Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So This Paralympics Opening Ceremony...

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Is it going to be on anything like the same scale/budget as the Olympics do we know?

This is honestly supposed to be a serious thread, but no CM post would be complete without a shite gag or two - apparently the organisers couldn't afford to get Elbow for the Paralympic opening ceremony so they've hired a tribute band instead - Prosthetic Elbow. The less said about a possible appearance by American crooner John Legend the better!!

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
ignoring the bad jokes - Government has given Paralympics same sum of money for opening & closing as it did for Olympics, not sure if the organisers have the same budget though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are tickets easily available (for the events, not the opening ceremony)? I'd like to go.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Are tickets easily available (for the events, not the opening ceremony)? I'd like to go.

Not much chance for the main stadium or the swimming at least. I spent ten hours (admittedly at work) trying to get tickets using the twitter alert system and missed out every time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not much chance for the main stadium or the swimming at least. I spent ten hours (admittedly at work) trying to get tickets using the twitter alert system and missed out every time.
That's crazy. The paralympics aren't as popular as the olympics, I thought there'd be some availability.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It is expected to be the biggest and best Paralympics ever apparently. I think the BBC is cursing it's decision not to bid for the Paralympic Games, as the rights went to C4 for only £7m, which could prove to be a bargain, especially as all the events are more or less sold out (which is unprecented).

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing

Managed to get 4 tickets for the stadium on 8th Sept yesterday, so keep plugging away! Got email after that said that possibility that may be a press seat, which would be a standing stool and table!?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Managed to get 4 tickets for the stadium on 8th Sept yesterday, so keep plugging away! Got email after that said that possibility that may be a press seat, which would be a standing stool and table!?

That is good going. I got RSI from clicking all day and after a few days/evenings of no luck threw in the towel, but may try again.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Opening ceremony tickets for tomorrow night are available at £125 a pop (press table as 16bha says above). Too expensive for me, but a great experience for whoever gets them.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Why, what happened? The Olympics are always popular in every country, but the Paralympics are never sold out.

Paras were always going to do well in the UK as we take Paralympic sport very seriously but all the excitement over the Olympics has meant huge demand for tickets. There are still tickets for Excel though. Getting anything on the OP is going to be toughh.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I went to the Paralympics in Sydney in 2000. You could see whatever you wanted really - we went to the stadium which held about 110,000 at the time. However for the day we attended, there can't have been more than 25,000 in the place. Against that backdrop, it's going to be quite strange for me to see all the venues absolutely rammed for the London games.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I went to the Paralympics in Sydney in 2000. You could see whatever you wanted really - we went to the stadium which held about 110,000 at the time. However for the day we attended, there can't have been more than 25,000 in the place. Against that backdrop, it's going to be quite strange for me to see all the venues absolutely rammed for the London games.

It will be interesting - initially the stadium was only going to be lower tier opened for the daytime sessions. Not sure if that now means the upper tiers are in operation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Paras were always going to do well in the UK as we take Paralympic sport very seriously
Good point well made. I've just checked and we've finished 2nd in the medal tables for the last 3 paralympics. Probably would have won them if it wasn't for the home nations.

Managed to get 4 tickets for the stadium on 8th Sept
Cool, see you there. Just got 4 (wheelchair users) for the 1st and 8th.

And happy birthday!

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
If you'd have put in for tickets when they first went on sale you could've got pretty much anything. The same applies for the first, second and third rounds of general sale. Even in the first week of the Olympics there were tickets on sale for the paralymics in everything othr than the velodrome (which slod out in the first round!).

If you don't have any at this stage it's because you didn't want any until the band-wagon turned up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here