Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Easy....

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I Think KG was inviting a debate with E10 in respect of his damning views on SGE. I would wait until we are actually out of E2008 and then it will be a topical discussion.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
No. Never. Was was alight until he (and ok the FA may have had a part in it) got the Galactico mentality.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I Think KG was inviting a debate with E10 in respect of his damning views on SGE. I would wait until we are actually out of E2008 and then it will be a topical discussion.

Fair point.

But even so, I believe if he was still in charge we would already be looking forward to next Summer.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Fair point.

But even so, I believe if he was still in charge we would already be looking forward to next Summer.

his record in qualifying is testament to that fact

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ahh, just seen this thread. The answer is, of course, an emphatic NO.
Just because the FA f***ed up by appointing McClaren (who was, by general consensus, a disaster waiting to happen), does not mean I wanted Eriksson in the job a minute longer than he was. And no way would I want him back.

Eriksson should have slung his hook after 2004, when he was exposed back then as a busted flush. The team stagnated another 2 years under him, and now McLaren has predictably been proven to be even worse. Right now, Barwick should be beating down Mourinhos door and offering him whatever the hell he wants, so we can have a proper stab at 2010.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Fair point.

Tbe perfectly honest I think you are right. SGE would have been more tactically aware against Israel (A), Croatia (A) and the Maccas at home. It may not have been pulse racing stuff but the job would have been accomplished so that defeat on a skid Ruskie pitch would not have affected matters.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Tbe perfectly honest I think you are right. SGE would have been more tactically aware against Israel (A), Croatia (A) and the Maccas at home. It may not have been pulse racing stuff but the job would have been accomplished so that defeat on a skid Ruskie pitch would not have affected matters.

Give me job done over pulse racing anyday in Qulification groups.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Give me job done over pulse racing anyday in Qulification groups.
But was Sven ever going to take us any further than he had? I doubt it personally. He is not as bad as he is made out, not by a long way, but his flaws were becoming more and more prominent. It was the right time for him to go.

McClaren was never going to be a good replacement, the FA ballsed up, but hopefully this qualifying campaign will make a lot of people in the FA take a long hard look at the direction English football is going in (although I wouldn't count on it). In fact I think that would be a better outcome than us scraping through and having another Euro 2000.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can;t argue with Svens record in getting us qualified of course. Its just the way he royally fucks things up once we are there, because all we have ever done at these tournaments is make up the numbers.

Has anyone forgotten to RANCID displays last summer ? We were a complete embarrassment, and he was incapable of doing anything to change that. Mind you, he didnt exactly help himself wehn he took four strikers, two of whom were crocked and one of which had never played in the top flight, and who he;d never even seen.

Sven back ? You have GOT to be kidding.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Can;t argue with Svens record in getting us qualified of course. Its just the way he royally fucks things up once we are there, because all we have ever done at these tournaments is make up the numbers.

Has anyone forgotten to RANCID displays last summer ? We were a complete embarrassment, and he was incapable of doing anything to change that. Mind you, he didnt exactly help himself wehn he took four strikers, two of whom were crocked and one of which had never played in the top flight, and who he;d never even seen.

Sven back ? You have GOT to be kidding.

No I recall them, Alas we wont have the chance to see them again this year.

I know Sven had his flaws, However most managers do.
You go on about Jose being given what ever he wants, but this is a man who won Titles playing dull football and then bottled it year after year when the pressure was on in the Champions league.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
But was Sven ever going to take us any further than he had? I doubt it personally. He is not as bad as he is made out, not by a long way, but his flaws were becoming more and more prominent. It was the right time for him to go.

McClaren was never going to be a good replacement, the FA ballsed up, but hopefully this qualifying campaign will make a lot of people in the FA take a long hard look at the direction English football is going in (although I wouldn't count on it). In fact I think that would be a better outcome than us scraping through and having another Euro 2000.

I hope so, if anything good is going to come from this it has to be looking at the selection policy of players and managers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no. with Eriksson still in charge, we would have had no Barry, an unfit Beckham playing whenever not actually injured, same for Lampard, Rooney upfront on his own and somthing really stupid like PNeville playing at leftback.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Sven has shown at Man City that he is indeed a good club manager, but he proved (more times than was necessary) that he couldn't get the best out of us at a tournament.

We saw a catalogue of gutless decisions by Sven when he would just bury his head in the sand and hope it all goes away. the top names simply had to play, and when that would show itself time after times as not working he would just blindly go with it again. His precious galacticos wouldn't even get subbed, let alone left out.

That simply wasn't good enough, and the fact that Barwick gave it to a man who is worse, doesn't change the fact one iota.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Right now, Barwick should be beating down Mourinhos door and offering him whatever the hell he wants, so we can have a proper stab at 2010.

Indeed he should, but he won't. For exactly the same reasons as Brian Clough never got the England job. Too self opinionated, too controversial, and simply would not lie down and do as the stuffed shirts at the FA tell him to.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ahh, just seen this thread. The answer is, of course, an emphatic NO.
Just because the FA f***ed up by appointing McClaren (who was, by general consensus, a disaster waiting to happen), does not mean I wanted Eriksson in the job a minute longer than he was. And no way would I want him back.

Eriksson should have slung his hook after 2004, when he was exposed back then as a busted flush. The team stagnated another 2 years under him, and now McLaren has predictably been proven to be even worse. Right now, Barwick should be beating down Mourinhos door and offering him whatever the hell he wants, so we can have a proper stab at 2010.

Couldnt be put more perfectly, and yes get Mourinho in.
Even UB couldnt argue after all he has all the credentials he is normally after.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here