Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So the average worker has to work for nothing

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I reckon I could f**k it up just as well as he could. I can't see why pay for 'captains of industry' shouldn't be related to performance (Hang on, aren't you a Tory? Shouldn't you be arguing that?)

Are you going to tell us now that the financial sector is full of wunderkinds who justifably earn monumental wages and bonuses?

They are paid the going rate it is called business and bonuses are justified if you meet your targets.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Most Nurses work at the minimum five hours a week for nothing, but that is for love of the job and making sure their patients are at their most comfortable. However, working a whole day for nothing is possibly the start of a return to the workhouse and Victorian times.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So why are you defending Walsh? He's not met his targets. In spectacular fashion.

Just because he has failed one year he has also made huge profits as well.

BA will bounce back.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Just because he has failed one year he has also made huge profits as well.

BA will bounce back.

So as long as you've had some success somewhere in the past it's OK? Cool. We should sign Pele - great goalscoring record!

The banks will bounce back as well, but only because we bailed them out. BA will survive, but only because employees and/or some else will bail them out. Your reverance to the likes of Walsh is delusional.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So as long as you've had some success somewhere in the past it's OK? Cool. We should sign Pele - great goalscoring record!

The banks will bounce back as well, but only because we bailed them out. BA will survive, but only because employees and/or some else will bail them out. Your reverance to the likes of Walsh is delusional.

Comparing a football player to a business is completely inert to say the least.

No reverance just the fact that so many who cannot do these high powered jobs are always so quick to slag off those that do.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Comparing a football player to a business is completely inert to say the least.

No reverance just the fact that so many who cannot do these high powered jobs are always so quick to slag off those that do.

You can only conclude from the fact that such drastic action is required then the bloke is NOT doing his job very well. It's damned easy to lose a months salary when you earn what he does but a very different matter when you are struggling to pay a mortgage. However, it's BA and the government won't allow them to go bust whatever happens, more's the pity.

There are plenty of businesses out there in trouble who are not as high profile but nobody wants to bail them out.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There are plenty of businesses out there in trouble who are not as high profile but nobody wants to bail them out.

Indeed which is very unfair because the government would never bail out my company however if I worked for a car manufacturer...................

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Indeed which is very unfair because the government would never bail out my company however if I worked for a car manufacturer...................

Well they bailed out BA before whilst they did nothing for Laker, BCal, Dan Air and a lot of other airlines despite the fact that they were run more economically than BA. The only reason to help BA out is that it's cheaper than paying JSA to thousands of their workers and it'll also spare the rest of us from hear the whining of so many overpaid people.

Unlike the Railways there are alternatives to BA.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
It's amazing the pubilicity generated by this, considering other airlines are already doing exactly the same thing!

Oh and don't tarnish all BA with the same brush by saying they're overpaid, I haven't met one overpaid BA worker yet....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's amazing the pubilicity generated by this, considering other airlines are already doing exactly the same thing!

QUOTE]

They are our national carrier and one of the world's biggest airlines, what's amazing about it? The bigger you are the more publicity you get when things go pearshaped, isn't that the way of the world?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

I suspect BA is extremely pleased with all this free publicity

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He has the skills to run a very large company - how many others can do that ?
And where is your evidence for the last part of that statement? Only a very, very small percentage of the population gets the chance to run a big company. Who knows how many of the rest of us could actually do it better? The answer of course is that nobody knows; many millions will never get the chance to try, so there's no statistical evidence available to show they couldn't do just as well.
It's not even as if the recruitment process for these top jobs works very well. Of the few that do get to run a large company, a considerable proportion turn out to be rubbish and have to be shipped out with a seven figure pay-off. In fact, it often seems that the bigger the cock-up, the better the chance of getting another job (think Football Club chairmen; think Peter Ridsdale).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And where is your evidence for the last part of that statement? Only a very, very small percentage of the population gets the chance to run a big company. Who knows how many of the rest of us could actually do it better? The answer of course is that nobody knows; many millions will never get the chance to try, so there's no statistical evidence available to show they couldn't do just as well.
It's not even as if the recruitment process for these top jobs works very well. Of the few that do get to run a large company, a considerable proportion turn out to be rubbish and have to be shipped out with a seven figure pay-off. In fact, it often seems that the bigger the cock-up, the better the chance of getting another job (think Football Club chairmen; think Peter Ridsdale).

Evidence falls in supply and demand - loads would not even have the bottle to go for it let alone the skills.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Oh yes, I'm sure it's been great for business.

No they're not pleased about it as it's negative publicity. Unfortunately they relied heavily on corporate bankers paying top bucks for the best seats, however as the demand has fallen big time they are starting to try and attract the leisure traveller, hence the new website with combine and save offers.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No they're not pleased about it as it's negative publicity. Unfortunately they relied heavily on corporate bankers paying top bucks for the best seats, however as the demand has fallen big time they are starting to try and attract the leisure traveller, hence the new website with combine and save offers.

They are offering good deals we bought 4 return flights for three adults and one kid for £436 to Barcelona which would have been £575 with Easyjet.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I was absolutely amazed, total bargain of the highest order and I thought I would wait for Easyjet.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
loads would not even have the bottle to go for it let alone the skills.

..................so can you quote me figures for how many people not in the cosy loop have had an offer and refused it?

Supply and demand doesn't apply here. The demand for highly paid over-achievers is comparatively limited, while the potential supply, in statistical terms, can be treated as practically infinite. The limiting of the supply side of the market to a (not very well) selected few distorts the "supply and demand" model to the point of destruction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here