Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Gus thinks if Vicente had been fit all season we would......

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
From BBC

Brighton boss Gus Poyet: "Vicente has started in the last two games and he's getting fitter.

"I want him to play but I don't want to lose him - we want to keep him fit and if we do that we've got a great chance.

"Imagine if he had been fit for the whole season. Had he been, we could be 10 or 15 points better off."

In other words Top :p

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
If he'd have been fit all season we'd definitely be contending for the automatic spots. Only 9 points away now... here's to hoping! Although we will need a handful of 5-0 wins to get the old goal difference looking healthy :)

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Remember the days when we spent most of the season working out mathematically how many points we needed to avoid relegation.

We were even doing it last season when we were flying.

Fun times.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dangerous thing to say about a fragile player who already has a target on him.

Some fooker will kick him up in the air, soon.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gus is probably right, although that doesn't do justice to the three teams above us who probably have their own ifs and buts and yet still lead the way. But as for the player himself, I don't think there has been a game where Vicente has played and not been the most influential player whilst he's on the pitch.

It'll be interesting to see whether Vicente starts at Forest. Half of me wants him to come on only after 55 mins and absolutely ruin their tired midfield and defence. I'm not sure that he's as influential when he starts.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
It'll be interesting to see whether Vicente starts at Forest. Half of me wants him to come on only after 55 mins and absolutely ruin their tired midfield and defence. I'm not sure that he's as influential when he starts.

I've felt the same about him the last couple of games he's started, but I think the main reason for that is just the fear that something might happen to him or he might not make the next game.

Ultimately though if Gus has been happy to stick him in starting XI for consecutive games then he's gotta be in good enough condition to start every game, and all the time he's fit enough to start we'd be mad not to have him on from the first whistle.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Does that make you a one man team? Pretty much the same reasoning you have for calling us a one man team with Lambert.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Does that make you a one man team? Pretty much the same reasoning you have for calling us a one man team with Lambert.
It's a fair comment.

But if so, then obviously you'd agree with Gus in that we'd be up there with you if Vicente had played as often as Lambert.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I've felt the same about him the last couple of games he's started, but I think the main reason for that is just the fear that something might happen to him or he might not make the next game.

Ultimately though if Gus has been happy to stick him in starting XI for consecutive games then he's gotta be in good enough condition to start every game, and all the time he's fit enough to start we'd be mad not to have him on from the first whistle.

I wonder if there wasn't some sort of ultimatum somewhere ... either:

Gus to Vicente (in Spanish) you gotta fuckin well play or you're history and my reputation is fekked, I've stood up for you long enough and can't make any more excuses

or

TB to Gus You get him on that pitch and playing or I'll tear up his contract and stop his wages and don't give a toss what he threatens me with

Maybe there was a "moment" but he's playing and long may it last ... can't deny I'm with [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] and he's gonna need some protection .. once up in the air that could be him .. let's hope not

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

Gus to Vicente (in Spanish) you gotta fuckin well play or you're history and my reputation is fekked, I've stood up for you long enough and can't make any more excuses

or

TB to Gus You get him on that pitch and playing or I'll tear up his contract and stop his wages and don't give a toss what he threatens me with

Maybe there was a "moment" but he's playing and long may it last ... can't deny I'm with [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] and he's gonna need some protection .. once up in the air that could be him .. let's hope not

or maybe he wasn't fit & now he is?

Oct 25, 2003

or

third option (most likely and almost definitely what actually happened)....he was injured and now he isn't

football clubs really aren't that dramatic

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The thing about Vicente is, he might have a quiet 10 or so minutes, but every time he has been on the pitch he has either scored or set up a goal. It's just a matter of time until he'll do something majestic so we need him to play as many minutes as he can.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Guessing you didn't see the Derby game? EVERYTHING came through him, even more so in the second half. Remember he was only used as an "impact sub" previously due to his fitness. His fitness is improving week by week, he looked absolutely fine just before Gus took him off on Tuesday.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
Guessing you didn't see the Derby game? EVERYTHING came through him, even more so in the second half. Remember he was only used as an "impact sub" previously due to his fitness. His fitness is improving week by week, he looked absolutely fine just before Gus took him off on Tuesday.

That's good to hear. I wasn't at the Derby match, but he was looking tired after about 70 minutes at Blackpool. When he's fit enough to play 90 mins without fading he will be truly terrifying.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
That's good to hear. I wasn't at the Derby match, but he was looking tired after about 70 minutes at Blackpool. When he's fit enough to play 90 mins without fading he will be truly terrifying.

He came off after 83 mins against Derby and just before he went off he did this:

not the sign of a tired man!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Dangerous thing to say about a fragile player who already has a target on him.

Some fooker will kick him up in the air, soon.

I could be wrong, but his injuries woes don't appear to have been down to lumps and bumps, or fragile bones, or muscles twangs. It seems that it's far more about a personal battle, maybe mentally, or maybe a medical condition similar to colitis, whereby he is struggling to maintain his own level of maximum fitness.

I don't think being targetting by cloggers is such an issue we have to try and hide his ability, or avoid talking about it. The guy would have faced far better, faster and more determined hatchet men in La Liga, he can leave the sluggish sloggers in this division in his wake.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I could be wrong, but his injuries woes don't appear to have been down to lumps and bumps, or fragile bones, or muscles twangs. It seems that it's far more about a personal battle, maybe mentally, or maybe a medical condition similar to colitis, whereby he is struggling to maintain his own level of maximum fitness.

I don't think being targetting by cloggers is such an issue we have to try and hide his ability, or avoid talking about it. The guy would have faced far better, faster and more determined hatchet men in La Liga, he can leave the sluggish sloggers in this division in his wake.

Yup. It's like saying Messi wouldn't survive against Stoke. He would, comfortably, because they would never get close enough to clatter him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here