes, bag and c card fee

Easyjet for f,ights on same day £190.00
If you can book early, such as 3 months in advance, you can get a flight for £65.36 return with Easyjet, taking a reasonable sized bag free inc credit card fee.

For a short flight like BKK HKG First Class is a waste of money (although no way is it over $20k). The problem with the Emirates A380 business class is there are too many seats and the service takes for ever but it is an amazingly quiet aeroplane. Also the Emirates cabin crew are nowhere near as attractive (or attentive) as Far Eastern carriers :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here