Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So much for George Osborne being a lightweight...

larus

Well, well. After all the tripe posted about how out of touch he's been with the rest of the world, and how Gordon 'Spend, Spend, Spend' Brown was leading the world out of recession, look who's ideas are getting adopted/accepted around the world.

No doubt the rest of the world don't understand and 'Prudence' has been right all along - yeah.

From Stephanomics on the BBC site
----------------------------------

The world has moved - and it has moved in this government's direction. That was the message of this weekend's meeting of G20 finance ministers and central bank governors in Korea, and it felt like sweet vindication for George Osborne. Ever since Mr Osborne opposed fiscal stimulus in the autumn of 2008, Gordon Brown had said that the international community was on their side - and the Conservatives were "in a minority of one". Not any more.

Truth be told, big new stimulus programmes have been off the agenda - almost everywhere - for quite a while. But as recently as April, these same men and women were talking about the need for most governments to sustain the support for the economy that they already had in place. But the statement agreed in Busan on Saturday focuses on the importance of "sustainable public finances" - and the need for countries to take "credible, growth-friendly measures" to achieve that.

The US and the IMF pushed hard for that reference to "growth-friendly". Both are worried about the real economic impact of everyone slashing their deficits in 2011. Looking at movements in world markets today, apparently investors are worried too.

But that was not George Osborne's primary concern as he flew back home. His main concern is, understandably, the tough decisions that he and the government have to make over the next few months - and how to sell them to an electorate that were not given much to go on, on this subject, during the election.

Seen in that context, the G20 statement was extremely helpful - especially the sentence welcoming "recent announcements by some countries to reduce their deficits in 2010 and strengthen their fiscal institutions". In case you were wondering: that last bit means us.

The prime minister has just given us a flavour of what's to come - we'll have more tomorrow from Mr Osborne and Danny Alexander. What we know already is that this is going to look very different from the closed, Treasury-driven exercises to cut spending that we've seen in the past. As David Cameron said in answering questions - that shouldn't be a surprise. We haven't had an 11% of deficit before, either.

There'll be no more numbers this week. Today and tomorrow are all about process - the Canadian-style "star chamber" to decide on cuts, the structured public debate - on and offline, and the effort to involve as many people as possible in these tough decisions.

Experience elsewhere - not just in Canada but in Sweden and Ireland as well - shows that this is really the only way to do this. You never know, in some areas it could produce some bright ideas for cuts that actually make parts of our public services work better for people than they did before. (See my post "Efficiency swipes".)

But before we get too carried away - consider the the larger, global lesson, of the G20 meeting this weekend. Those ministers haven't stopped talking about fiscal stimulus because the global economy doesn't need it any more. In fact, as US Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner stressed in his remarks, the private-sector recovery in many countries still seems quite fragile - witness the recent figures out of the US.

No, They've stopped talking about stimulus because they don't think the global economy can afford it any more.

Rightly or wrongly, most in the G20 have drawn the lesson from recent bond market ructions in the eurozone that governments, as a group, need to cut borrowing faster than planned over the next few years. That's almost regardless of what happens to growth, although, naturally, the G20 expect the world's central banks to do their part to support the recovery. As I've indicated, the US doesn't quite agree, but given its own deficit numbers. Mr Geithner wasn't in a position to make much of a fuss about it this weekend - at least not in public.

So yes, the message of the G20 was that the world was moving the government's way. But the message was also that the finance ministers of the world's most important economies think that fiscal efforts to support the global economy - in effect - have now reached a dead end.

Given the the enormous weight of public and private debt weighing down on the world's countries, that may be an accurate statement of where we are. But it is a sobering thought for a country - and a government - which will need to rely more than most on strong growth beyond our shores.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
What so Osboune was out of touch a year a go and now he was right because lots of countries are in trouble?

Try telling that to the Japs who did what Osbourne suggested (nothing) and now are in real Shit.

Yeah ok so we are in debt and its a lot but lets see what you say when in six months time we are paying people to sit on the dole instead of at least paying some tax.

And from what I've heard lots of local goverment workers are already sitting around because their projects have been cancelled. When they start hitting the dole queue and stop spending then the crap will hit every other business.

Sure we will reduce the deficit fast but at what cost ?

Oh yeah I forgot Cameroon has told us that everyone is going to suffer because of the cuts - everyone except the 18 millionaires in the cabinet presumably

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What so Osboune was out of touch a year a go and now he was right because lots of countries are in trouble?

Try telling that to the Japs who did what Osbourne suggested (nothing) and now are in real Shit.

you still struggling with the concept that things were said to create a facade of opposition? i'll judge Osborne on wha the does in power rather than what he might or might not have said in the two years before. seems you've already made your mind up.

isnt it wonderfull that Labour left us with a legacy of needless projects employing tens of thousands, rather than promoting investment that could have created real jobs. like your avatar, just keep bang the drum :wave:

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I think we should wait until we see the effects to see if he is right or not. He hasn't actually done anything yet.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
you still struggling with the concept that things were said to create a facade of opposition? i'll judge Osborne on wha the does in power rather than what he might or might not have said in the two years before. seems you've already made your mind up.

isnt it wonderfull that Labour left us with a legacy of needless projects employing tens of thousands, rather than promoting investment that could have created real jobs. like your avatar, just keep bang the drum :wave:

A facade of opposition - :US:

You think Osbournes got power :laugh:

Brown might have been inept but at least he could add up:wave:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's a problem for some to comprehend but an awful lot of jobs have been created over the last decade and beyond, within the public sector that truly have no justification. To continue to with this mindless "project" is just ludicrous. "Jo" public have to realise that we, like many others worldwide have to cut our basic costs of living. If in the short term that means higher unemployment, so be it. Many of these jobs, as I mentioned have been created to employ rather than benefit the greater good.

The left at present are bleating about the areas in the country most likely to suffer these loss of jobs such as the north east etc. Well I'm sorry that's the true reflection of life. We all worldwide live in a capitalist world irrelevant of the particular countries regime, failure to realise this, is to the determinate of us all. It is paramount that all focus is on the private sector growth and all efforts should be aimed at this.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
It's a problem for some to comprehend but an awful lot of jobs have been created over the last decade and beyond, within the public sector that truly have no justification. To continue to with this mindless "project" is just ludicrous. "Jo" public have to realise that we, like many others worldwide have to cut our basic costs of living. If in the short term that means higher unemployment, so be it. Many of these jobs, as I mentioned have been created to employ rather than benefit the greater good.

The left at present are bleating about the areas in the country most likely to suffer these loss of jobs such as the north east etc. Well I'm sorry that's the true reflection of life. We all worldwide live in a capitalist world irrelevant of the particular countries regime, failure to realise this, is to the determinate of us all. It is paramount that all focus is on the private sector growth and all efforts should be aimed at this.

The public sector can't/ wont grow if we go into a deep recession.

The 40% capital gains tax is going to reduce tax revenues and prevent investment,

If the Euro goes and it looks like it might there is a risk sterling will collapse also.

That might be good for exports if we had some industry left to export.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
just blame new f***ing labour and gordon brown for f***ing this country up just walk round littlehampton and bognor to see what labour have been trying to do c u n t s and I hope they never get in power again

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Chicken Runner. Lets get two things right. So long as you tax on spend and not or income (so at least i have a choice) sterling is here to stay. :)

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Chicken runner. THE PUBLIC SECTOR CAN'T.WONT grow if we go into deep recession ! Who do you think pays for the public sector ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The 40% capital gains tax is going to reduce tax revenues and prevent investment,

a left winger who doesn't want a tax rise :eek: it will be so watered down once its delivered it will only impact city traders. or do you want them protected too?

and why do we want the public sector to grow? we want to see an end to rampant growth of government and its agencies, instead growing the private sector for real solid economic foundations.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
What gets me about all you Tory luvers is that you think that cutting the public sector is the answer.

OK, so lets get rid of a million public sector workers. So thats a million claiming redundancy, a million not paying tax or NI, a million getting unemployment pay, a million not having any money to buy the products the private sector wants us to buy, thousands of jobs going in the private sector because the public sector is so slimmed down it doesn't want, need or afford private sector services, etc, etc.

Perhaps if people realised that both public and private sectors rely heavily on each other there would be less glee on these pages from those suggesting massive public sector cuts.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
What gets me about all you Tory luvers is that you think that cutting the public sector is the answer.

OK, so lets get rid of a million public sector workers. So thats a million claiming redundancy, a million not paying tax or NI, a million getting unemployment pay, a million not having any money to buy the products the private sector wants us to buy, thousands of jobs going in the private sector because the public sector is so slimmed down it doesn't want, need or afford private sector services, etc, etc.

Perhaps if people realised that both public and private sectors rely heavily on each other there would be less glee on these pages from those suggesting massive public sector cuts.
We all know that there are countless jobs in the public sector that are a complete and utter waste of f***ing time and money.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
We all know that there are countless jobs in the public sector that are a complete and utter waste of f***ing time and money.

Indeed, as there are in the private sector, such as consultants, million pound chief execs, dodgy thieving bankers, need I go on.

The point I was making is that by getting rid of loads of public sector workers you will find it costs more than it saves.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Indeed, as there are in the private sector, such as consultants, million pound chief execs, dodgy thieving bankers, need I go on.

The point I was making is that by getting rid of loads of public sector workers you will find it costs more than it saves.
my point is that the taxpayer doesnt pay for pointless private sector jobs.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Cutting public sector jobs will probably cost more than it saves in the short term. However, what happens in the medium to long-term depends on the conditions the government establishes for entrepreneurialism.

Labour has always had difficulties comprehending how business function in the private sector. Red tape has increased during their term in office and the tax system has grown more complex. The environment is not conducive to establishing new businesses. If the Coalition can reverse this then those that lose jobs in the near future may find that new opportunities will arise within the private sector.

However, there is no doubt that things are going to get very, VERY bad before they get better. I honestly believe that the public needs to be weaned off the government teat. I'll declare my hand here. I'm a public servant (UK Border Agency) and I am fearful about what the future holds. I would consider my job to be "frontline" but in the current climate nothing is sacred. I am looking into options regarding retraining should the worst happen. It is not a situation that I relish but I appreciate that it is necessary. A country cannot live beyond its means indefinitely and we, as a nation, need to cut our cloth.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
apart from the nationalised banks and massive subsidies and tax breaks offered to large employers in areas of high unemployment..
Make your mind up, one minute people are hailing the genius and financial acumen of gordon brown ' saving the world ' by bailing out the banks, are you saying he should have done nothing ? as for tax breaks in areas of high unemployment, how do tax breaks that create employment and thus generate income tax actually ' cost ' money ? thats a new one on me .

a left winger who doesn't want a tax rise :eek: it will be so watered down once its delivered it will only impact city traders. or do you want them protected too?

and why do we want the public sector to grow? we want to see an end to rampant growth of government and its agencies, instead growing the private sector for real solid economic foundations.

What like the solid economic foundations the banking industry gave us recently, oh and is that the banking industry that is in the private sector?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here