Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So What Time Does The Inquiry Start Tomorrow And Who's Going?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

From the Albion website:-

Public Inquiry Resumes

By Paul Camillin

The re-opened Public Inquiry into Albion's proposed new stadium at Falmer kicks off tomorrow (Tuesday) morning with a tour by all interested parties of the 'alternative' sites - put forward by Deputy PM John Prescott.

When Prescott delivered his neither-yes-nor-no verdict in the summer, he recognised the need for a new stadium in Brighton & Hove. However, in wanting to be sure there were no alternatives to Falmer, he outlined seven alternative sites within the Brighton & Hove area for further consideration. Since then a further two have been added to the list.

At a cost in excess of £300,000, Albion have hired planning, environmental, traffic and safety experts amongst others to carry out extensive surveys looking at the possibility and feasibility of developing a new stadium on any one of the nine sites outlined by Prescott.

Club Chief Executive Martin Perry says there have been no surprises and the findings made in 1999 still ring true nearly six years later.

Perry, who heads up the Falmer project for the club, said, "We have come to the same conclusion we did in 1999 - which was confirmed by the city council - Falmer is the best site within Brighton & Hove for our new stadium. We're confident that Mr Prescott will come to the same conclusion."

Perry and Albion's other expert witnesses will begin giving their evidence to the Government Inspector on Wednesday morning at 9.30am at Brighton Town Hall - and Perry says they would all welcome the support of Albion fans.

"In the same way that our supporters are such a boost to the team every time they run out in the Championship, having fans present at the Inquiry will be an enormous help to our team of experts. We will be giving evidence from Wednesday morning and expect it to take four days to put forward our case."

Fans are permitted to observe proceedings in the council chamber. Colours are encouraged, but fans are asked to maintain silence at all times.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
can you wander in at anytime during these things? or is it like Snooker when you can only sit down at the beginning of a frame/session?
I work almost opposite so hope to make an appearance.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
It's like a council meeting, a bit. You can wander in and out whenever you like, as long as you do it inobtrusively. The worst that can happen, really, is the Inspector telling you to be quiet.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've got Friday off work, so I might wander along and have a sniff on Friday morning. I'll bring the flask and Pringles - who's bringing sandwiches ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Cheers all. Anybody able to confirm that it is indeed in Brighton Town Hall - not Hove Town Hall like it was last time? It's not that I don't trust the Albion website or anything... :nono:

Last edited:

Lord Bracknell said:

Public Inquiry Resumes

By Paul Camillin

Fans are permitted to observe proceedings in the council chamber. Colours are encouraged, but fans are asked to maintain silence at all times.

ahhhhhhhhh

the chance to recreate the intimidating atmosphere of big new stadiums.......................like the Madejski

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anyone know the schedule for Friday ? Does it kick off at 9.30 ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Any chance of a vehicle/prat collision, Easy?

I don't think I could bring myself to go to this Inquiry. I would be so wound up by the BULLSHIT the NIMBY's lawyer wld come up with, it would just ruin my day.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:

Public Inquiry Resumes

By Paul Camillin

The re-opened Public Inquiry into Albion's proposed new stadium at Falmer kicks off tomorrow (Tuesday) morning with a tour by all interested parties of the 'alternative' sites - put forward by Deputy PM John Prescott.

Excuse my ignorance on this matter but will they be looking at THE proposed site too as well as the alternates?

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
I'm going tomorrow.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Bwian said:
Excuse my ignorance on this matter but will they be looking at THE proposed site too as well as the alternates?

I don't think so. It's just the alternatives. For the NIMBYS to win, the inquiry has to prove that any one of these sites is both suitable and better than Falmer. For us to win, it has to be proved that none of them is suitable.

At least, that's how I've been summing it up in my mind, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Large One said:
Any chance of a vehicle/prat collision, Easy?
Heh, I see what you've done there. Top bombing.

Sadly though, I'll be using a sustainable mode of transport to the Inquiry on Friday, and catching the bus. Mainly so I can get half-cut at lunchtime, build up some "dutch courage", and become loud and abusive during the afternoon session until someone is forced to remove me from the public gallery.

Crabbers - you up for a few shandies Friday lunchtime ?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Easy you took the words right outta my mouth! I'm a stones throw from the Black Lion so we could begin the NIMBY bashing there!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here