Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So i'm going to be in Chicago for a weekend...

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
What should i DEFINATELY go and do or see?

I'm thinking the Museum of Science and Industry... Probably Sears Tower...

both of those. plus drinks on the 97th(?) floor of the sears which is excellent. plus one of the best seafood restaurants around at shaw's crabhouse, spaggia and smith & wollensky (sister of the famous nyc resto). maybe also get to the house of blues which isfun.

the natural history museum is also excellent

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Don't miss the Cheesecake Factory on the ground floor of the Hancock Building - the triple burger with factory salad is excellent and the cheesecake is to die for

and if you have an evening free take a cab to see the Blue Man Group - great fun theater but don't wear your best clothes!

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
Dont go to Buddy Guy's Blues Club having been out on the razz all day ... if you do you will end up as I did ... fast asleep under a table while the great man plays his stuff...I regret my actions to this day ...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
of course if you have been on the lash, a boat ride on the lake next morning is guaranteed to cre a hangover, especially at this time of year!

what date are you going? St Patrick's day (or the saturday nearest to it) at the end of the month is celebrated more in Chicago than almost anywhere. They even dye the Chicago River green. They absolutely love a British accent (can't tell english from irish) so you could be a celebrity for the weekend!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wear warm clothes, it's bloody freezing.

Sears Tower, John Hancock building, Soldier Field, Wrigley Field, views over the lake, House of Blues, beautiful architecture, Navy Pier, the Natural History Museum, deep pan pizza (I believe it was invented in Chicago), I could go on.

It's a great city, quite underrated in this country.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Natural History Museum is miles bigger and better than ours, and the Aquarium is rather good too.

Re eating, Tufano's Vernon Park Tap near little Italy is quite fun. It's cash only, and has been a haunt of sports stars, minor celebs and Mafiosi for decades.

The night I was there, there were plenty of Italian gents in very expensive suits disappearing into a private room at the back. We also told all the staff to back Domedriver in the Breeders' Cup Mile the following day, and it went in at 25-1.

That was back in 2002 and we've never made it back to claim the free drinks we must be due. Feel free to demand them on our behalf if you go.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Art Institute is a must. That whole area is nice The Art Institute of Chicago

Chicago and (oddly enough) Savanah Georgia celebrate St Patrick's day like mad. If you are there for St Patrick's day kiss your liver goodbye.

Wrigleyville is a great area for bars. Miracle mile if you need shopping for any reason. Hard to have a bad time in Chicago, it is the greatest American city.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Just swallow your pride and take a ride on the open top tourist bus.

Promise it will give you an insight into the City that would take you a week to achieve on foot.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Just swallow your pride and take a ride on the open top tourist bus.

Promise it will give you an insight into the City that would take you a week to achieve on foot.

you can cheat and get the Navy Pier bus and just stay onboard.....its free!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Not sure if they still run it but the gangster tours to see Capones old stomping ground was a very interesting one and gets you into some of the new and old city

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm afraid I spent most of my spare time during a work secondment for a few weeks doing a passable impression of Norm from Cheers in a nearby bar watching a superb Bulls v Knicks play-off series - and at Wrigley Field for the baseball (out of season now, unfortunate). And a World Cup game at Soldier Field (Germany v Spain, Klinsmann at his diving peak). Marvellous.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
she speaks sense :thumbsup:

when are you going? where are you staying?

if mrs starry wasn't such an anti-yank we'd live in chicago. my mind of town :lol:

lots of good suggestions up above. go to hot dougs for hot dogs.

I'm there last week of Feb for work but the previous weekend is mine. I think that's too early for St Patrick's day which is just as well i think as i'm not a big drinker.

I fancy doing the cycle trail along the lakefront but it's probably the wrong time of year.

Thanks for all the suggestions, makes my research easier.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
went there about a month ago for work. Eat at a few places but only had 8 hours for sighsteeing!!

Food wise, went to Grand Lux for lunch on Michigan avenue. Real palm Court class restuarant. Eat at Ginos east (the home of the deep dish pizza) and also at china town (emperors kitchen). I heard that Ed Debevic's is a place to go (waiters get paid to insult you). Go to Bubba Gumps at navy Pier if you like shrimps!! Others have mentioned Cheescake factory already

Did the tram ride (at minus 3 FAHRENHEIT the open top bus didn't run) lots of freebies!! hancock observatory is cheaper for cocktails than sears tower but view is almost as good (only 85 floors compared to 97). Went to united centre for Bulls basketball (they have their own brew pub there). I really like ice hockey live but couldn't get to see Blackhawks (also at united centre) but did see the Wolves who play out near Ohare airport $20 for a rinkside - (or should that say ringside?) seat. It's AHL not NHL but still good standard and they get 8k crowds.

Soldier field is a real sight now they have rebuilt a new stadium within the old 1930 style greek columns (looks like a spaceship has landed in the old stadium). Also get to Millenium Park.

I really enjoyed it despite the work

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
See if Oprah wants to invest in a community football club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here