Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So it could all come down to goal difference....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Charlton were relegated tonight so morale will be low.
And their morale will be low on the final game of the season when they play Burnley, who could thrash them.

We're 4/7 to win on Saturday - it's far from guaranteed, and could be a really strange game with the Charlton fan's plans.

I would happily take three 1-0 results. Then we don't need to worry about goal difference. But the way we are playing, we could wine every game 4-0, but Derby and Boro will will really tough games. They could go ether way, as both of them are playing brilliantly.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The same, sadly...
Actually goals scored would work in our favour now. It's currently level, but if we caught GD (we won't) our goals scored would be better.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lets just win the next three games 1-0 and go up so **** burnley, boro and goal difference

I think it'll save a lot of stress and time if we just accept that only three wins will do, whatever the scores.

Tonight's draw means that Boro need seven points, and that will probably be enough for Burnley too (unless we beat Boro on the final day, take the title and relegate them into second)

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Best case scenario I can imagine is us going into last game needing a point with Boro also only needing a point for the title. In other words we win against Charlton and Derby and Burnley lose one of their two games. One game at a time is only way to think though. Lets just make sure we beat Charlton.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
If Burnley get a draw or win on Friday then I'd say that means our only realistic hope is to win our last three. They will clearly beat QPR and Charlton which means they'll either end up with 7 or 9 points from the last three games. Whichever it is, we'll have to get 9, because 7 won't be enough - it is too far-fetched to make up 4 goals with those fixtures, but we obviously know 9 will be enough as it means finishing above Boro (who, incidentally, we'd need to get just 1 point from their next two games to have a chance of gettting out of their reach before the last game - again, not happening).

Ultimately I cannot see Burnley losing the way they are playing (or drawing 2 for that matter based on the opposition), so a showdown at Boro seems more and more likely...

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
http://www.oneboro.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=6951&pid=461655#pid461655

Screenshot.png

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
What will be will be.

1-0 is fine.

It is obvious something special is happening here. Call it destiny, it is in the stars.

3 wins, 1 - 0 is fine. Into the Valley.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It could easily come down to goals scored.
If it does, we will miss out.
I'm going to do some backtracking.

My GD comments apply to us finishing above Burnley on GD, which I don't think is realistic.

However, we could beat Middlesbrough on GD (who'd have thought that a couple of months ago). If they win a game by 1 goal, and draw a game, while we win our next two by a total of 5, we'll go above them on GD. A draw in the last game would be enough.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not see how it can come down to goal difference as the top 3 teams cannot all get 9 points from the remaining games. unless Burnley draw a game and us and Middlesbro draw.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I do not see how it can come down to goal difference as the top 3 teams cannot all get 9 points from the remaining games.
Are you drunk? We could finish level on points with Middlesbrough, with Burnley finishing above us both, so 2nd place will be decided by GD. Or we could finish level on points with Burnley, with Middlesbrough top, again with 2nd place decided on GD.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Anyone slightly disappointed with bringing Sidders on tonight when we were coasting it? Just wondering if we could have got a couple more goals if we'd gone for the jugular... Four goals is still quite a lot to make up, but two on the other hand... I certainly think if we are, say, three up at Charlton, we should go all out to grab a few more.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Us and or Middlesbro have got to drop points on 7th May. If we win all 3 games we will be 1 point better off than Middlesbro even if they win 2 of their games. If Burnley win their 3 it would be us and Burnley promoted. If Burnley or Middlesbro drop any points in their 2 game we would be promoted. So either way GD will not come into it if we win our 3 remaining games.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Us and or Middlesbro have got to drop points on 7th May. If we win all 3 games we will be 1 point better off than Middlesbro even if they win 2 of their games
Yes, that is one example of it not coming down to GD.

If Burnley win their 3 it would be us and Burnley promoted. If Burnley or Middlesbro drop any points in their 2 game we would be promoted. So either way GD will not come into it if we win our 3 remaining games.
But who said we're going to win our 3 games? We've known for ages that winning all our games gets us promoted, but we might not win them all, so it might come down to GD.

You understand that, right?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here