Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So what were the big NEWS STORIES the year you were born ?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Start of the Vietman war

Tom & Jerry debuts

Most French would say the Vietnam War started in 1954 when they had the shit kicked out of them at Dien Bien Phu, or even earlier, when the Vietnamese first started going for independence. According to most Vietnamese, it started in 1959, when Ho Chi Minh declared war on the US. Most US sources say it started in 1961, when they first started getting involved militarily. It is true that the first US ground troops started being killed around 1965, but the war had already been on for some time.

Edit: and since, as they say, history is written by the victors, i guess we should accept 1959 as the date it began...

Tom & Jerry first appeared at the movies in 1940. Do you mean, were first shown on TV?

Last edited:

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing

Falklands War
Aston Villa win the European Cup
Mary Rose is raised
Commodore 64 launched

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I recall plagues of ladybirds...went to Clymping and there were patches of red all over the shingle.

It's also the year the InterCity 125 was launched in the UK. The age of the train. Cue Jimmy Savile...

(alright, I know the advert was from the 1980s)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Also from 1976

242,769 people die in an earthquake in China
James Callaghan becomes UK Prime Minister
Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak form Apple Computers (it'll never catch on)
The first commercial Concorde flight takes off
Sid James dies
Czechoslovakia beat West Germany on penalties to win Euro 76

and

Brotherhood of Man win the Eurovision Song Contest with this, er, classic

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
7 astronauts are killed when Challenger Space Shuttle explodes 73 seconds after lift-off from Cape Kennedy.

Chernobyl Accident (first nuclear disaster) in Soviet Union.

Argentina wins soccer World Cup. England were knocked out 2-1 in Quarter Finals by Argentina, including Diego Maradona's "Hand of God" goal.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
This is a bad chat up line when seducing the older women, and encourages her to lie. She will give the year of her eldest daughter and final admits to be the age of her oldest son (the one that is in jail).

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Terry Waite, Rudolf Hess's suicide, Herald of Free Enterprise, Black Monday, Kings Cross fire.

On my exact birthday, Gerard Pique was born, nothing much happened. Closer to home the current train operator here spun off from its parent general transport firm, but the feckers won't give me free travel for sharing a birthday :(

Last edited:

Cypriot-Seagull

Jul 15, 2011
Somewhere in Cyprus
The World Trade Center officially opens in New York City with a ribbon cutting ceremony.

The United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland and Denmark enter the European Economic Community, which later becomes the European Union.

Sunderland AFC defeats Leeds United A.F.C. in the FA Cup final.

Watergate scandal: Televised hearings begin in the United States Senate.

In the United Kingdom, due to coal shortages caused by industrial action, the Three-Day Week electricity consumption reduction measure comes into force.

Cypriot-Seagull comes to existence.

D

Deleted User X18H

The Beatles played their last gig on the roof at Abbey Road the day after I was born. I don't remember much about it.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Just bung the year into Wiki and have a sniff.

A tsunami 85 m high rises over the Ryukyu Islands in Japan. It throws a 750-ton block of CORAL 2.5 km inland.

Disneyworld opens in Florida.

A law is passed in Peru legalising the rape of dwarves on their birthdays.

1971 for me also, and Wikipedia has just informed me that Henrik Larsson is 5 days older than me, which is nice.

Happy 40th gents.

Some other happenings in the year of our birth.

The Ibrox disaster - 66 crushed to death when stairway collapsed.
The Nasdaq was born.
Decimalisation Day
Arsenal win the double.
Jim Morrison dies.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Brixton riots
Toxteth riots
Hosni Mubarak sworn in as president of Egypt after the assassination of his predecessor Anwar Sadat
Future king of England, Prince Charles, marries Lady Diana Spencer and wastes no time in getting her preggers with heir to the throne Prince William
First DeLorean DMC-12 sports car rolls off production line in Northern Ireland
Ronald Reagan is shot in Washington DC
Pope John Paul II is shot in Vatican City
Peter Sutcliffe is found guilty of being the Yorkshire Ripper and sentenced to life imprisonment
First recognised case of AIDS
MTV is launched

Bit of a mixed bad really

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here