Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, just how many car parking spaces do we have?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
. If i want to panic, i'll shall panic. In fact i'm panicking already! I live in Southwick, and have to be in Worthing for work by 6pm Saturdays. Contemplating park and ride at Mill Road, the train, the football special buses from Shoreham, when i have more details on where they actually stop, or maybe just take a chance on parking somewhere closeish.

I think I would also be panicking if I had to be in Worthing by 6pm following a 3pm KO on a Saturday. I'm not banking on making it back to Portslade station by that time.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Where issues may remain is for away fans travelling independently .

I agree it is going to be a bit different due to our ground being where it is, but as a regular independent away ground visitor (both driving and public transport) I tend to research and plan a bit, and I've been fine, away grounds guides are normally most helpful.

I imagine there will be one or two entrepreneurial types who will start up, like the field at Coventry by the motorway, ok, Its the best part of a mile to walk to the stadium, but the parking is cheap, its quite well organised, and easy to get away after the game.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
. If i want to panic, i'll shall panic. In fact i'm panicking already! I live in Southwick, and have to be in Worthing for work by 6pm Saturdays. Contemplating park and ride at Mill Road, the train, the football special buses from Shoreham, when i have more details on where they actually stop, or maybe just take a chance on parking somewhere closeish.

I would panic too.
I should imagine that the first few games will carry the time-honoured "Kick -off delayed 15mins owing to crowd congestion."

shellsuit

Feb 5, 2009
If I were you, I'd contact the club about access for disabled attendees when, or maybe before, you purchase any tickets.
I've recently written formally under the Disabilty and Equality Act, following advice from MacMillan, CAB, EOC and even Insider(!). To date, all I've had back is an auto response acknowledgement. I'll PM you if/when I unexpectedly hear something useful.

i dont know what the general rules for disabled parking are at the ground but we have obtained a free parking permit at the ground as we have a wheelchair bound relative with a season ticket in the disabled section,they did mention it would be on a first come basis and it would be considered on levels of mobility.its worth contacting the club,they were very helpful in our case.....while we were at the stadium asking about access this guy was trying to get a space for himself as well when asked to produce his blue badge we all saw him run the 200 yards back to his car and then back to the office....so i guess the club have a difficult job with regard to disabled parking

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
It seems to me that more park and ride car parks are needed. If car use was frowned upon at planning ,then other transport means should be in place,i am not sure they are . For instance a park and ride from the Lewes area would certainly help. I think the Southhampton park and ride is excellent .Maybe the club should listen to the likes of Lord Bracknell.

It seems to me that more park and ride car parks are needed.
I agree. This would be my priority for relieving the problems that seem to be emerging, now that information is seeping out about the outcome of the Club's travel survey.

I wonder whether an additional P&R service from Withdean Stadium has been considered? And I remember the P&R service that I organised for the Tour de France when the event came to Brighton. The selected site was Mill Road - but, in anticipation of there not being enough spaces there, we also secured use of part of the Waterhall playing field as an overflow facility. It's not ideal - being on grass - and doing anything at Waterhall always gets a big NO NO from a variety of people with all sorts of axes to grind. But as an emergency solution to an otherwise intractable problem, it might be worth exploring.

And it is ESSENTIAL that away supporters have access to a P&R site.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
And it is ESSENTIAL that away supporters have access to a P&R site.

Why would they need access to one of those?
The Club's transport model for the AMEX has 100% of away supporters arriving / departing by private coach.

:facepalm:

Why would they need access to one of those?
The Club's transport model for the AMEX has 100% of away supporters arriving / departing by private coach.

:facepalm:
Eejit! Haven't you worked out than when there's a big cup match, there'll be at least 70 coaches bringing away supporters? That will use up every space in the stadium coach park and more. Where will the home fans' coaches go?

Or maybe I haven't calculated the figures correctly?

:jester:

i dont know what the general rules for disabled parking are at the ground but we have obtained a free parking permit at the ground as we have a wheelchair bound relative with a season ticket in the disabled section,they did mention it would be on a first come basis and it would be considered on levels of mobility.its worth contacting the club,they were very helpful in our case.....while we were at the stadium asking about access this guy was trying to get a space for himself as well when asked to produce his blue badge we all saw him run the 200 yards back to his car and then back to the office....so i guess the club have a difficult job with regard to disabled parking

Thanks, mine is a temporary (hopefully) mobility problem due to the effects of anti-cancer chemotherapy coupled with medical advice to avoid "strange" enclosed, crowded spaces such as buses, trains, coaches etc due to an increased infection risk with a depressed immune system. Not uncommon really with people having chemotherapy but all cancer patients are covered by the DEA; atm I've just asked what facilities are available to enable me to see the game. As you've said, nothing has been announced about disabled parking other than there's 40 or so spaces available.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
No matter how many of these threads I read .. and there are gazillions .. I end up with the same conclusion - find an on street parking space as near as possible and hoof the remainder. Other options I've considered are below - am I wide of the mark?

Train from Brighton (after parking up at Hassocks or somewhere) but I anticipate getting a train out will be a nightmare.
One of Mill Road or Racecourse P&R but the prospect of those being full makes it too much of a risk
Parking season ticket is too expensive and talk of taking forever to get out of that anyway
Parking on a bus route - but with limited capacity that could be a long wait too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here